Paying your dept to society.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They should be made to pick up at least three times there bodyweight in rubbish
Isn't that 'weight/sizeist'?:rolleyes: I'm a mere 10.5 stone,so it'd be a lesser sentence for me compared to someone say 17 stone.

Not that i'd drop litter in the first place!:angel:

Stephenite

Membå
I have had some experience of community service - as a countryside contractor in the UK for many years, i may add.

Half don't turn up. Of those that do only one or two will do anything. The one or two will stop after a couple of hours because there are zero consequences for those that don't do anything. Those that have a willingness to work are made fun of by the other ne'erdowells, and feel let down and disrepcted by the community service personell.

But it's been twenty years since I lived in the UK. Maybe things have improved... :whistle:

I pick up litter every day, actually annoying when I can't find any! Normally just the one item or the occasional dog poo. Nowt to do with being a goody just ruins my cycle/walk if I don't. Anyway litter creates litter and I don't want it to ruin my day. I always ring the council up if I find some fly tipping, after i have checked if there's anything worth having. If its on farm land and its not to heavy I will move to the road and then call council.

On one of my last significant bike jaunts I went out towards Torrance and there was a retired guy out and about with a litter picker tidying the small park I had stopped at. I said to him that I wished people on this side of the city had the same sense of civic duty. Those who know the area I live in know that it is hideously littered, but any effort to clean it up would be futile as it would return to the same state almost immediately. The Silverburn shopping mall is so named because of all the abandoned shopping trolleys in the nearby stream.

On a walk a few months ago I saw a lollipop lady, having finished her task for the day, take off her mask and drop it in the middle of the pavement.
I don't get littering in general, moreso when it's people who are supposed to be pillars of the community. I just don't get it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I see no problem with picking up some litter and improving our area, I often do it, it is disgusting that people chuck it out but if we all give say 30 minutes a week to pick a few bits up it would make things nicer. You might find your local council may supply litter picking kits to volunteers, our does. As brits though we are often better at moaning about something rather than doing something about it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I find Denmark to be particularly clean. In about March time our village will organise a couple of days at the weekend where we all go out and collect rubbish from the surrounding area. Most villages around here do it.
Everyone takes sandwiches and a drink. Its a good chance for a catch up.

Most of the drinks cans in Denmark have a tax on them which can be redeemed at supermarkets. You often see dog walkers picking them up if they find them.

I dont think its a civic duty. Its our village, its the right thing to do and its good to meet the neighbours. Its bit like Kick starting the season.

DRM

Guru
I find Denmark to be particularly clean. In about March time our village will organise a couple of days at the weekend where we all go out and collect rubbish from the surrounding area. Most villages around here do it.
Everyone takes sandwiches and a drink. Its a good chance for a catch up.

Most of the drinks cans in Denmark have a tax on them which can be redeemed at supermarkets. You often see dog walkers picking them up if they find them.

I dont think its a civic duty. Its our village, its the right thing to do and its good to meet the neighbours. Its bit like Kick starting the season.
The same in Germany with plastic bottles, it's great fun putting them in the "hole in the wall" at the supermarket to get your ticket for a refund from the person on the till.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The same in Germany with plastic bottles, it's great fun putting them in the "hole in the wall" at the supermarket to get your ticket for a refund from the person on the till.
One of the supermarkets had a plastic recycling area where you posted cans and plastic bottles, into the recycling machine thing. I used to take loads every week. Tesco IIRC, but the scheme stopped. I thought that it was a great scheme. The vouchers, in return, were great and were exchanged for a bit of your shopping bill.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have had some experience of community service - as a countryside contractor in the UK for many years, i may add.

Half don't turn up. Of those that do only one or two will do anything. The one or two will stop after a couple of hours because there are zero consequences for those that don't do anything. Those that have a willingness to work are made fun of by the other ne'erdowells, and feel let down and disrepcted by the community service personell.

But it's been twenty years since I lived in the UK. Maybe things have improved... :whistle:
On the other hand I've had experience of using Community Service "volunteers" and found, with a little direction and encouragement, that they'll work as hard as anyone. I guess it depends on the task, something like litter picking would be harder to manage than a task where there's something made which then lasts and gives much more a sense of purpose.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I see no problem with picking up some litter and improving our area, I often do it, it is disgusting that people chuck it out but if we all give say 30 minutes a week to pick a few bits up it would make things nicer. You might find your local council may supply litter picking kits to volunteers, our does. As brits though we are often better at moaning about something rather than doing something about it.
Agreed, I pick litter from round a local lake, I don't tell anyone nor do I broadcast that I do it. I do it because it makes me feel good and if others get a benefit then that's a bonus. The ice cream van man always offers me a free ice cream, but I give him £2 instead of the £2.50 it should be, so, win, win.

Slick

Guru
On one of my last significant bike jaunts I went out towards Torrance and there was a retired guy out and about with a litter picker tidying the small park I had stopped at. I said to him that I wished people on this side of the city had the same sense of civic duty. Those who know the area I live in know that it is hideously littered, but any effort to clean it up would be futile as it would return to the same state almost immediately. The Silverburn shopping mall is so named because of all the abandoned shopping trolleys in the nearby stream.

On a walk a few months ago I saw a lollipop lady, having finished her task for the day, take off her mask and drop it in the middle of the pavement.
I don't get littering in general, moreso when it's people who are supposed to be pillars of the community. I just don't get it.
Silverburn is only really down the road from me and that's the first time I've heard that.

Top Bottom