Payment issue with tradesperson.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
What would you have done in this situation? I'm just having a job done. the plumber has removed toilet and bath, then the joiner was doing me a new floor and joists. The tiler was supposed to be coming immediately after the floor was completed to board the floor and tile and the toilet and bath were going back in today. The tiler was asking all Friday morning when would the floor be finished, the joiner said he couldn't give an exact time because it was a big job and he didn't know exactly. The tiler arranged with the plumber to basically tile the floor on Sunday instead. The toilet will be on an isolation valve so it can be taken in and out buy the tiler. The plumber agreed to plum in the bath and toilet today and then do the final screw in of the toilet on Monday.
Right, so the plumber did his bit today and I said I'd pay after you finish on Monday. He said he wanted to be paid today as previously arranged, I said yes but the job has changed and I'd pay him on Monday. He said it wasn't his fault the tiler messed around, I said it wasn't mine etc either. He said he was doing me an extra visit at no extra cost. I explained I'd rather pay extra for the visit on Monday and pay on completion. That's how it was left and he wasn't very pleased.He was saying he had to pay the supplier etc. I said tell them you will pay on Monday.
I've been burned loads of times by tradespeople not coming back when they said they would. Would you have paid or did I do right to say payment on total completion? I will pay him definitely. Its been very difficult without a bathroom and toilet as well.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Could you have come to a compromise and paid for some of the work now and paid the rest upon full completion? Not sure what I would do in that situation to be honest but I can see it from the plumber's side if they were depending on receiving payment at a certain date that has now slipped through no fault of their own. Hopefully it will all work out fine though and just another few days before everybody is happy.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Can you? Perhaps he was relying on the cashflow for diesel in his van, paying a supplier bill or an oil topup for his house to keep the kids warm.

You've made an agreement to pay him, it should be honoured.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agree - it's fair and reasonable to pay for what's done so far. Years ago we had a big extension built and the agreement was each month a % complete was written down for each item in the job and we paid up to that amount. Neither us nor the builders were likely to quibble whether this or that window was 50 or 60% complete but overall we'd not overpaid thus nor was the builder out of pocket or with a cashflow problem for work and materials expended.

Same principle for smaller jobs. Pay the guy half, 2/3, 80% or whatever's about fair and everyone should be happy

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Yet you're blaming him by not providing payment
No I'm not paying anyone for work thats not been done for whatever reason. Full stop.

kynikos

Veteran
Except it was (someone's fault) - you failed to properly schedule the other contractors to enable the plumber to complete the work on the day you agreed with him.

Goodwill counts for a lot; don't expect him to come rushing back if you have a problem a few weeks down the line.

CXRAndy

Guru
It always becomes an issue when different trades try to follow on immediately after each other. There are always hiccups, rarely does it all fall into place.

Personally I prefer to do certain jobs myself, taking my time and getting the next trade in a few days later.

To sort this situation.

Pay him 70% of the job, so he can settle his commitments and the rest on completion. Ring him up tonight, telling him you feel bad amd would like to agree to pay most of the bill now-it will help if you ever need further work

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Stage payments always seems sensible to me.
Coordination of various tradesmen is a nightmare as we found when getting a complete bathroom renovation. We paid for materials as soon as they were on site as it assists cashflow but labour was only paid when the job was complete.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Things never go as scheduled where one trade follows another. He should well understand that and be happy with stage payment.

Slick

Guru
I assume he was acting as principal contractor, meaning he is responsible for all and any delays.

I think you were right not to pay although he really should have arranged staged payments before he started work.

His main fight should be with the tiler though.

Top Bottom