PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it's that time again.
My younger son has upgraded his power station-sized PC, and the redundant innards are headed my way.
These include an Asus P9x79 motherboard, copious amounts of DDR3 RAM (it has eight, count 'em, eight slots) and a choice of two different Sandy Bridge Extreme LGA2011 processors a 3820 and a 3960x.
As before, I will run all this most conservatively in order that it survives as long as possible. The 3960x may actually be toast, but we'll see. It was showing signs of stress and this prompted the upgrade to a 10-core, 20-thread i9 system.

Well, it's that time again.
My younger son has upgraded his power station-sized PC, and the redundant innards are headed my way.
These include an Asus P9x79 motherboard, copious amounts of DDR3 RAM (it has eight, count 'em, eight slots) and a choice of two different Sandy Bridge Extreme LGA2011 processors a 3820 and a 3960x.
As before, I will run all this most conservatively in order that it survives as long as possible. The 3960x may actually be toast, but we'll see. It was showing signs of stress and this prompted the upgrade to a 10-core, 20-thread i9 system.
That 3960x was a beast back in the day ... a thousand quids worth of processor, hope its not bricked.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was thinking of doing that but assumed that if the new driver really IS buggy then Intel would fix it pretty damn quick...

Weeks/Months, you say? Hmm... :whistle:

The roll back option is greyed out. I did find where to get older drivers from Intel but I think I'll leave it for now and see if they fix it before I get totally fed up with it.
I am just downloading the latest graphics driver update. It seems quite big. Let's see if that fixes the problem... :whistle:

Problem is these older cpu's bottleneck any half decent modern gpu, I even had that issue with a i7 6700K.
Yup, memory bandwidth part of that. For those lucky enough to run those x79 chipsets, it was less of a problem, and it kept my son on top of modern games until the cpu started to misbehave. He used an RTX 20something with it.

Yup, memory bandwidth part of that. For those lucky enough to run those x79 chipsets, it was less of a problem, and it kept my son on top of modern games until the cpu started to misbehave. He used an RTX 20something with it.
You certainly get a few more years out of X79 and the extra cores help as well.

You certainly get a few more years out of X79 and the extra cores help as well.

As said, I'm going to be using all this power as an office PC, so hopefully it will enjoy the rest! I'm not getting the Titan X back, so it will be running the GT1030 from my SFF box. More than sufficient for what I want, and not a remote chance of bottlenecking anything. Will have to do some bracket-fettling on the card, though, as it has a low-profile one on at the moment.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got a couple of HP Elite Mini PC's at home for 'media' and Zwift - usually pick a couple up as they are getting 'replaced' in corporate swap outs. You can't really upgrade them other than a little bit of RAM but they will run Disney, Netflix etc and Zwift at the same time ! We've one under the TV for Disney and Redbull as out Samsung TV no longer supports the apps, and one in the garage running Zwift. Just picked up a newer one, that's really tiny - just need to get that all formatted.

As said, I'm going to be using all this power as an office PC, so hopefully it will enjoy the rest! I'm not getting the Titan X back, so it will be running the GT1030 from my SFF box. More than sufficient for what I want, and not a remote chance of bottlenecking anything. Will have to do some bracket-fettling on the card, though, as it has a low-profile one on at the moment.
Titan X, very nice. I dread to think what the latest Titan would cost given the daft prices being demanded? I can see me hanging on to the 3080 for a very long time.^_^

Annoyingly, I cannot find either a long bracket for the GT1030, nor a short one at other than silly price for the Radeon HD2400 Pro which is going into the SFF box. Actually cheaper to buy a whole low-profile Radeon 2400 Pro! Nuts. Talking direct to MSI for the full-height bracket for the 1030, no sign of anything on ebay...

Annoyingly, I cannot find either a long bracket for the GT1030, nor a short one at other than silly price for the Radeon HD2400 Pro which is going into the SFF box. Actually cheaper to buy a whole low-profile Radeon 2400 Pro! Nuts. Talking direct to MSI for the full-height bracket for the 1030, no sign of anything on ebay...
is it specific to the 1030 or would these generic ones fit?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20375941...029&customid=876dacb63cf8db7ab483fd3461f07b06

Top Bottom