PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Can you give exact make and model? Will see if I have anything in the parts bin.
Update mobo rs/rx482sb400

Bios phoenix 6.00 26/09/2005

System manufacturers
Rs480
Model
Awrdacpi

As I've had little luck persuading the Mac Pro 2,1 to run anything like a modern MacOS, the next idea is to turn it into a Windows 10 machine. Still fairly tricky due to the 32-bit EFI in these, but Youtube says it can be done, so who am I to argue? Certainly well above minimum spec with twin 3GHz Xeons and 32GB RAM!

Spending quality time with the Mac Pro 2,1, turning it into a *gasp* pure Windows 10 box.
Surprisingly, much simpler than persuading it to run MacOS X El Capitan. Once it's actually finished getting itself together, we'll see how it performs.
At present, it's running from a fairly ancient 200GB 7200rpm SATA hdd, so as it stands, it won't be too snappy. But if all's well, then I'll clone it to an SSD, which will help a lot.
Fingers crossed!

One of the oddities with the above hybrid is that, for a good while, W10 would not, when modified for this task, fit on a standard DVD. It has shrunk slightly since, so was able to use a 21H1 ISO for it, which will save days of updating.

Adventures with Apple now at an end. The machine works really well on its own OS. But getting it to run something more modern is too much like hard work. Never mind, there is still some market for these, particularly in the state it is now in, so I'll move it on at no loss.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Adventures with Apple now at an end. The machine works really well on its own OS. But getting it to run something more modern is too much like hard work. Never mind, there is still some market for these, particularly in the state it is now in, so I'll move it on at no loss.
4,1s & 5,1s are much easier in those respects. Only problem, modern macOS requires a recent enough AMD GPU…even the earliest ones are £100 at the mo!

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got 4x 1gb sticks

Attachments

• 20200904_122141.jpg
    20200904_122141.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom