Payment issue with tradesperson.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No I'm not paying anyone for work thats not been done for whatever reason. Full stop.
Work has been done.
Not all of it, but maybe 50% would be a sensible compromise.
There has to be trust from both sides in these business relationships. With the job half done and materials bought he has far more to lose than you.

Slick

Guru
50% of the work is of no use to anyone and therefore should not always be met with 50% payment.

Obviously it depends on the type of job but it is far too easy to take the cream off a job and leave a trusting client high and dry.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Except it was (someone's fault) - you failed to properly schedule the other contractors to enable the plumber to complete the work on the day you agreed with him.

Goodwill counts for a lot; don't expect him to come rushing back if you have a problem a few weeks down the line.
You have clearly misunderstood the situation. I didn't know how long the joiner would take as I don't have a crystal ball and he didn't know either as it wouldn't become clear until he got fully into the job. The tiler said he would come as soon as the job was finished full stop.It wasnt a job he could rush, its not like whitewashing a wall.
Its very very rare that a tradesperson returns to any job after money has been paid in the event of problems. I know that much from experience.
Thanks for everyone's opinions and taking the time to reply.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I think a payment of 50% now, as a gesture of goodwill, with the balance on completion should satisfy both parties. He can pay suppliers/refuel his vehicle/feed his family whilst you retain the incentive for him to return as promised.

carpiste

Guru
These guys are all in the building trade, they know the score. Job gets done, they get paid. They are the ones who have to make allowances in any delays, it`s normal and they should be able to cover easily for just a few days! You did right.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
These guys are all in the building trade, they know the score. Job gets done, they get paid. They are the ones who have to make allowances in any delays, it`s normal and they should be able to cover easily for just a few days! You did right.
quite... all this hypothetical nonsense about being unable to refuel his van or feed his family unless the OP pays up is ridiculous!

Slick

Guru
The Plumber has agreed Monday evening is fine now for completion and payment.
Is he on CC? :okay:

Top Bottom