Pedal for Scotland 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Now there is a challenge, not sure if it is one I will be taking up, plenty of time to think about it...

Hmmm. A 100 mile ride is good, but how much of that route will you still have to 'fight with the hordes'. In theory a good idea, but the thought of joining the cycle path towards the finish after having ridden 95 miles doesn't really appeal.

If you want to do 100 miles might I suggest waiting and doing the Trossachs Ton. It was a brilliant event this year and I would definitely recommend it!

marooncat

I am going to try again to do it this year, and with any luck I will get my bike to the start in one piece!!

Only doing the 50 mile (or 51 mile - I am sure it was 50 last year) which I suspect will be more than enough for me, especially as I will only be home a few days before hand from Lithuania (Scotland game) and I am not sure how a few days on the beer is going to help my preparations!!

sleekitcollie

sorry never noticed this Thread and posted on a new one .
i,ve done this event for last cpl years , this year they are adding a 100 mile route as well as the normal 50ish one ,
i,d quite like to try the bigger route , but on the pedal 4 scotland web site it says
" if u can do the 50 mile route in under 2and half hours then the 100 mile route might be the one for you if you want more of a challange "
now my time last year was 3 and half hours ( on front susp mountain bike with hybrid tyres ) , i,ve bought a different bike now (spez tricross sport 2010 ) and although its not a road racer it is a slightly faster than the old bike , but not 1hr faster over 50 miles .
now here the thing do i enter the 100 and be left well at the tail end or just stick to the 50 mile one and try and beter my time ,
i,ve done a 70 mile run this year and hopefully build up as i want to do a 100 mile run as it would be a big milestone for me given my late start in life to cycling ( im 46 and started 3 years ago )
im sure i can build up to the 100 but time wise .. who knows .. i,ve did 3000 miles last year on mountain bike biggest was 80 miles fully loaded with camping gear . so speed was not an issue
any advice re entering the 100 mile run would be great thanx

snorri

Legendary Member
sleekitcollie said:
or just stick to the 50 mile one and try and beter my time
I have done this (50 mile) event several times and would suggest if you are the least bit interested in time to complete the course then you are approaching the event with the wrong mindset. It is a "fun" event, where you stop for cakes and chat, encourage those less fit than yourself to keep going whilst overtaking inexperienced cyclists who may even be cycling on the wrong side of the road or path.
Perhaps you should be timing yourself over a few 50 milers before submitting an entry for the 100 mile event. Only you will know if you are up to it.;)

PS and 46 is not old:angry:

sleekitcollie

snorri said:
I have done this (50 mile) event several times and would suggest if you are the least bit interested in time to complete the course then you are approaching the event with the wrong mindset. It is a "fun" event, where you stop for cakes and chat, encourage those less fit than yourself to keep going whilst overtaking inexperienced cyclists who may even be cycling on the wrong side of the road or path.
snorri , sorry but i disagree with that , i,ve only done this event twice and i realise that although it is a "fun" event i class my self as in inexperianced rider who after taking up cycling and battling a few medical issues i can approach my own way and its is everyones indvidual choice as to which way they approach it and what they each get out of it , my own "goal " is to try and better my time , i still make time to chat with other cyclists along the way and have helped out with peoples punctures and breakdowns ( and also a sheep that got stuck in a fence along the route , but thats a different story :laugh: )
i have also raised over £1000 for various charities the 2 years i have taken part ,

the main reason i was asking about times was to try and find out if it i was going to be out my depth and take far to long to complete the 100 miles coarse
but i will take on board ur idea of doing a few 50 miles runs and get my times from that
thanx

ACS

Legendary Member
Has the 100 mile route been published yet? No point in discussing times until we know the type of route. Based on my 100 km audax times I would expect to average 11 - 12 mph putting me in 8.5 - 9 hour bracket. Riding in a group is always easier than solo more so if the group works together and for each other.

So do we have the start of a CC d'Ecosse lantern rouge group for this 100 mile jaunt?

sleekitcollie

Can't see the 100 mile route on there yet but I got a e mail from them good few weeks ago saying it would be on nxt week . That was least 3 weeks ago . . Think I'll see IF I can do 100 miles b4 I decide to sgin up . Did 70 last weekend ' runnin on empty last 20 miles but plenty time I think to build milage up

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
sc - you'll manage 100 miles easily enough, especially with all the folk around you.

I would virtually guarantee that there will be slower folk than you dong the 100 miles. (I am not doing PfS this year ;))

sleekitcollie

Cheers Scoosh . Just a bit worried with p4s wording on website sayin if u do the 50 in under 2 and half then this is the route for u . As I'm 1 hr slower than that on a good day I didn't wana sgin up for the 100 and look a fool if it was out my league . Think I need to stop thinkin about it Nd just get the miles in now so I'm ready 4 it . Ps my avrage speed at the moment is around 12 - 14.5 mph . That's after a 15 hr night shift not had much chance of long runs at weekend yet to see if it improves when I'm fresh ( apart from the usual weekend red wine flu ) . On my 70 mile run last weekend I tried to check the computer for my average speed and time after 50 miles and managed to reset the dam thing instead . So only got average fir last 20 aftr that which was 12.6 . But was running on empty by then

Top Bottom