Pedal for Scotland 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got any idea of how lumpy this route is (the Edinburgh to St Andrews) is probably at the limits of what I can do so the 100 mile POS is going to have to be less hilly for me to try my hand at it!!
I may bung the route into bikely if no one does it before me......

viniga

Guru
A lot of A-Road riding on that route, I know some of it quite well, the climb out of Glasgow onto the A77 (much of which has a very good wide cycle lane which they will want to use) and the turn off towards Waterside and Moscow.

I would have thought they would have stayed above the A71 Galston and Darvel section taking minor roads instead. After this it's out of my radar but I am curious. Anyone else know these roads better than me?

No other sportive I have done follows so many busy A roads, perhaps there are more cycle paths beside them? I wonder if they actually consult with sportive cyclists on these routes...

Anyway i've toasterd it if you want to have a look at the profile http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=119063

I doubt I'll be doing this, probably busy changing nappies! Might do the 3 mile family run in tight lycra on a carbon bike at sprint speed instead :biggrin: (hmm need to check the profile for this).

r0bbti

the last 30miles or so into edinburgh is along the "lang whang" - it is an A-road but not very busy on a Sunday and is used quite a lot by Edinburgh cyclists, a few undulations but not bad.

ACS

Legendary Member
sleekitcollie said:
snorri , sorry but i disagree with that , i,ve only done this event twice and i realise that although it is a "fun" event i class my self as in inexperianced rider who after taking up cycling and battling a few medical issues i can approach my own way and its is everyones indvidual choice as to which way they approach it and what they each get out of it , my own "goal " is to try and better my time , i still make time to chat with other cyclists along the way and have helped out with peoples punctures and breakdowns ( and also a sheep that got stuck in a fence along the route , but thats a different story ;) )
i have also raised over £1000 for various charities the 2 years i have taken part ,

the main reason i was asking about times was to try and find out if it i was going to be out my depth and take far to long to complete the 100 miles coarse
but i will take on board ur idea of doing a few 50 miles runs and get my times from that
thanx

I can hear the collective groan from here but you could try a 100 km Audax before the PfS. The Potter 4 Tea event on the 6th Jun from Forfar is great outing. 3 climbs that are testing but rideable. 2 excellent coffee stops and while I'm not the fasted on the planet I would be more than happy to potter (:o) around with you.

I'm not doing the Pfs this year for 2 main reasons last year the transport arrangements from Edn to Glw were dire and I know part of the route from south of Glasgow over towards Uddingston and it just does not inspire me to have a go.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
currystomper said:
Thanks looks not too lumpy after the first bit - I'll have to check it out against the edin - to StAs run. Like you say the route looks a bit uninspiring

Edinburgh - St. Andies see here

HJ said:

Thanks for the info - the ascent total height looks about the same 0.93Km for EDB 2 StA's and 1.125Km for the 100PfS. So I could probably do it - but I think my son has just committed me to the EDB 2 StA's - so maybe I'll just do the 50 PfS and just enjoy it!!

CS

PS did the StAs last year defiantly needed a Mars bar to get over that final hill!!

plerickbiker

I have done this (50 mile) event several times and would suggest if you are the least bit interested in time to complete the course then you are approaching the event with the wrong mindset. It is a "fun" event, where you stop for cakes and chat, encourage those less fit than yourself to keep going whilst overtaking inexperienced cyclists who may even be cycling on the wrong side of the road or path.
Perhaps you should be timing yourself over a few 50 milers before submitting an entry for the 100 mile event. Only you will know if you are up to it.;)

PS and 46 is not old:angry:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
plerickbiker,
Saw your post about doing the PfS on another thread, so I thought I would jump in and add to your confusion assist your plans :biggrin:.

The PfS has, in some ways, become a victim of its own success. What started off as an attempt to get non-cycling people to get on a bike and challenge themselves, has now become a mass-participation event, where the Highway Code, cycling etiquette, common sense and a number of other useful/essential things have been thrown out of the window. :sad:

Firstly, it is NOT a race :headshake: - there are just too many people around, many (most :rolleyes:) of them with limited experience of riding on the roads, riding with lots of others or even just riding :blush:. For many of them, getting to the finish is a major achievement :bravo:, for others it is an opportunity to ride with their family, friends, work colleagues or others with whom they would not normally be riding.

One of the results of its success is the enormous number of cyclists on the road. As stated earlier, many of them unfortunately do not pay proper heed to the Highway Code (entering roundabouts without looking to see if there is other traffic approaching, riding 2 or 3 abreast, chatting away, completely oblivious to vehicles wanting to overtake etc etc ). If you can work your way round this, it's a good ride :bicycle:, with some very pleasant stretches and only a couple of hills - the one out of Avonbridge being the main one but not too serious ;).

The organisation has been ... well let's say 'stretched a bit' too. Water and food supplies have been known to be a bit erratic/long queues, so it is advisable to have some emergency rations with you. Transport to and from Start/Finish can be irksome too ..... (you can read tales on previous PfS posts :thumbsdown:).

Certainly, from what you have posted, you shouldn't have any trouble completing the route. :bicycle:

HTH and bonne chance !

JimtheScot

I’ve done this run 5 years in a row now and just signed upfor the 100 miler. PFS got me into Road Biking so I’ll always be grateful too it. I’ve done other runs like the Castle Ride (down in Kent)and the Trossach Ton this year, and loads of runs with the CTC, and I can see the difference in the participants. But in the 5 years I’ve been lucky never had anything but a great time and the sight of 7000 cycles, all shapes and sizes, taking to the roads is pretty impressive. So all I can say is I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but if anyone is thinking of doing it, give it a try and make your own mind up. I’m sure you won’t regret it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If it's like the Skyride, then I'll be having to do a lot of weaving in and out of the slower 'traffic'. That said, I did just follow a boy on a roadbike who did it all for me at certain points during the Skyride (and who was going at about the same speed a me), so there might be someone similar to lead me through instead!

.....Any voluteers?? :biggrin:

Top Bottom