PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2022 PC cases are starting to go 'wood effect' like 70's hi-fi ... wonder if it will catch on?
1670874168028.png

I'll admit, they look better than my first cream coloured 286 :laugh:
1670874335096.png

1670874370435.png

Tried installing Win 11 on my 2016 laptop today, cpu not good enough as a '6 series' Intel ... shall stick with Win10
Download a program called Rufus, currently version 3.21. Select and insert an empty 8GB+ USB stick. Ensure Rufus is 'looking at' that stick. Ensure you have the Win 11 .iso file you need. Select that file is Rufus. Rufus will then eject a pop-up asking you how you want to modify the iso as it is written to the USB stick. This will enable you to install 11 on anything, just about.
Having said all that, I only have one Win 11 machine, the i7-2600K box. The rest are 10. Might upgrade the Asus TP200S to 11 now that it will pass all bar the cpu requirements.

A definite rant: wanted, found, purchased, a half-decent mini-PCIe wifi-bluetooth combo card for the Asus S200E laptop. All installed, no BT. Faint, familiar alarm bells were sounding. Yup, this Intel card can only have the BT part activated by whoever is building the system, for some fiddling regulatory reason. Tried fruitless for some time to access a driver, to no avail. Just to increase general irritation, if I fire up a live Linux system on it, the Bluetooth is detected and fully activated without issue.

:angry::angry::angry:

A definite rant: wanted, found, purchased, a half-decent mini-PCIe wifi-bluetooth combo card for the Asus S200E laptop. All installed, no BT. Faint, familiar alarm bells were sounding. Yup, this Intel card can only have the BT part activated by whoever is building the system, for some fiddling regulatory reason. Tried fruitless for some time to access a driver, to no avail. Just to increase general irritation, if I fire up a live Linux system on it, the Bluetooth is detected and fully activated without issue.

:angry::angry::angry:

That's annoying ... no doubt it mentions plug 'n' play with that card?

Solved it, I think. Did some more digging and found a driver lurking in the repositories for a certain model of Dell XPS13 laptop. Unusually, it didn't object to being installed on a non-Dell machine, but then it's really an Intel driver anyhow. Will test it properly for function today.

Solved it, I think. Did some more digging and found a driver lurking in the repositories for a certain model of Dell XPS13 laptop. Unusually, it didn't object to being installed on a non-Dell machine, but then it's really an Intel driver anyhow. Will test it properly for function today.
:okay:
so glad its easier (usually) with drivers these days.
i remember the faff of having to load graphics card drivers off floppy disk, which generally took 5 attempts, or more like 15 if you had two cards in SLI or crossfire mode ... it could be a right royal pain in the a*se, particularly AMD for some reason.

* even in 2015 it could be a real mither ..... these two had serious driver crash issues, gave it three months then they went on ebay and were replaced by a single Nvidia card .... no more problems :santa:
1671463576022.png

Have finally received a supposedly-trashed Asus S200E for spares. It works. Have now built one higher spec machine out of the two, to give me a Core i3-2365M cpu instead of the Pentium 987.
Not the easiest job, but nice outcome. And this one had the correct wifi/Bluetooth card in so no problem there either. The only downside to these things is the growing collection of slim 2.5" 500GB hard drives...

Get a Pi or old laptop and make yourself a NAS box.
My main desktop has a 1.5TB secondary drive, trying to get through sorting everything to fit on that! If I had a larger case, I'd use the little drives as a RAID array. But then I still have 2x1TB 3.5" drives that would be better for that...
They'll probably all just stay sitting in the cupboard...

Top Bottom