Pedal for Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done the 47 mile route several times. The first time I did it (2005, I think?), it was 51 miles and utterly amazing, with maybe 500 people taking part? Main food stop was in Avonbridge church instead of a big field (aka bog), and sprinting along Princes Street with a lap of honour of Meadowbank to finish.

Gill and I both did it last year and we agreed that it was generally a shambles. To give the organisers the benefit of doubt, it is a ridiculously oversubscribed event and it would be impossible to run an event of that size without major organisational issues, but I think I'd rather participate in events that are of a size that can be organised more effectively.

Saying that, I'd consider the sportive distance event, were it not for the fact that the same logistical issues apply ( > 1.5 hour wait to start after registration, getting from Edinburgh back to Glasgow with bikes when several thousand people have the same idea...)

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I've only done it once before, in 2010 I think. I was sufficiently fast that getting a train back from Edinburgh wasn't a problem.

I've chosen to forego the buses once again this year, but might have slightly more problems at Waverley. Still, waiting half an hour to get on a train beats waiting an unknown amount of time at either end of a bus trip!

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I did it last year loaded with a heavy cold and was so unsure about my ability to ride it that I was still tying my number on as they opened the road up to traffic behind me. I generally enjoyed it but agree that it was a complete shambles. There were far too many people riding and probably about 90% of them were completely clueless.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
5 Mph my erse! You need to change your name to the Duracell* Bunny!

*(other power-supplying devices are available)
:laugh:
It's true, once I start, I keep going at 5mph indefinitely :biggrin:
See how it goes on the day, we are doing the PfS as a Belles group ride, if the weather is ok and get company I will ride it back, somebody else can have my pre-booked return ticket.

Fubar

Guru
:laugh:
It's true, once I start, I keep going at 5mph indefinitely :biggrin:
See how it goes on the day, we are doing the PfS as a Belles group ride, if the weather is ok and get company I will ride it back, somebody else can have my pre-booked return ticket.

Ahem, you were a bit faster than 5mph on the Perth ride - I think it was the Pink Tammy you were rockin'...

I've chosen to forego the buses once again this year, but might have slightly more problems at Waverley. Still, waiting two half an hours to get on a train beats waiting an unknown amount of time at either end of a bus trip!

FTFY :sad:

IIRC they told us they wouldn't even let people on at Waverley, insisting that everyone went to Haymarket instead.
As you're going to be on a 6 or 7 hour time for that kind of distance, you'll be slap bang in the middle of the busiest period.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
FTFY :sad:

IIRC they told us they wouldn't even let people on at Waverley, insisting that everyone went to Haymarket instead.
As you're going to be on a 6 or 7 hour time for that kind of distance, you'll be slap bang in the middle of the busiest period.
I have just reserved a bike space on a CrossCountry service at 1511. £8 and a target time to aim for ^_^. Hopefully not too much headwind...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
This will be my 3rd year but I'm a bit concerned because I've barely turned a wheel this year - severe motivation problems I think.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This will be my 3rd year but I'm a bit concerned because I've barely turned a wheel this year - severe motivation problems I think.
Don't worry, you'll be fine, unless you're doing the 100 mile route :huh:

I've just joined CC and feel as if I've learned loads already. I've signed up for PFS to do with my hubby. Feeling a wee bit anxious after reading all the posts about the crowds etc and bottle-necking, but think it's good to be aware of all these things beforehand. I think I've registered to start at 8.30am, but I'm just wondering if it's better to get there for the 7.30am start? Know I'll have thousands of folk passing me, but thinking that might be the way to go?

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
There was one stop last year in the middle of a field, might have been about halfway, that I really wouldn't recommend stopping at. We queued for a good 45 minutes in waterlogged mud to buy a couple of bits of cake and a cuppa and the next stop wasn't far enough away to justify the bother. In the end I skipped the last one (Linlithgow?) and pressed on to Edinburgh. Does a 50-odd mile ride really need so many stops?

Top Bottom