PBP training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We'll know the exact quotas for les etrangers after the Jan 15th meeting in Paris. Our best guess is that the UK will be okay, but you never know.

Fiona N

Veteran
I just ask as, having been moderately interested in doing the qualifications with mind to possibly riding the event, I managed to get my (highly competitive, Ironman-training) sister also interested. So I could be committed (:huh:) by default.

Sister also lives in warmer climes than the Lake District so could well have more clement qualifying events than the northern ones I was identifying - how unfair :ohmy:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to be on the safe side I am a member of AudaxUK and also Audax Randonneurs Danmark. I will be submitting my cards to both groups. But even then there is no guarantee to get a place.

It is good to see the event is a success though.

Steve

BAGBOG

Well I am totally new to Audax rides and I am also quite new to cycling.

Once I get a bike :biggrin: I am going to start riding very gently and see how I go. If I like it I will increase my distances and see how I feel.

If I can do 100km without any problems then I will seriously start considering PBP for next year, bearing in mind I will have to complete all the qualifying distances as well.

My Baccchetta Giro 26 will arrive next week :thumbsup:

Steve

I have done 4 PBP and feel you need to start "training" 18 months before. The best preparation is to do what Auk call RRTY i.e. Randoneur Round the Year. That is do at least one 200k ride each month over a 12 month period. That will get you used to the distance in all weathers which is important. It makes sure your bike is up to the task as is your equipment, clothing and very importantly lighting. The longer qualifying distances will inform you how you like to ride, fast with long rests, fast with no rests, fast with short rests or slow with no rests. It is also when you should get your calorie intake correct. Find out what you tolerate long before you get to Paris. Oh, and finally get in as many hills as you can. Go to the Alps or Pyrenees. PBP is not Alpine but neither is it flat. Rolling would be a good description. Finally you will need a certain amount of luck. There are a multitude of reasons why people fail to get back to Paris. Most of them are fit enough, all of them have qualified but around 15% fail everytime.

OP
OP
D

Doo

I guess it's good news for UK folk that quota's have not been filled if we are looking for a place. I really want to enter PBP and hope this is possible, I cycled 9 audax events in the 2010 season but only one was 300k (my furthest) - wonder what my chances of getting a place are? Another 200k event planned tomorrow.

Doo :smile:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have done 4 PBP and feel you need to start "training" 18 months before. The best preparation is to do what Auk call RRTY i.e. Randoneur Round the Year. That is do at least one 200k ride each month over a 12 month period. That will get you used to the distance in all weathers which is important. It makes sure your bike is up to the task as is your equipment, clothing and very importantly lighting. The longer qualifying distances will inform you how you like to ride, fast with long rests, fast with no rests, fast with short rests or slow with no rests. It is also when you should get your calorie intake correct. Find out what you tolerate long before you get to Paris. Oh, and finally get in as many hills as you can. Go to the Alps or Pyrenees. PBP is not Alpine but neither is it flat. Rolling would be a good description. Finally you will need a certain amount of luck. There are a multitude of reasons why people fail to get back to Paris. Most of them are fit enough, all of them have qualified but around 15% fail everytime.

Good advice (and rather more than I generally do).

I'm planning to be at the meeting when the quotas are announced. So let's wait and see.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks for that advice Bagbog.

Obviously starting training 18 months before is out of the window, but that would have been nice.

The first brevet held in Denmark is not until 2nd April. The reason behind that is because we can still be up to our heads in snow in May. That means doing one every month is not possible. The first one in Northern Germany that I can find is 5th March, for the same reason I would expect.

I set myself this challenge for 2011 fully knowing that it is going to be hard. But why would you set yourself easy challenges? I am going to take all the advice I can get from anywhere and then process it. If Audax riding riding is anything like motorbike touring I can imagine getting advice from people who have never been further than the end of the street, but swear the advice they are giving you is correct, because someone told them it was.

Thankfully you are not in this catagory Bagbog.

I have joined Audax Randonneurs danmark and they always take a good party to PBP and so hopefully they will be able to point me in the right direction.

My biggest problem at the moment is that my Bacchetta Giro 26 arrives next week and I have never ridden a 2 wheel recumbent, In fact I have never seen one up close, apparently they take a bit of getting used to.

I have got the winter to carry out lots of research as what I should be wearing, eating and sorting out on the bike but I know the only way I will get through this is to put the mileage in.

Another interesting sideline to this challenge is that I have started a Blog, which is another first for me as I am a total klutz when it comes to computers. My daughter said to me "Dad you are the only person I know who uses a pen and paper to write letters". I am only 52, she thinks I am a relic. The Blog will be an easy way for me to keep a record of the challenge. Maybe we will get a book out of it. Well if Andy Allsop can do it why can`t we all?

I do not know if this works but here is the link.

http://audaxvirgin.blogspot.com/

Steve

BAGBOG

Thanks for that advice Bagbog.

I have joined Audax Randonneurs danmark and they always take a good party to PBP and so hopefully they will be able to point me in the right direction.
Steve

Steve, I must admit I have looked for the Danish contingent to ride with on each of the PBP I have been in. There is always a good crowd. They are excellent company and, in general, they ride very well as a group. They tend to look after each other.

The advice I gave about RRTY would be ideal but if not possible then it can be done with determination on less. I did my first PBP in 1995 and had only ridden over 100 miles on one occasion before I started the qualifying events. So it can be done, it is just a little harder thats all. There is no substitute for hours on the bike because that is what PBP is about.

On most qualifying events I tend to ride alone. If I get company then it can be a bit of a bonus but on long rides it is very difficult to find a partner who will suit. Riding alone can give you a lot of inner strength and, for me, boosts self confidence.

On something like PBP you, or your partner, will go through difficult times I prefer to go through these by myself. Company can help but it can also be detrimental. Some of my friends almost never ride alone because they need the support of others due to the perceived benefits of drafting behind them.

PBP is like no other ride. I tend to avoid the British group because I have been with them all year and I want PBP to be different hence I look for other nationalities to ride with, if I feel in need of company at any time.

Obviously at night it can be better in a group because of the addition lights. Again I do not feel the need to be with anybody at night because I have managed to put a really good light system together. I can only remember it being out shone once in the last PBP.

The average PBP, for me, would see me riding alone for 80% of the time after the first night has split the big groups up.

I have always ridden to Cahaix before resting which I do between 24 and 26 hours, generally. I have always booked a hotel, get there for about 12 midnight and sleep until 7 had breakfast and be on the road by 8. A nice trip to Brest then your on your way home with half the job done and loads of time left. It has worked for me everytime but will not suit everybody.

yello

The average PBP, for me, would see me riding alone for 80% of the time after the first night has split the big groups up.

I didn't think it was possible to ride alone on PBP! I thought the number of riders prevented that. At least, that was the impression I'd formed; stories of endless streams of rear red lights showing the path ahead etc!

But it pleases me to hear it can be done as, frankly, the number of riders on PBP actually puts me off the event. Like you, I ride alone. I prefer it (which is fortunate because, in reality, I have little choice!) This will be my first PBP (and so am looking for experienced comment) but I've ridden LEL and would agree that doing the preparatory rides alone was good practice; physically, comfort & equipment testing... AND mentally. You do learn to tough it out when needed. Even something simple like getting yourself up at 4am to do a DIY 300 is character building; when it'd be SO simple to go back to sleep because nobody (but you) gives a damn.

I hope you stick around on this forum and offer more insights. I know, come the time, I'm going to want to start thinking of loose strategy, and alternatives, for how I'm going to tackle PBP.

ChuckoLotte

I guess it's good news for UK folk that quota's have not been filled if we are looking for a place. I really want to enter PBP and hope this is possible, I cycled 9 audax events in the 2010 season but only one was 300k (my furthest) - wonder what my chances of getting a place are? Another 200k event planned tomorrow.

Doo :smile:

There's some information regarding number of entrants, etc. in this article, also some other info re PBP-

http://janheine.word...ate-all-riders/

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I didn't think it was possible to ride alone on PBP!

It's easy enough, after the first few kms, not to be in a group. As the ride progresses it's quite easy not to see other riders for short periods, but they're never far away (unless you're off-course - I know this).

Top Bottom