PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Problem is opposite - need the big one! The card came with one, but this had been lost at some point. And it looks to be pretty specific to that brand also, it has odd fixing points. I'll bodge it if needed.
Yeah guess it is quite a light card so pcie slot should give it decent support?

On the processor side again, if the 3960x is toast, and I don't want to be bothered with a mere 4-core 3820, the 3930K is cheaply available, and performs almost identically to the 3960X, apart from overclocking potential, which I won't use anyhow.

On the processor side again, if the 3960x is toast, and I don't want to be bothered with a mere 4-core 3820, the 3930K is cheaply available, and performs almost identically to the 3960X, apart from overclocking potential, which I won't use anyhow.
Hate to say it but cheap for a reason :sad:
The lowly Intel 12400F at £170 has double the single core grunt of the 10 year old 3930K ... crikey it's as fast as my 18 month old i9 :wacko:

Like you said though, depends what you are using it for, and changing an entire platform is an expensive pain in the a*s

Hate to say it but cheap for a reason :sad:
The lowly Intel 12400F at £170 has double the single core grunt of the 10 year old 3930K ... crikey it's as fast as my 18 month old i9 :wacko:

Like you said though, depends what you are using it for, and changing an entire platform is an expensive pain in the a*s
Certainly true if raw power is the requirement, but as my aim is a ridiculously over-powered standard desktop, it will be, shall we say, more than adequate? The mobo will actually run Xeons up to 12-core/24 threads!

The new-to-me Asus P9X79 motherboard, complete with 32GB of 1866MHz DDR3 Corsair RAM. Will start the build later.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ram arrived today , not sure how much time i will get free today even though im off as mini ck1 at hospital but will try asap

Wow, never seen that many RAM sticks on mobo, looks great though.
I am getting the urge to upgrade an old Sandybridge i3 system I have knocking about. Assume it could run Win 10?
Quad-channel memory control! That was quite the gift, all that Dominator Platinum RAM, it still sells for a good few quids.
Core 2 Duos easily run Win 10, so yes. Drop in an i7-2600K for more brute force! What plans for it if you get it going?

When I built this, it was understood that the 3960X might be duff, and possibly also 2 RAM sticks. Sure enough, at one point, 2 sticks dropped out, leaving 24GB recognised. Just to be absolutely certain, I tried some other RAM - all OK. I then refitted the Dominator RAM a stick at a time, rebooting in between each stick. All were recognised, and they still are. This leads me to believe that some of the problems with this board was contaminated slots. This board has had this RAM fitted for nearly a decade, so it is possible. Following this train of though, I've given the i7-3960X a thorough bath in isopropanol and will give it one last go when I have some time. Got to be worth a shot, this was once, as mentioned by @Grant Fondo , a grand's worth of silicon...

Top Bottom