PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
The 2011 MacBook Pro upgrade update has proven to be a bit of a disaster. Battery supplied by Replace Base (who had been very helpful) turned out to be the wrong one, so replacement postponed until I can get the correct one.

Took a while but got the iOS updated to High Sierra. Think that’s the most recent it will run.

RAM increase to 8gb (the max I believe) was very straightforward.

Sadly, I can’t say the same about the hard drive to ssd swap. Crucial MX500 1Tb. I’ve fitted one to a Windows PC before so was expecting it to be relatively easy. Not so. Instructions seemed simple enough but whatever I did I couldn’t get the drive formatted. tried it on an iMac, same problem. Just to prove that it wasn’t a faulty I drive, I mounted it to a Win 10 PC, and after much buggering about managed to get it formatted and set up as a second drive. Problem seemed to be something to do with a partition that had been created.
So, back to the Macbook, which would recognise it but wouldn’t format. I gave up.

Will have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and put my hand in my pocket. ☹️

The 2011 MacBook Pro upgrade update has proven to be a bit of a disaster. Battery supplied by Replace Base (who had been very helpful) turned out to be the wrong one, so replacement postponed until I can get the correct one.

Took a while but got the iOS updated to High Sierra. Think that’s the most recent it will run.

RAM increase to 8gb (the max I believe) was very straightforward.

Sadly, I can’t say the same about the hard drive to ssd swap. Crucial MX500 1Tb. I’ve fitted one to a Windows PC before so was expecting it to be relatively easy. Not so. Instructions seemed simple enough but whatever I did I couldn’t get the drive formatted. tried it on an iMac, same problem. Just to prove that it wasn’t a faulty I drive, I mounted it to a Win 10 PC, and after much buggering about managed to get it formatted and set up as a second drive. Problem seemed to be something to do with a partition that had been created.
So, back to the Macbook, which would recognise it but wouldn’t format. I gave up.

Will have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and put my hand in my pocket. ☹️
Put the drive in the Windows pc and fire up Disk Manager utility. Delete all partitions. Move it over and try from scratch. Doubt the drive is faulty, it's just no longer "clean".

Proto

Legendary Member
Put the drive in the Windows pc and fire up Disk Manager utility. Delete all partitions. Move it over and try from scratch. Doubt the drive is faulty, it's just no longer "clean".
Machine and drive now in Bristol so I can’t check but pretty sure all partitions deleted when in the Windows machine (couldn’t allocate a drive letter until I deleted a spurious partition).
If booted with the drive connected by Sata - usb cable, the MacBook would see the drive (sometimes), report it needs ‘initialising’. Next step is ‘erasing’ but it falls over and reports something like ‘unable to write to the last block of the device, and fails. Did this on both the MacBook and my iMac. Gave up.

athlon 64x2 3800
can take 2 gig of ram but only got 1x 1 gb stick that works ddr400 stick

win 7 but unregistered keys i have dont work
have a tp link wifi adaptor but its not recognizing the usb stick with the drivers
Well, the chipset for that cpu can usually take 4GB RAM, but it may have been hobbled by the manufacturer. Also surprised it's not DDR2 memory. I had a Toshiba laptop with an older cpu than that (Athlon 64 x2 TK-57) which was on a ddr2 chipset. As for the other symptoms, sound like it might be dying anyhow.

The only other thing I can think of is that it simply doesn't have enough ram to cope with anything...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well, the chipset for that cpu can usually take 4GB RAM, but it may have been hobbled by the manufacturer. Also surprised it's not DDR2 memory. I had a Toshiba laptop with an older cpu than that (Athlon 64 x2 TK-57) which was on a ddr2 chipset. As for the other symptoms, sound like it might be dying anyhow.
well i got it to boot to win 7 for a bit but now its been sat on the loading screen for over an hour , linux will not even load from the disc now as that freezes at the load screen :sad:

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
I was given a Samsung 980 PCIe stick for Xmas & it’s the best hard drive I’ve ever had. Tiny, easy to install & fast.

Top Bottom