PBP training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Could we have a section dedicated just to PBP for this year Mr Administrator.

There's one over on YACF. Without disrespect to anyone here (there are some folk both here and there anyway), I'd recommend you check that out. Generally speaking, you get more/better advice there than here. Well, certainly more!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There's one over on YACF. Without disrespect to anyone here (there are some folk both here and there anyway), I'd recommend you check that out. Generally speaking, you get more/better advice there than here. Well, certainly more!

I switch between the two as well Vello.

Steve

OP
OP
D

Doo

Hi, my 200k was not a qualifier. To my knowledge, no event in the UK is a qualifier until Jan 2011, and then only BRM events.

Cheers, Doo :smile:

ps Am doing a 200k on dec 11th, but my first qualifier 200k is jan 22nd, all being well.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have just found something else out....I think.

On these qualifying rides, if you have not done Audax before you must complete them in the correct order 200, 300, 400, 600.

I cannot do the 600, 200, 400, 300. Is that correct.

Steve

You can do them in any order, and substitute shorter with longer. Just ensure they're marked "BRM [PBP]".

zigzag

Veteran
a question for those who have gone through pbp registration before. let's say i've completed the qualifying events successfully. how do pbp organisers know about the rides that i've done? does the organiser of qualifying rides send them the list of the finishers (name and auk number), or is it for me to send them any forms or cards? thanks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
a question for those who have gone through pbp registration before. let's say i've completed the qualifying events successfully. how do pbp organisers know about the rides that i've done? does the organiser of qualifying rides send them the list of the finishers (name and auk number), or is it for me to send them any forms or cards? thanks.

If you are an AUK member I think they can arrange the registration for you and if you have the handbook I think it explains it in there.

What is your cycling background ZigZag?

Steve

zigzag

Veteran
If you are an AUK member I think they can arrange the registration for you and if you have the handbook I think it explains it in there.

What is your cycling background ZigZag?

Steve

if registration is arranged via auk, then it's good and convenient. regarding cycling background, i started commuting by bike 4 years ago, done couple of charity rides. then signed up for lel, realised during the ride that i'm not fit enough, but somehow managed to finish. then started riding longer distances, overnight rides, went to spinning classes once a week. now i'm in a good shape and can fit within audax time limits comfortably without overstretching myself. i also do a bit of running (5-10km/week), ran london marathon this year and got a place for next year.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
All BRM events worldwide are validated by Audax Club Parisien. If you've ever done a BRM, your name is in their list.

Next year the registration process for PBP will be different. The details will be announced early in January. It'll be mostly online, but you'll probably still have to post physical documents to AUK.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I cannot do the 600, 200, 400, 300. Is that correct.
Steve
You can do them in any order, and substitute shorter with longer. Just ensure they're marked "BRM [PBP]".
You are still bound by the limiting dates for the various distances, and you can't count an event twice.
So you can't do a 600 in mid May and then a 400 in mid June because the 400 is after the 400 closing date, and if you count the 600 as a 400 you've missed on a qualifying 600 (assuming no other 600).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You are still bound by the limiting dates for the various distances, and you can't count an event twice.
So you can't do a 600 in mid May and then a 400 in mid June because the 400 is after the 400 closing date, and if you count the 600 as a 400 you've missed on a qualifying 600 (assuming no other 600).

Sorry, but yes, you can. The distance windows are advisory only. ACP have made this explicit. The only thing you need to look for is the [PBP] tag.

(In previous years we have stuck to the windows, but quite possibly didn't need to).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sorry, but yes, you can. The distance windows are advisory only. ACP have made this explicit. The only thing you need to look for is the [PBP] tag.

(In previous years we have stuck to the windows, but quite possibly didn't need to).

I think you are correct Ian. On the PBP website it states:

The recommended planning for French organizers in 2011 is as follow : :
  • BRM 200 km of February 24 to April 22
  • BRM 300 km of April 07 to May 20
  • BRM 400 km of April 28 to June 03
  • BRM 600 km of May 17 to June 17
I am sure I read somewhere that if you had not done an Audax ride in the past you had to do the rides in order, but if I did I cannot find it.

It makes sense for me to do them in the correct order for 2 reasons. It appears on most calendars that the 200 is ran first and second is that the furthest I have ever ridden is about 20 miles so I am not sure if I can drag myself to the end of 200km.

Steve

ChuckoLotte

Good luck! Give it a try. I did a few brevets (my first) this year and enjoyed them a lot (the longest was 400k). There is a learning curve, however. It's not just a question of conditioning, but of following route sheets, optimum equipment, nutrition, night-riding, etc. Of course if you succeed in qualifying you will have sorted much of that out.
Hi Forum Folks,

Thought I'd be brave and ask is anyone training for the PBP next year? What training does that involve? Done it before?

Horrors!

Doo :smile:

ChuckoLotte

It sounds as tho you have a reasonable plan. Keep in mind however that the PBP organizers are anticipating receiving more entries in 2011 than the 5000 or so spaces they can handle. One result of this is they are staggering the entry submission dates for riders, depending on brevets they've completed in 2010. Generally riders who've done more brevets get to enter earlier than those who've done fewer. Once the limit is reached no more entries will be accepted. The process is more complicated than I've indicated but the point is that it's not as straightforward as doing the qualifying rides and sending off your application.
Enjoy your new bike!
Well I am totally new to Audax rides and I am also quite new to cycling.

Once I get a bike :biggrin: I am going to start riding very gently and see how I go. If I like it I will increase my distances and see how I feel.

If I can do 100km without any problems then I will seriously start considering PBP for next year, bearing in mind I will have to complete all the qualifying distances as well.

My Baccchetta Giro 26 will arrive next week :thumbsup:

Steve

Fiona N

Veteran
I understood that there are national quotas and that in previous editions of the event, not all the UK quota has been filled.
Anyone like to comment?

Top Bottom