Peak District cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go and invest a few pounds in the OS map of the area. It will reveal more to you than any web forum or route loaded onto a device.

The orange 1:25,000 scale Explorer maps show an incredible amount of detail. They slip perfectly into a jersey pocket.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi guys can anyone let me know of the best cycle routes to do in the Peak District National Park in Derbyshire please as it's on my door step and would love to explore the area while I am back. Thanks, Alex xx
Peak District resident here

1) Where do you live
2) How long do you want the rides to be
3) How hilly are you ok with

PD is a big place with loads of routes so you need to narrow it down a bit if you want advice

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi I live near Ashbourne but have a car so can get anywhere really xx
It boils down to how you feel about hills.
If you're happy climbing then there are a multitude of possibilities. I rode around the area just north of Ashbourne and it was great
However, if you don't enjoy climbing then the Peak District probably isn't a good option. It flattens out a lot to the South and East of you so I'd recommend that if hilly rides aren't your thing

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi on th Road or railway line paths is cool thanks but not trails I don't fancy bouncing around all over the place when I'm riding xx
Well the Tissington Trail, starts in Ashbourne,
Hi I live near Ashbourne but have a car so can get anywhere really xx

It's a reasonable surface and the good news is it's slightly uphill to the junction with the 'High Peak' (so it's downhill home) and leaving it at 'Parsley Hay' gets you into the Dales around Monyash/Bakewell.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/VbuBqsBsoY

Here's the ride I did starting in Ashbourne. The whole area west and north is amazing....but hilly. No particular recommendations, just follow your nose out of Ashbourne on the lanes and you won't go far wrong, if you don't mind the hills

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Gun Hill and the Roaches are near you and if you like hilly rides, are good fun. Depending on how hilly you can link those up with Winkle, Wilboarclough the Cat and Fidddle (via Blaze Ice Cream Farm of course) and if you really want to test yourself the top of Mow Cop near Congleton is around 25% albeit fairly short. Basically loads of stuff to explore near to you.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I should also add if you don't like hilly stuff all the time you can head out across the Cheshire plain. Some lovely quiet country lanes with lots of cafe possibilities. Dependent on the distance you are comfortable riding there are some great places to see like Beeston Castle with Tattenhall Ice Cream Farm a favourite with cyclists, or head towards Delamere forrest.
You can search for specific ride details from where you are on Ride With GPS and load these to a garmin for ease of navigation.

D

Deleted member 26715

Tissington Trail
Monsal Trail
High Peaks Trail

All off road but good surface, or so I'm told, I have yet to get there

Globalti

Legendary Member
716dS2bvS0L._SY550_.jpg

51WE6lj6mfL._SX275_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Britain is the best-mapped country in the world!

Top Bottom