PBP training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doo

Hi Forum Folks,

Thought I'd be brave and ask is anyone training for the PBP next year? What training does that involve? Done it before?

Horrors!

Doo :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well I am totally new to Audax rides and I am also quite new to cycling.

Once I get a bike :biggrin: I am going to start riding very gently and see how I go. If I like it I will increase my distances and see how I feel.

If I can do 100km without any problems then I will seriously start considering PBP for next year, bearing in mind I will have to complete all the qualifying distances as well.

My Baccchetta Giro 26 will arrive next week :thumbsup:

Steve

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ride regularly, get an early season 100k next year, work up to 200, 300, etc. Mix shorter rides in with the qualifiers. Try to build speed so that you can comfortably finish within time. Above all, don't panic.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have recently joined Audax UK, even though I live in Denmark, I will also join the Danish Club.

The qualifying distances are: 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km. But not all Audax rides qualify for PBP so you need to check.

An experienced hand at PBP has advised me that the first thing you do is write a big 90 on your hand. This is how many hours you have to do.

At the end of it you need to say I finished the PBP. Nobody cares how long it took as long as you did it in the time. He told me at the start they set of quicker than the tour de France but he looks at his hand and it say 90. That is how long he has got, and that is how long he will take if he has to. The tortoise always catches the wannabee hares he says.

I have also been advised to plan more on comfort than speed because more drop out to discomfort than to not finishing in time. Obviously you do need to be aware of the speed.

I have a question about the longer rides where rest stops can be added.

Do you have to rest at designated stops or can you just pull over where you want to?

Steve

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The qualifying distances are: 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km. But not all Audax rides qualify for PBP so you need to check.

All qualifiers in the AUK calendar have "[PBP]" in the description.

An experienced hand at PBP has advised me that the first thing you do is write a big 90 on your hand. This is how many hours you have to do...
...I have also been advised to plan more on comfort than speed because more drop out to discomfort than to not finishing in time. Obviously you do need to be aware of the speed.

Yup. Riders who get carried away and rush off at the start are very likely to regret it later in the event.

I have a question about the longer rides where rest stops can be added.

Do you have to rest at designated stops or can you just pull over where you want to?

As long as you stay within the max/min speed window you can stop wherever you like.

Lighthorse

The way I ride Audax is I aim to arrive at the first control 1/2 hour before it closes. Half an hour in case of a puncture. It might be less than 20 kmh average.
Then speed up as I warm up, finishing at about 21 kmh average.

I eat a lot before the ride and lots during the slow ride to the first control.

OP
OP
D

Doo

I do not understand the calender. For example the PBP website says a 200k has to be completed between feb 24th and april 22nd, however there are 200k events in the calender in Jan which say 200k [pbp].

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Cheers, Doo :smile:

Greenbank

Über Member
I do not understand the calender. For example the PBP website says a 200k has to be completed between feb 24th and april 22nd, however there are 200k events in the calender in Jan which say 200k [pbp].

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

The dates are advisory. If it says [PBP] then it'll be a valid qualifying event.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes those dates are just a hint to give you an idea what your schedule can be. Personally I will be trying to get them in well before the dates suggested, weather permitting.

We have not had much snow in Denmark as yet. But last year it started on December 17th and went on for 4 months.

It could end up being a very busy couple of months.

Could we have a section dedicated just to PBP for this year Mr Administrator.

Steve

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Doo,

if I were you I would do what I have just done and join Audax UK.

The magazine they send out is a really good read.

Steve

OP
OP
D

Doo

I am indeed a member of Audax Uk. :smile: I cycled a 200k on saturday.... Ahh, I also feature in the latest arrivee magazine (just a pic doing the hay in a day 200)

Cheers,

Doo :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just found something else out....I think.

On these qualifying rides, if you have not done Audax before you must complete them in the correct order 200, 300, 400, 600.

I cannot do the 600, 200, 400, 300. Is that correct.

Was your 200 a qualifier for PBP Doo?

Steve

Top Bottom