Pedal lube help - please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

that thing at the left on the end ofthe axle looks like a dustcap, does it prize off to reveal a nut that you can undo?

tyred

Legendary Member
I think you'll find the thing on the left is a dustcap and you should find a 10mm nut which acts as a locknut on the outside bearing cone. Remove the nut and the cone and any washers in between them and the pedal body will slide off to reveal the inner bearing. They will probably contain loose 1/8" ball bearings.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Maybe - there is even a little slot as if for screwdriver so I tried that - but the cap is plastic and it seems to crumble rather than levering off, so I thought I'd come on here and ask before risking doing any irreparable damage. I can't afford to replace them just yet...just spent all my budget on changing to a triple chainset, and as I was doing so I noticed the pedal bearings a bit rough.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you can't get the pedal apart to grease it properly, you could try dripping in some heavy grade oil from the crank side while turning the spindle to work it in. Car gear oil should work. Anything thinner would run out again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cap "should" come off - I had some old shimano 600's - I say "should" as your problem will be the age of the cap - be very careful, even try a wide flat blade.

Top Bottom