Pedal Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sparklygal74

Regular
So, I decided to get myself out for a cycle and when I got out I wasn't getting good purchase on gears and pedals and at first I thought my gears or chain had slipped but on closer inpection it looks like my left pedal has come out the socket. I can see a big blob of grease so pretty sure I shouldn't be able to see that. I googled for a suggestion and tried holding the bike up and moving pedal counter clockwise to see if it would screw back in but it didn't work. Help! Beginner in need! TIA.

Attachments

• PEDAL.jpg
    PEDAL.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 81

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @Sparklygal74 and :welcome: to the site.

Looking at the supplied photo everything there seems normal to me. It looks like a square taper bottom bracket (the axle assembly) on which the crank arm isn't supposed to butt right up to the frame. If you waggle the crank arm is there actually any movement apart from rotation?

We could probably do with a bit more information but the problem described does sound more like it's gear adjustment related. The bike looks very clean, is it new? If so taking it back to the shop and getting them to look at it might be the simplest option.

Depending on where in Scotland you are I wonder if the Belles on Bikes might have someone close by who could help/advise. Calling @Pat "5mph" :hello:

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Thanks for the reply! The bike is new, only got it a few weeks ago. Crank arm? There is a rickety sound when pedaling and not much change in purchase moving up through the gears. I cycled about a bit to see if it would catch and resolve itself but it hasn't.
Also when I brought the right pedal up to move off at one point it just slipped down rather than staying in position.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the reply! The bike is new, only got it a few weeks ago. Crank arm? There is a rickety sound when pedaling and not much change in purchase moving up through the gears. I cycled about a bit to see if it would catch and resolve itself but it hasn't.
Also when I brought the right pedal up to move off at one point it just slipped down rather than staying in position.
Sorry, the crank arm is the arm with the pedal attached one end and the axle at the other. If you grab both of them and waggle they shouldn't move in relation to each other.

My turn to ask: Rickety? If the gears are out of adjustment you may well get various chattering noises from them as they attempt but fail to move into the next gear.

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Sorry, the crank arm is the arm with the pedal attached one end and the axle at the other. If you grab both of them and waggle they shouldn't move in relation to each other.

My turn to ask: Rickety? If the gears are out of adjustment you may well get various chattering noises from them as they attempt but fail to move into the next gear.

Rickety = chattering noises.
So if the gears are out of alignment, how do I sort that? The chain appears a bit loose maybe? Sorry, am such a noob! I had a bike previously and it got stolen and I didn't bother to learn how to do basic maintenance and problem solving. This time I am determined to learn so that I can be more adventurous on my cycles, e.g. go on holidays, do cycle challenges etc. I did Pedal for Scotland 6 years ago and I was lucky I had no issues on the ride that had to be solved.

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Again I agree with Phil, is there any chance of the bike getting a free 1st service (perfectly standard with any new bike) or was it an online purchase?

I bought it in a Evans Cycle shop through Cyclescheme. My inexperience is probably caused the issue because I haven't been out on the bike so much since I got it that I would have thought a repair would be necessary already! :cry:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You say the LH pedal came out of the socket. That would be in the crank arm I guess., the other end of the item you posted. Why did you post the other end? Do you think there is a problem there? It just needs screwing back in again if the thread is nor damaged. This has a reverse thread, in other words it screws in anti clockwise. Be very careful to screw it in straight, if it won't go in or jams after finger tightening try again. After a few turns by hand use a 15mm open ended spanner to tighten it fully.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I bought it in a Evans Cycle shop through Cyclescheme. My inexperience is probably caused the issue because I haven't been out on the bike so much since I got it that I would have thought a repair would be necessary already! :cry:
Take it into the shop and they should return it to A1 condition for you, you'll need the receipt but a 1st 'fettle' of everything is normal with a new bike, cables stretch and things can need adjustment. This isn't a repair it is absolutely normal for any new bike or even one that has been 'rebuilt'.

They should have told you this when you got it, and any faults should be rectified FOC (By the way Evans are a decent group probably the best of the large cycle chain retailers, they value their reputation)

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
You say the LH pedal came out of the socket. That would be in the crank arm I guess., the other end of the item you posted. Why did you post the other end? Do you think there is a problem there? It just needs screwing back in again if the thread is nor damaged. This has a reverse thread, in other words it screws in anti clockwise. Be very careful to screw it in straight, if it won't go in or jams after finger tightening try again. After a few turns by hand use a 15mm open ended spanner to tighten it fully.

Thanks I already tried to screw it back anti-clockwise. If
Turn the knurled knob on the rear dérailleur by half a turn. If the chattering gets worse turn it the other way. Keep turning it half a turn until there's no chattering and the gears change smoothly up and down.

View attachment 364911

Thank you very much
Turn the knurled knob on the rear dérailleur by half a turn. If the chattering gets worse turn it the other way. Keep turning it half a turn until there's no chattering and the gears change smoothly up and down.

View attachment 364911

Thanks very much!:notworthy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Sparklygal74 and :welcome: to CC from Rutherglen.
As @Rickshaw Phil mentioned, I am part of the Glasgow Belles on Bikes.
I have some time off next week: do you want me to come to Evans with you?
If you are not in Glasgow there are other Belles group, there's probably one near you, I can put you in contact.
I am now going to send you a pm (private message) so we can exchange more details.
Chaps on this thread, fear not, when we find out what's wrong with the bike I will post ^_^

Top Bottom