Pedal for Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@AnythingButVanilla you forget all the families with kiddies in tow, plus the beginners on their first long ride!
Last year's PfS was my first group ride, and I think only my second one not commuter related.
I did not really need all the stops, stopped anyway to see the entertainment, to take pictures of places never visited before.
As I had read about the Avonbridge cake stop on the site, brought tupperware for extra cake to have on the return bus ^_^
Did not have to queue long as I was with the later mob.
@not so serious cyclist don't overload yourself with food and water, there will be plenty (free) at the feeding stations.
Take some money if you want to buy the excellent cake at Avonbridge, they are selling it for charity. Hot beverages were free last year.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
What's this about registering for start times? I signed up back in May and there was no mention of this.

Pat "5mph"

What's this about registering for start times? I signed up back in May and there was no mention of this.
Afaik the start times refer to the different rides, Family (shorter I think) Challenge or 100 mile sportive.
Basically, for the 50 mile challenge, turn up as early as you can or wait ages in the queue to get the go ahead.

I just seem to remember that when I filled in the online application I had to click a 'start time'. The 7.30 slot said 'full' and it gave options to click an 8.30 or 9.30 (I think..it was a while ago and I can't remember exactly). Maybe I dreamt it!

shyfire

When I entered a couple of weeks ago I had to select a start time, everything up to 8.30 was full :angry:
I read somewhere (not sure if on facebook) that the start times had just recently been introduced and anyone who had entered earlier in the year woud be contacted to choose a time. It sounds like they are responding to feedback to try and reduce the long waits at the start but not quite sure how succesful it will be since they're just about sending out the packs and the start time appears to be news to the majority.

Joey Shabadoo

What's the feeling about skipping the queues at the start line and joining in 50 yards later at the gates as the riders hit the main road? I saw a few people doing that last year.

Col5632

Guru
What's the feeling about skipping the queues at the start line and joining in 50 yards later at the gates as the riders hit the main road? I saw a few people doing that last year.

It does happen but its not really fair on the folk who do wait to start properly

shyfire

Someone did post on facebook saying they (and lots of others) have been joining in further up the road. They were politely advised there will be police and marshalls in place to stop that happening this year (citing health & safety)

Fubar

Guru
I've just joined CC and feel as if I've learned loads already. I've signed up for PFS to do with my hubby. Feeling a wee bit anxious after reading all the posts about the crowds etc and bottle-necking, but think it's good to be aware of all these things beforehand. I think I've registered to start at 8.30am, but I'm just wondering if it's better to get there for the 7.30am start? Know I'll have thousands of folk passing me, but thinking that might be the way to go?

Don't let it put you off, I would do it again but it's best to be aware with so many cyclists mixing with sunday afternoon "traffic" on cycle paths. You'll feel really proud of yourself once you complete it, it's just a different type of cycling!

Hardrock93

Guru

Yeah, I registered way back at the beginning of the year for the 47 miler and, at that time, there was definitely no drop down menu for a start time choice. I think this was introduced much later. Trouble is, I have no idea what my start time will be (which makes travel arrangements awkward) and when I contacted the organisers, Pennine Events, to find out, they wouldn't or couldn't tell me! They said these details would be emailed out 'shortly'.

Joey Shabadoo

Just got an email from PfS about registering for start times. It's all a bit of a kerfuffle really. I paid cash at a Decathlon so I don't have a WorldPay number so I can't register online, therefore I've emailed them and been given a ticket number for my query and placed in a queue. Meanwhile there's all kinds of stuff about starting slots, arriving early and so on. What with arranging transport to Glasgow, then sorting out buses/lorries for the return and all the rest, it's turning into an awfy palaver. I know it's great fun and I know I'll think it was all worthwhile after the event but right now I'm really wondering.

Pat "5mph"

Just got an email from PfS about registering for start times. It's all a bit of a kerfuffle really. I paid cash at a Decathlon so I don't have a WorldPay number so I can't register online, therefore I've emailed them and been given a ticket number for my query and placed in a queue. Meanwhile there's all kinds of stuff about starting slots, arriving early and so on. What with arranging transport to Glasgow, then sorting out buses/lorries for the return and all the rest, it's turning into an awfy palaver. I know it's great fun and I know I'll think it was all worthwhile after the event but right now I'm really wondering.
Ride to Glasgow, then back home :tongue:

Top Bottom