Pedal for Scotland 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Almost that time of year again :biggrin:

In previous years the opinion on here of Scotlands biggest cycle event seems to split in two camps - those that see it as fun day out on the bike with thousands of other cyclists from racers on carbon bling to riders who have never done more than 10 miles before embarking on a big challenge to kids on BMXs and even smaller ones in trailers and tag alongs....and those that see it as a bunch of n00bs and bellends riding like idiots and giving proper serious cyclists, whatever they are, a bad name.

So is anyone on here doing it? The weather wasn't great last year (i think i was one of the few lucky to avoid the rain) however the wind was quite strong so it meant a good tailwind most of the way through to Edinburgh.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll be in London for the Paralympics then, so good luck to everyone!

snorri

Legendary Member
s....and those that see it as a bunch of n00bs and bellends riding like idiots and giving proper serious cyclists, whatever they are, a bad name..
Aye and sometimes it's those who might wish to be regarded as proper serious cyclists who give themselves a bad name by acting like n00bs and bellends, whatever they are.^_^
It's certainly a fun day out when the weather is fine, but I have another event planned for that day.:smile:

jim55

Guru
im doing it again this yr ,i was pretty much against doing it this yr but a few guys from my work are showing a bit of interest in cycling and they thought this was a thing worth doing ,so iv been talked into doing it with them as im the token "proper cyclist"in the work,i cant really not do it with them :blush:,true .it is full of bad riding and stuff but il give a wide berth and know what to expect now

purpleR

Guru
I'm in - second time for me. The last one I did was in 2007, the year of the Biblical Rain. There had better be nicer weather this year :-/ Best thing about it is that it's got me back on my bike after a couple of years... training has been cycling to work (couple o miles), a sneaky 40 miler last week and plan to head to north berwick and maybe dunbar tomorrow. And here I am back reading these forums when I should be in bed on a work night!

Col5632

Guru
Done it the last 3 years but decided to save my money this year, just done the St Andrews sportive at the weekend so could do with saving the money and legs :laugh:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm doing it with the boy and have barely been out on the bike for the last couple of months and have never really cycled in Scotland. I fear the ride may break me in half.

purpleR

Guru
You will be fine- it's a flat bit of Scotland. Very gentle and there are stops every 10 miles if you need them. oh unless you're doing the longer one that does go through the hills?! :smile:

doddy73

Über Member
Skipping it this year purely for financial reasons …… going to miss it though. The shear number of cyclists is a site to see and the numerous feed stations and entertainment are first class. Yes there’s some stupid behaviour (Linlithgow was a bit of a bun fight with motorists and buses) and I have to say the last few miles through the Edinburgh cycle track were very congested but none of this detracts from what is Scotland biggest cycling event…..;) maybe I could raid the piggy bank and cycle back through …. Hmmmmm

Good luck anyway

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
I got mine this morning - just the number and a couple of cable ties and safety pins - no information booklet or tshirt!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am in again this year and cycling both ways on the shorter course

In 2010, the rules stated clearly that you weren't to ride back along the path the wrong way into oncoming riders. Has it changed this year? I say this becuase I nearly collided with someone doing exactly as you mention, and guess what, they treated me like I was the one in the wrong..... :rolleyes:

Good luck cycling against a constant stream of kiddies et al, I doubt you'll be terribly popular though.

Top Bottom