peanut butter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Yes.

Peanut butter gets many a mention in cycling mags as a recovery food - it has carbs and protein in itself and if put on toast. Peanut butter also contains mainly 'good' fats and some vitamins and minerals. Look for brands with less added sugar, salt and palm oil.

Whole Earth crunchy got a 'best buy' type rating in CW a few years ago. This brand can be found at Tescos.

ASC1951

Guru
I would have thought it was next to useless. It is typically 55% fat and 10% carbohydrate i.e. about the reverse order to what you need for exercise.

It is usually far too high in salt and what carbohydrate it does contain is generally sugar.

Blue

Legendary Member
ASC1951 said:
I would have thought it was next to useless. It is typically 55% fat and 10% carbohydrate i.e. about the reverse order to what you need for exercise.

It is usually far too high in salt and what carbohydrate it does contain is generally sugar.

Based on the ingredients list on the make I mentioned above your figures are a bit out. Also, as I stated, it was mentioned as a recovery food.

I have no doubt that some butters fit your figures, however, as with all foods, one has to read the label.

As I said, peanut butter gets regular mentions, in a positive way, in the cycling mags.

jimboalee

It's pretty damned good in a Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 :laugh:

ps Pistachio nuts are tastier.

Pistachio nut paste and Honey is ...... Mmmmmm....

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
great for recovery, have some peanut butter (I prefer smooth) on wholemeal bread with some low sugar jam (or some honey instead) and a drink of milk - great balance of protein/carbs/good fats.

This is also recommended as good recovery in many other health/fitness/sports areas.
As already said get a good peanut butter such as whole earth - nuts, a pinch of salt and oil - nothing else. about £2.30 for 454g in Tesco B0)

TijnUK

Twice I 've tried to have a sandwich with peanut butter before a ride and my friend once. Three times it ended up on the road, :ohmy:, while cycling and it leaves a very bad after taste. Never tried it after a ride though?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sod recovery, for the first evening 10 of the year tomorrow I've got peanut butter sandwiches ready to eat at my desk three hours before the off. Along with a banana and some figs. Is that fast food? we'll see.

For recovery I'll be drinking tea, when I get home I'll have some fish.

Blue

Legendary Member
I did my first club 10 tonight and had pancakes with peanut butter, a handful of raisins and a cup of tea 2hrs pre event. I managed 27:41, which I think was ok for someone who is 56 in a few weeks - I'm happy anyway!

SimonC

palinurus said:
Sod recovery, for the first evening 10 of the year tomorrow I've got peanut butter sandwiches ready to eat at my desk three hours before the off. Along with a banana and some figs. Is that fast food? we'll see.

For recovery I'll be drinking tea, when I get home I'll have some fish.

+1 for pre-race food, Ive got some peanut butter and jam sandwiches and a cheese sandwich for tea, to eat before tonights road race.

and some malt loaf...mmmm.

and a Wispa.

washed down with a cup of tea.

Is anybody on here training at a level where they cant get their nutritional requirements for normal food??

Midnight

From Wikipedia -

"Peanut butter may protect against a high risk of cardiovascular disease due to high levels of monounsaturated fats and reveratrol; butter prepared with the skin of the peanuts has a greater level of resveratrol and other health-aiding agents. Peanut butter (and peanuts) provide protein, vitamins B3 and E magnesium, folate, dietary fibre, arginine, and high levels of the antioxidant p-coumaric acid."

And it can also be used to help get chewing gum out of your hair!!! :sad:

And it tastes great in toasted sandwiches...:smile:

Top Bottom