Pedal For Scotland 100 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear. it's Dayvo's fault. He mentioned the PfS 100 mile ride in the chat section and it has got me thinking....:rolleyes:

So is anyone else up for this. Apart from the Etap Caledonia I haven't been doing any distance riding this year, so I wouldn't be gojng for a super time. I just haven't done any routes south of Glasgow, so it might be good for a wee trundle...(ok not a trundle, but not a race!!)

So anyone else keen?

ACS

Legendary Member
Oh dear. it's Dayvo's fault. He mentioned the PfS 100 mile ride in the chat section and it has got me thinking....:rolleyes:

So is anyone else up for this. Apart from the Etap Caledonia I haven't been doing any distance riding this year, so I wouldn't be gojng for a super time. I just haven't done any routes south of Glasgow, so it might be good for a wee trundle...(ok not a trundle, but not a race!!)

So anyone else keen?

Not for me, it’s not the distance; it’s the route and the logistics.

Based on last years experience I would have to be in EDN for about 4 in the morning (OK big exaggeration) to give me a fighting chance to get to GLW before 10 in the morning, add my moderate pace over the 100 and I may just about finish before dark.

I know the route from GLW down towards Galston and round to Lanark. Uninspiring is the best word I can think of. No doubt it will be well be supported with BSO’s who are not only a danger to themselves but to others as well. IMO great idea, badly planned.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Not for me, it’s not the distance; it’s the route and the logistics.

Based on last years experience I would have to be in EDN for about 4 in the morning (OK big exaggeration) to give me a fighting chance to get to GLW before 10 in the morning, add my moderate pace over the 100 and I may just about finish before dark.

I know the route from GLW down towards Galston and round to Lanark. Uninspiring is the best word I can think of. No doubt it will be well be supported with BSO’s who are not only a danger to themselves but to others as well. IMO great idea, badly planned.

Hmm. Maybe if the route is so uninspiring then I'll give it a miss as well. Maybe we should organise our own wee Glasgow to Edinburgh ride, using trains as our transport. (and not being on the same day as PfS of course!

Would anyone be up for that? Does anyone have a route suggestion?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hmm. Maybe if the route is so uninspiring then I'll give it a miss as well. Maybe we should organise our own wee Glasgow to Edinburgh ride, using trains as our transport. (and not being on the same day as PfS of course!

Would anyone be up for that? Does anyone have a route suggestion?

:biggrin: Here is your chance, Mag! You can organise the inaugural CC Ecosse 100 miler (challenge ride :bicycle: ) ....

While I am thinking about it - what happened to the "West" ride (suitable for all abilities :angel: ) you promised ... did your negotiations for the brownies fail? :ohmy: :evil: I believe you mentioned July ... there are still a few dates left ...

T

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:biggrin: Here is your chance, Mag! You can organise the inaugural CC Ecosse 100 miler (challenge ride :bicycle: ) ....

While I am thinking about it - what happened to the "West" ride (suitable for all abilities :angel: ) you promised ... did your negotiations for the brownies fail? :ohmy: :evil: I believe you mentioned July ... there are still a few dates left ...

T

Life has just been very busy recently. The kids have been demanding (in a good way of course), I've been busy at work, away on courses etc... Also I'm not sure folk would be that interested in my local routes!

But a 100 miler does appeal and if we can get a nice route between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and sort out times for trains etc, it is very do-able. Much thinking....

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Life has just been very busy recently. The kids have been demanding (in a good way of course), I've been busy at work, away on courses etc... Also I'm not sure folk would be that interested in my local routes!

But a 100 miler does appeal and if we can get a nice route between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and sort out times for trains etc, it is very do-able. Much thinking....

Try us! You can always ask, of course there is the risk that we may say "no", especially now that you've given us that idea :evil: ...
But then again, if there are brownies at stake, we may just humour your choice of routes :tongue: (as long as it's not along your "busy" commute route)

T

P.S. sigh ... tell me about busy :tired:

How about Edinburgh - Glasgow and back or visa versa. Some folk could do the complete journey (circa 100miles) whilst other could do half and take the train. The folk from Glasgow could cycle to Edinburgh meet the Edinburgh folk and ride with them back to Glasgow. Or visa versa the Edinburgh folk cycle to Glasgow and cycle back to Edinburgh (Thanks Telemark, see post below B) ). Me and Scoosh found a good route last year that was relatively flat and by quiet roads, I'll see if I can dig it out :-)

Edit: it was something like this

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
How about Edinburgh - Glasgow and back or visa versa. Some folk could do the complete journey (circa 100miles) whilst other could do half and take the train. The folk from Glasgow could cycle to Edinburgh meet the Edinburgh folk and ride with them back to Glasgow. Or visa versa the Edinburgh folk cycle to Glasgow and cycle back to Glasgow. Edinburgh. Me and Scoosh found a good route last year that was relatively flat and by quiet roads, I'll see if I can dig it out :-)

Edit: it was something like this

That's not such a bad idea, makes it do-able for all, with the train taking the strain when you want to/need to bail out, for whatever reason ;)

As long as there are brownies available near Torrance :hungry: - we need to divert there :tongue:, if Mrs Mag could be persuaded to oblige ... there is one person best placed to do the persuading ... hint hint! :biggrin:

T

That's not such a bad idea, makes it do-able for all, with the train taking the strain when you want to/need to bail out, for whatever reason ;)

As long as there are brownies available near Torrance :hungry: - we need to divert there :tongue:, if Mrs Mag could be persuaded to oblige ... there is one person best placed to do the persuading ... hint hint! :biggrin:

T

It could easily be diverted by Torrance B), perhaps something like this but locals could advise better. Btw I hear the Torrance Brownies are world famous ;).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It could easily be diverted by Torrance B), perhaps something like this but locals could advise better. Btw I hear the Torrance Brownies are world famous .

I just hope they don't look like this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSbnql66j8

Seriously though, keep me informed as it sounds interesting.
That said, if Magnatom is doing it, then I want to keep my distance so that I don't get caught up in one of his arguments with a moton ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hmmm. Aye we could do something like that. Anyone who is interested could get an early train to Bishopbriggs (plenty of trains with a change at Croy) and we could met up there. We could make our way over to Edinburgh, meet up with anyone who only wants to do 50 ish miles and cycle back to Torrance for Brownies! :biggrin:

Then Edinburgers could get the train home.

Of course there would be options for 50, 100, 150 and 200 miles! :blink::biggrin:

HLab, I'm not too sure of the roads on that route. I know the roads towards Kilsyth better, and they aren't too bad. I'll think about routes towards my end.

I'll also see when I'm free and get back. It will have to be a Saturday though.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hmmm. Aye we could do something like that. Anyone who is interested could get an early train to Bishopbriggs (plenty of trains with a change at Croy) and we could met up there. We could make our way over to Edinburgh, meet up with anyone who only wants to do 50 ish miles and cycle back to Torrance for Brownies! :biggrin:

Then Edinburgers could get the train home.

Of course there would be options for 50, 100, 150 and 200 miles! :blink::biggrin:

HLab, I'm not too sure of the roads on that route. I know the roads towards Kilsyth better, and they aren't too bad. I'll think about routes towards my end.

I'll also see when I'm free and get back. It will have to be a Saturday though.

sounds like a good idea :biggrin: ... as long as Mag gets organised with some dates when he could honour us with his presence (and if Mrs Mag agrees to make a very large load of brownies...)

T

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Count me in. I enjoyed my near-100 mile day last October, so would be keen to try another long ride at some point. With the company of other CCers it'd be ideal!

Top Bottom