Pedal for Scotland 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hardrock93

Guru
What a fantastic event. Fortunately, the standard of cycling round me was fine, though I did hear of the crashes mentioned above. It was a day of firsts for me. My first PfS - I thought the organisation and food stops were very good indeed and the weather was kind. 49 miles on my computer when I reached Murrayfield, but heading west to meet my wife at the airport Park & Ride, I got lost and end up meeting her with 55.5 miles on the clock. She looked on bemused as I rode a couple of laps of the car park to bring the total to 60 miles – a personal first. Bemusement turned to resignation and just a hint of impatience when I continued to another first – the metric ton.

A grand day out.

Grizzly

Looks like you arrived after the 40,000 people who cheered me in had left zizou :tongue:

Grizzly - whilst I agree some of the riding was hair-raising (some of it from the more experienced ones too), surely a good place for a beginner to learn is at events like these. I'm betting that most riders are commuters or solo cyclists who don't know all the etiquette of hand signals or "Passing on the right" - I certainly don't and it's at events like these that I see them in use and I learn from the experience.

The most important thing to take on board is being aware of other cyclists close by surely and to that end I'd like to horsewhip all those I saw using iPods.

I totally agree, I do think it is an event for all and it is a great event, I love doing it and every time I saw a kid on a bike I told them how great they were doing. Thankfully I dont think any of the kids were involved in the crashes, if they were it would no doubt have been serious. I think the event would be better/safer if the start was staggered into abilities, but perhaps I just saw the worst of it!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fantastic day out, my first time won't be the last time!
Never dismounted once at hills, crashed into and fell over a guy that thought was cleverly entering the cycle lane from the right to skip the cue :rolleyes: spoke to Magnatom and remembered I know him from work, met George from up the road from me, learned how to post on FB from my new phone :laugh:
Full report in "rider's tales" as soon as I have had my dinner and sorted my pictures.

purpleR

Guru
Wow, it took me AGES! In my defence I spent a lot of time waiting for my underprepared companion who was slow and tired. But... I saw a penny farthing, a side-by-side tandem AND I got to race with a roadie.

I'll admit to getting a wee bit bored by the time we got to Kirkliston, but it was mostly a really fun day. So impressed with the wee kiddies cycling all that way, bikes with tiny wheels powered by little legs!

Pedal pusher

Veteran
The first PfS completed and what a great day. It took the best part of an hour to get through the start but once through the roads started to open up a bit but agree with a previous post, lots of red lights. Came across 3 accidents 2 of which looked nasty from what I remember all on downhill sections. The second feed station was quite small so it was just a top up of the water bottle and onwards. It was good to see people on the ride today of all shapes, sizes and ages and the final ride into the stadium was really special. Thanks to my wife and sister in law who cheered us over the finish line and drove me home:highfive:

doddy73

Über Member
Great day for me, really great day.

Firstly, the weather was spot on..... dry, light breeze and not too warm.

Journeyed to the start scrum with Pat where we waited around 40/45 minutes to get off. We pedalled the first 8 or so miles together then got seperated on the hill.... which is a shame because she is one of the bubbliest and most fun people I have ever met at an event.

Parked up at Avonbridge...... next to Mark Beaumont of all people :hyper: . Had a quick chat before a small crowd gathered.

Didn't see any crashes but witness the closest, fastest near miss ever. On the Edinburgh cycle track, single file, chap 3 bikes ahead pulls an overtake (without looking) straight into a couple of non PforS cyclists coming the other way. Thankfully the 2 coming back the way hit the brakes hard and controlled it. The fella didn't even say sorry, just held up his hands and kept on going.

I do like the idea of categorised starts, I also think the signage could be improved giving warning of impending hills and advising to stay in the left on open roads.

Did anyone on here complete the 110 miler? how hard is it?

Malcolm44

Great day for me, really great day.

Firstly, the weather was spot on..... dry, light breeze and not too warm.

Journeyed to the start scrum with Pat where we waited around 40/45 minutes to get off. We pedalled the first 8 or so miles together then got seperated on the hill.... which is a shame because she is one of the bubbliest and most fun people I have ever met at an event.

Parked up at Avonbridge...... next to Mark Beaumont of all people :hyper: . Had a quick chat before a small crowd gathered.

Didn't see any crashes but witness the closest, fastest near miss ever. On the Edinburgh cycle track, single file, chap 3 bikes ahead pulls an overtake (without looking) straight into a couple of non PforS cyclists coming the other way. Thankfully the 2 coming back the way hit the brakes hard and controlled it. The fella didn't even say sorry, just held up his hands and kept on going.

I do like the idea of categorised starts, I also think the signage could be improved giving warning of impending hills and advising to stay in the left on open roads.

Did anyone on here complete the 110 miler? how hard is it?
The 110 was hard this year, some additional hills (lots of them) but managed to finish in a "official" time of 7.08.00 (last year my back wheel threw some spokes and had to give up within smelling distance of EMBRA). Wind seemed to be in your face all day, but very enjoyable

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Full report with pictures here :hello:

Top Bottom