Pc World .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Here's a trick I've  pulled a few times at PC world ....enter the shop ... go direct to the computer systems on sale .... spend a little time there ... if an assistant comes up offering help ...say "no thank you just looking"  when no ones looking switch the information cards over with another computer next to it, then ask the assistant for the details of the computer you're looking at ... wait until the assistant has read everything from the card (but talking like they know everything) and driveled on a bit ... Now click Start>All programs> Accessories> system tools> system information. and say! ..."Funny! doesn't say that here!"  .... I know I'm evil  :biggrin:

TVC

A couple of years back I needed a new TV, so trawled the chains. At PC World they had the Samsung I had my eye on, now this particular TV has the speakers hidden in the casing, so up comes the sales yob and I ask for a demo. No remote obviously so he has to use the few buttons on the side. Now he can't get any sound, so not seeing any obvious speakers he comes to the conclusion that this particular TV doesn't come with sound and is made to work with a nearby home cinema system......
You can guess the rest.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I would only use them for small items where the sales staff don't get much bonus. Wouldn't buy any large items from them though.

Same approach but on basis of my convenience. It has to be something where I know exactly what I want and their price has to be sharp.

Looking for a TV today. It'l be John Lewis not Currys.

asterix

Comrade Member
I enjoy winding them up.......

Can I have that at the internet price please (35% off shop price)?

No you can't....

Ask for manager and get same answer

Excuse me a second.......

Get on Phone and call PCWorld sales line, and order same item to "Collect at store"

Then give manager the sales number to the Manager and point out that he will be accepting the internet price!

Have you tried suggesting they give themselves a ring to get the sales number. After all they are obviously used to doing things all on their own which could otherwise involve other people.

Norm

Their seconds department often has some good bargains. I've had seconds printers and a laptop which were all under half price and all performed just fine.

Do your own research before going in there, though, as their salesmen would probably fail to make the grade in Halfords.

IMO.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I got a laptop there, no probs ever with it, good price. Bought printer at same time, and only at last moment did the fella remember to charge me for the spare ink I bought. Grrr.

rusky

CC Addict
I need a PC case so popped in today, the only cheap one they had looked tacky but as I was looking at the accessories (screws, finger guards, SATA cabels etc) I realised that based on their prices, I had £00's worth of accessories at home :rofl:

Bird Brain

I bought a computer there once and it was a bit of a disaster anyway.

I asked the whizzkid for the driver disks because I wanted to take the operating system off and put another one on and he told me I couldn't do that.

OTOH I bought a Samsung laptop there and it was fine and served me for years.

I've corrected your post

After School yesterday we took our girls to said establishment .

Not impressed with PC world .

that is most people's experience with PC world, they go, they see, they are not impressed

while we're at it, avoid comet / curreys as they own PC rip-off-world too!

I bought a computer there once and it was a bit of a disaster anyway.

I asked the whizzkid for the driver disks because I wanted to take the operating system off and put another one on and he told me I couldn't do that.

OTOH I bought a Samsung laptop there and it was fine and served me for years.

its often the norm to supply computers with a single install of windows and no discs, its the way windows is licenced, you then get round this by providing the option of making a back up disk for the computer so that you can return it to how it was when you bought it if you need to.

i've had a few computers like this and not had problems.

been using mac's for the past 6 years now tho.

classic33

Leg End Member
After School yesterday we took our girls to said establishment .

To purchase the latest Ipod Touch .A gift for working hard at School.

Why we chose PC was they had an offer on .Buy an Ipod and get an Itunes £25 card for free.

So salesperson gets two said items and begins to do the transaction .I asked for the two cards .That offer finished today .Sorry it is only 15-45 pm i told him .Get the Manager .He then goes upstairs .No deal .Offer was taken off today .

I show him the three cards under the secure Ipods showing all the deatils of items .With the offer still on .

Oh

Where is the Manager .Upstairs .Off i go .Sorry cannot process itunes cards offer finished today .Time i point out just after 4pm .Shop still open ,still today i points out .Tell him about the product cards downstairs ,those cards give the expiry date of offer .No they don't said i .

He would not budge .So i told him he had just lost a sale of nearly £500.

Went back downstairs .And somebody had removed the three cards from the display .

Went to Argos and bought them .

Not impressed with PC world .

Supply of Goods & Services, Sale of Goods Act as well as the Trade descriptions Act would have covered you for this. Common practice, within DSG shops, I've found for one staff member to keep you talking whilst another removes the offending item. Cameras come in handy here.

Had a problem with an item bought for me from The Link(now defunct), where the Manager refused to accept a faulty accessory back, stating that it was my problem. Letter written to the Head man at Ericsson & sent to his home address saying what I'd been told. Two weeks later, Area Manager (The Link) phones me and ask what the problem is. I'm told to go back to the shop and ask for a replacement. If the staff will not co-operate, phone him.
The look on the face of the manager when I passed the phone over to him as the person I was talking too now wanted to speak to him.
Shop had a new manager that afternoon.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've corrected your post

that is most people's experience with PC world, they go, they see, they are not impressed

while we're at it, avoid comet / curreys as they own PC rip-off-world too!

Not true.

Comet is a totally separate company and had a corporate image makeover severa years ago to emphasise that it was not connected with the Dixons/Currys and PCWorld chain.

Top Bottom