Pedal for Scotland 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I should be at the start for 8. My much much better half( grovel) will be dropping me of and picking me up and the other end 3439 is the number, give us a shout

purpleR

Guru
1055. Canny wait now!

Hardrock93

Guru
135. Sadly no CC apparel. Mrs. Hardrock has kindly agreed to be pit crew, dropping me off in Glasgow and collecting the remains from Edinburgh. Hope to be at the Green at 8am.

normskirus

Veteran
was really looking forward until sunday until i seen the first posters comments. I am not a keen cycler, and iam doing this with a car club iam a member of.

We all are doing this for a selected charity in east kilbride (have still raised money for maggies)
but I seen the post about "n00bs" and has got me thinking, I thought this was a fun day out and not too
many people taking it seriously? My group are dressing up in onesies (gos with our selected charity)

I will be number "4822" no doubt be able to see me anyway, I hope it is a brilliant atmosphere and not too serious. Will be giving it my all as I have not trained for this.

Also Hi iam Steven from East Kilbride

I had to look up onesies - I'll keep my eye out you! ^_^

I'll be coming through from Auld Reekie so I reckon I'll be through at 8:30 at the earliest. I'll be riding a silver/grey ridgeback voyager with a red specialized tactic helmet. Im quite excited by it all now.

Normskirus

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hello: Be sure to drop by at the Pedal on Parliament stall/table/gazebo (depending on wind!). There may be the odd CC Ecosser (or ex CC-Ecosser) around ... including a couple of those who were there for the inaugural CC Ecosse PfS (not me)

T

Flyfisher

Never cycled 50 miles before but really looking forward too it. Number 4642, say hello. You'ill not miss me as I will be riding a red recumbent trike. I'm from Greenock.
Jim K

GBC

Veteran
Has anyone heard how the numbers are doing this year? I'm giving it a miss this time, but I'm still getting emails telling me it's not too late to sign up.

My big regret will be missing the Church cake tent at Avonbridge, but I won't miss the hill that you hit just after it - full of cyclists wondering why they'd had to have that last scone, as well as the fruitcake, and the gingerbread, and the...

This year, we're heading for the MOKBIKE Challenge in Kintyre in October, and doing the Sanda 33 miles route. I was tempted to the 70 mile Ultimate, but Mrs GBC is doing it as well, and while very fit, hasn't been on her bike since Pedal for Scotland last year.

Anyone else heading down?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
ooh - now that looks interesting. I wonder if the Lussa XC route would be Tricross-suitable?

soulful dog

Veteran
I keep telling myself I should try it one year.... never managed it yet though (and my mileage has been going down this year instead of up). Anyway, good luck to everyone taking part, especially the first-timers! The weather is meant to be dry in the morning at least :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Has anyone heard how the numbers are doing this year? I'm giving it a miss this time, but I'm still getting emails telling me it's not too late to sign up.

My big regret will be missing the Church cake tent at Avonbridge, but I won't miss the hill that you hit just after it - full of cyclists wondering why they'd had to have that last scone, as well as the fruitcake, and the gingerbread, and the...

This year, we're heading for the MOKBIKE Challenge in Kintyre in October, and doing the Sanda 33 miles route. I was tempted to the 70 mile Ultimate, but Mrs GBC is doing it as well, and while very fit, hasn't been on her bike since Pedal for Scotland last year.

Anyone else heading down?

Think it is about 8000 at the moment. I'm still getting the emails to sign up and despite signing up months ago :biggrin:

The mokbike challenge looks good, some lovely cycling in Kintyre. Depending on the direction of the wind the 70 mile (and the 33 mile) could be quite difficult as it can get quite lumpy in places. Quiet roads though and some great scenary so worth the effort!

GBC

Veteran
Think it is about 8000 at the moment. I'm still getting the emails to sign up and despite signing up months ago :biggrin:

The mokbike challenge looks good, some lovely cycling in Kintyre. Depending on the direction of the wind the 70 mile (and the 33 mile) could be quite difficult as it can get quite lumpy in places. Quiet roads though and some great scenary so worth the effort!

The numbers are a bit surprising then. I'm sure last year was about 14000 and I assumed the present popularity of cycling would have had an effect as well. It did go through my mind though that I haven't seen just as much advertising this year.

You're right about Kintyre - we have family in Campbeltown and visit not as regularly as we should. Usually do a bit of walking when we're there, but this will be the first time I've taken the bike. I've also got a plan for one (or two) sunny days of cycling down, but cheating a bit and using the Gourock - Dunoon and Portavadie - Tarbert ferries.

One of those days!

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
The numbers are a bit surprising then. I'm sure last year was about 14000 and I assumed the present popularity of cycling would have had an effect as well. It did go through my mind though that I haven't seen just as much advertising this year.

You're right about Kintyre - we have family in Campbeltown and visit not as regularly as we should. Usually do a bit of walking when we're there, but this will be the first time I've taken the bike. I've also got a plan for one (or two) sunny days of cycling down, but cheating a bit and using the Gourock - Dunoon and Portavadie - Tarbert ferries.

One of those days!

I suspect the 14000 was a bit inflated last year because it included the numbers that took part in the skyride in Glasgow which isnt running this year and also the family ride in Edinburgh which also isn't on. There is a skyride in Edinburgh but it is tomorrow so wont be included in the numbers. However pretty sure the year before there was about 9000 so it is a bit down regardless.

I had intended to do a similar ride involving the ferries too but after Tarbert ferry going down to Claonaig over Lochranza and finally Brodick to Ardrossan. Was wanting to do it in good weather so ended up postponing it all summer!

Reactions: GBC
I will be wearing this tomorrow. no excuses for not saying hello now

Attachments

• CC jersey.jpg
    CC jersey.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom