Pedal for Scotland 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
If it is getting to be about an hour of waiting then i'm just going to go out one of the other exits from the park and start along the road a bit. I realise it is not the correct thing to do (and does mean missing out on going through the official start gate)...however i really dont want to be hanging around for over an hour getting cold.

I am fully aware that is a crap justification as everyone else waiting patiently in the Q is also getting cold! I guess i've got to recognise that i am turning into one of the bellends mentioned in the OP :biggrin:

Col5632

Guru
If it is getting to be about an hour of waiting then i'm just going to go out one of the other exits from the park and start along the road a bit. I realise it is not the correct thing to do (and does mean missing out on going through the official start gate)...however i really dont want to be hanging around for over an hour getting cold.

I am fully aware that is a crap justification as everyone else waiting patiently in the Q is also getting cold! I guess i've got to recognise that i am turning into one of the bellends mentioned in the OP :biggrin:

I got tempted to do the same, i think the best bet is to get there nice and early :smile:

normskirus

Veteran
I got my pack last week - my no is 3050 if anyone wants to say hullo. I'll be coming on the transport from Edinburgh.
This is my first organised bike ride and reading some of the comments about previous pforS im abit concerned about the crowds. How bad can it get? Ive done a marathon before everybody starts off in crowd but it soon thins out a bit. Is it the same?

Normskirus

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
I got my pack last week - my no is 3050 if anyone wants to say hullo. I'll be coming on the transport from Edinburgh.
This is my first organised bike ride and reading some of the comments about previous pforS im abit concerned about the crowds. How bad can it get? Ive done a marathon before everybody starts off in crowd but it soon thins out a bit. Is it the same?

Normskirus

It depends how many have started before you - ive left a couple of hours after the first riders and it was busy for the first 30 miles (so more than half way) whereas ive left about 20 minutes after the first riders and the roads have been very quiet after Glasgow.

However even if it is busy things generally calm down after the first few miles. Personally i dont think the riding behaviour is really *that* bad - just be cautious and expect the unexpected particularly around the food stops or if there are young kids about, dont expect riders in front to signal for potholes etc like would be the norm on a club run and remember to do things like check over your shoulder when overtaking someone to make sure someone isnt overtaking you. It is an enjoyable day out and it is really nice to see so many people out on bikes

Col5632

Guru
It depends how many have started before you - ive left a couple of hours after the first riders and it was busy for the first 30 miles (so more than half way) whereas ive left about 20 minutes after the first riders and the roads have been very quiet after Glasgow.

However even if it is busy things generally calm down after the first few miles. Personally i dont think the riding behaviour is really *that* bad - just be cautious and expect the unexpected particularly around the food stops or if there are young kids about, dont expect riders in front to signal for potholes etc like would be the norm on a club run and remember to do things like check over your shoulder when overtaking someone to make sure someone isnt overtaking you. It is an enjoyable day out and it is really nice to see so many people out on bikes

Agreed :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru

Normskirus

The only thing that freaked me out a bit last year was seeing a guy getting carted-off in an ambulance at Linlithgow, and a guy who was off his bike (apparently having dislocated his shoulder) at Cramond Brig - I've no idea if it was down to speed or what but if you take it nice and easy you'll be fine. Oh and look out for the speed-freaks moaning at the all the people getting off their bikes at the first hill! (wasn't me, honest!).

Col5632

Guru
The only thing that freaked me out a bit last year was seeing a guy getting carted-off in an ambulance at Linlithgow, and a guy who was off his bike (apparently having dislocated his shoulder) at Cramond Brig - I've no idea if it was down to speed or what but if you take it nice and easy you'll be fine. Oh and look out for the speed-freaks moaning at the all the people getting off their bikes at the first hill! (wasn't me, honest!).

I seen that guy at linlithgow, looked a nasty one :sad:

doddy73

Über Member
So the official Bookface page reckons the forecast is great... Predicting a sunny day.

We'll get rain, wind and a flurry of arctic snow then!

Happy days :smile:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm going with the BBC forecast of rain for now. It's Scotland in September after all, although the sunburn I got back in March proves that freak nice weather may still happen.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Looking forward to my 2nd tilt at this. I was worried sick about being able to complete it last year, even though I'd been going to the gym regular and had been out every few days in the good weather last Summer. I made the mistake of charging at it - many people tried to have a blether but I just put my head down and charged. By Linlithgow I was knackered but I didn't stop until Kirkliston, by which time my legs were rubber. Refuelling made a huge difference and I made it into Murrayfield exhausted but still able to stand having done the distance in 3hrs 25min.

This year I'm going to take the time to enjoy it and not worry about my time. It's really, really cool to ride on closed roads amongst so many others. I want to properly appreciate it and if anyone blethers to me, I'll happily chat away instead of grunting and going faster. No 4389 btw

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am really looking forward to the day! Never done anything like it, planning to do what I always do on my rides: stop a lot to take pictures ^_^
I have booked transport back to Glasgow, but if I find somebody that will ride back not too fast and shows me the way, I will ride back too, if it's not pouring down by then as it usually is in the afternoons.
Bought a pair of Lycra leggings and a proper cycling jersey today, at least, that's what I think I've bought :unsure:

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
That's a good idea actually and especially because it's not timed so no need to worry about the chip registering the start time. Definitely something to consider.

I'm rider no. 131 so do give me a wave if you see me.

Top Bottom