Pedal issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
For Christmas I bought Mrs73 some new pedal to better match her bike. Due to life and illness it was only a few ago we got round to fitting them.

All was well until it came to left one it just wont engage with the crack arm. It starts to engage then come out again. New to cycling I maybe but not to threads Or nuts and blots and more than know my way round taps and dies one of the many things I learned from my Dad who was a highly skilled craftsman. When I looked at the thread you can see its not right the starting point has not been finished cleanly. All the other sets (3) of pedals we have at home fit and work fine in the crank.

I contact the seller via eBay (its a shop not a person) they arrived to look and replace given time since I got them. Ok I thought they now say nothing wrong they've sent photos. I replied saying well I can't get them to fit and they are not right.

I've now had this which I get the point of but i'm finding it's taking the pee.

For the folloiwng we will assume you are not a cycle mechanic and try to cover the points to consider to try and be helpful:

These are 9/16" pedal axles - typical of adult MTB / ATB / HYBRID bikes

Are your crank arms on your bike for the alternative 1/2" pedal axles typical of BMX and smaller framed bikes and kids bikes?

Are you attempting to put the correct pedal into the correct crank arm as LEFT & RIGHT have opposite threads?

L & R are marked on the pedals. L&R are determined as you sit on the bike ( rather than when looking at it from the front)

Did you prepare the crank arm thoroughly by cleaning the hole on the arm with small brush or similar and flush thoroughly with degreaser, then grease it before offering the pedal up to the crank arm?

Ive replied saying I'm more than able to know the difference. Im waiting for a reply I think PayPal may have to sort this one.

U

User6179

If someone sends out something dodgy I don't even contact them or Ebay anymore , I just take a dispute out with Paypal straight away, had my money back including postage every time.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry but I don't see anything wrong in their questions, you are an anonymous person at the end of a message, you may know your skill level but they do not. Probably the fact you have taken umbrage to their comments means you've probably know all the things to check, but from working for many years in CS services there are two things you can rely on, most customers are thick as the proverbial & when they claim to be an expert in it they have no clue at all. I also know that if a customer sends back an sarky reply they don't stand much chance of getting anybody to go the extra for them.

Maybe a better response would be "Thank you for your reply, however having already fitted the right pedal I know that I have the correct side/size, I am also aware that the left pedal is L/H thread, I can also see that that the thread is damaged/incomplete as there is no chamfer to lead the thread in to start."

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Thanks for the replies
@Phaeton Like you point out my previous messages to said company had been of a standard to give an idea that I did know what I was doing.
@Globalti thought about that but that too did nothing.
@raleighnut Luckily for me all is well the old ones are back on and Mrs 73 is happy. Funny enough the 1st reply I got saying nothing was wrong with them also said they had concerns the peddles may have damaged the crankarm. Which leads me to think the peddle is not right.

Still no reply so it looking like over to PayPal. Shame as I spent an age finding the right ones they looked great on the bike and Mrs 73 loved them.
Oh well looks like a trip to the bike shop come next pay day.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why don't you post a photo on here of the pedal spindle threads and the crank so the experienced eyes on CC can give their verdict?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Why don't you post a photo on here of the pedal spindle threads and the crank so the experienced eyes on CC can give their verdict?

So true then they'd have no room to hide.;) Thought I'd be ok even Mrs 73 (who's not remotely mechanical) said she could see it was wrong.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Well phoned PayPal and if by magic the seller contacted me. They say they have a level 4 mechanic who checked the pedals and they are fine.
But as a good will they will replace them. They say they have done nothing wrong by law but if I want to hand it over to PayPal then that is up to me.

So the pedals are not faulty but they had concerns they may have damaged the crankarm. But the they are now willing to replace the none faulty pedals.

A sign of good will it maybe but i've lost faith in them and the quality of the pedals so am happy to let PayPal sort it.
Then find some even better ones for Mrs 73 funny enough we are holiday soon. Staying down the road from a cool bike shop.
So be rude not to see what they have. ;)

Top Bottom