PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
why do you need an SSD that big?
I like PC gaming.

Milzy

Guru
What type (SATA 2.5? M.2 NVMe)?
Well as much as I like M.2 NVMe & have a modern mobo, you only see the speed benefits when transferring media. Gaming wise nothing in it so I may as well save a few £’s & go SSD.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well as much as I like M.2 NVMe & have a modern mobo, you only see the speed benefits when transferring media. Gaming wise nothing in it so I may as well save a few £’s & go SSD.
You mean SATA 2.5 I think....Crucial MX500 probably the best bang for the buck.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ive been using Kingston SSD's since 2015. The biggest 2.5 Sata SSD i have is a Kingston A400 960gb which is absolutely reliable and is subject to heavy use on my end. No issues whatsoever, had it now 2 years.

StuAff

I'm minded to avail myself of an old but powerful Mac Pro 2.1 going locally. Never had any Apple gear before (OK, an iPhone 3GS!).
Good place to start?
Better bet would be a 4,1 or 5,1. Earlier models can't run anywhere near a modern OS & applications, either at all or without many complicated hoops. Also considerably poorer performance & upgrade options.

StuAff

Better bet yes, also hugely more expensive.
This is just for messing about, really.
4,1s are as low as £130 on eBay now (admittedly for a low spec, but apart from GPUs parts are cheap, really cheap- £40 for a fast 6-core Xeon!). I paid £550 or so for my 5,1 but that was heavily upgraded (and I got some money back by selling parts I didn't need). A 2,1 might still be a good deal, if it's cheap enough.

http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html is everything you need to know about what you can and can't do with the various generations.

It's a reasonable spec, 2xquad 3ghz 771 Xeons 16gb ram, 7700 base gpu. It's already been finagled to run El Capitan and Win 10 64-bit, so some of the work is done.
85 beer chits, and in very good condition.

The other point is that it's merely an exercise in learning something about OS. A 1GB iMac might be OK for that, but I like a bit of poke in my computers... Irrational maybe! But I want it to be able to respond if I ask something substantial of it. So that particular Pro seemed a good idea. Unfortunately, he's not answering messages. :sad:

Typing this from Os X Lion 10.7.5. This version of Safari doesn't render Cyclechat well. Once I've upgraded the GPU, I'll switch to El Capitan and work from there.
This machine runs its RAM very hot, so will be investigating apps to more directly control the fans. Other bonuses with this box is that it already had wifi and bluetooth, so those were things I didn't have to add.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Typing this from Os X Lion 10.7.5. This version of Safari doesn't render Cyclechat well. Once I've upgraded the GPU, I'll switch to El Capitan and work from there.
This machine runs its RAM very hot, so will be investigating apps to more directly control the fans. Other bonuses with this box is that it already had wifi and bluetooth, so those were things I didn't have to add.
Mine's positively chilly since I went SSD. Shame, I used to like MacToast.

Top Bottom