Pedal Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Thanks again! I don't have enough knowledge you are right! I have booked a service at the shop where I bought my bike but at the moment the bike is not safe for road. I just took it out again and the problem has not changed after trying a couple of the early suggestions.

I do have a tool kit but have not tried the above photo. Don't want to make things worse.

simongt

Guru
By the way Evans are a decent group probably the best of the large cycle chain retailers, they value their reputation)
Don't agree. The GLW bought a bike through Evan's website. After a while, had to change the triple chainwheel. Tried using my trusty extractor, would't budge. Eventually I had to drift it off using a heat gun and some well placed hammer blows. :cursing: I've NEVER ever had to do that with any of the many bikes I / we've had in the past / present. The chainwheel had obviously been put on without any lube involved. Contacted Evan's via their website and apart several 'Yes, we'll respond to your enquiry', replies, never got anywhere with it.
So our experience with Evan's is - unimpressed. :thumbsdown:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't agree. The GLW bought a bike through Evan's website. After a while, had to change the triple chainwheel. Tried using my trusty extractor, would't budge. Eventually I had to drift it off using a heat gun and some well placed hammer blows. :cursing: I've NEVER ever had to do that with any of the many bikes I / we've had in the past / present. The chainwheel had obviously been put on without any lube involved. Contacted Evan's via their website and apart several 'Yes, we'll respond to your enquiry', replies, never got anywhere with it.
So our experience with Evan's is - unimpressed. :thumbsdown:
Some companies use Loctite 'Studlock' on square taper cranks, I've come across a couple. All you need to do is heat it up a bit and the bond is destroyed so once it has cooled down the extractor tool will work.

In any event I don't think Evans were going to remove the crank and grease prior to delivery.

Did the crank need removing/changing after a couple of rides or had it been a while.

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Possible Eureka moment? See photo below.

The chain appears to be squint and rubbing along metal on left hand side of this photo. I have looked and looked and the chain is still on the cogs? for the gears. Is the chain loose? Are the pedals out if alignment which is causing the chain to rub on the netal??

Going stir crazy. Need to be out on my bike!!

Attachments

• IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 73

alicat

Legendary Member
Please just take it to a bike shop for a first service then book yourself on a bike maintenance course such as the ones run by Edinburgh cycle coop.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Possible Eureka moment? See photo below.

The chain appears to be squint and rubbing along metal on left hand side of this photo. I have looked and looked and the chain is still on the cogs? for the gears. Is the chain loose? Are the pedals out if alignment which is causing the chain to rub on the netal??

Going stir crazy. Need to be out on my bike!!
Front derailleur is misaligned and it doesn't look to have been 'knocked' as it would then be (mis)aligned the other way so possibly bolt not tightened enough on assembly.

BTW these are quite tricky to position correctly unless you're experienced.

OP
OP
Sparklygal74

Sparklygal74

Regular
Front derailleur is misaligned and it doesn't look to have been 'knocked' as it would then be (mis)aligned the other way so possibly bolt not tightened enough on assembly.

BTW these are quite tricky to position correctly unless you're experienced.

Thanks for that. I just want to get safely up to the shop on Wednesday to take the bike in for it's service. Hence why I posted again.

Widge

Baldy Go
Sparklygal...........it is very difficult for us to diagnose the problem(s?) based on just your photos and descriptions. You need to get yer bik to a bik-shop.....ideally the one you bought it from but ANY one would do! I would bet my hat that these 'problems' are easily sorted. Make sure you can ride it efficiently and safely if you intend to ride to a shop. My inclination in your case would be to load it into the back of a car and have done with it.
Don't let these teething and 'new-bike-settling' problems faze you......it is all part and parcel of the new bike experience! Things like pre-stretched cables tend to be supplied with top-dollar bicycles so-if you want the 'best' new rider experience and a bike that just hums you have (in my experience) to expect a modicom of of tweak and adjust in the first few days of a bikes life. Maybe everyone else has been lucky! I learned a lot during my first few weeks of owning a brand new pukka road bike but it's all do-able and not rocket science. If you want to feel more comfortable with keeping tabs on your own maintainance rather than rely on shops there are no end of resources on the web and we are here to help?
I have a feeling that once you get it to a shop they will sort it in 1-1-2, but there is nothing quite as satisfying as learning how to look after it yourself in the end. There isn't a lot to it! (famous last words!!)
Above all-embrace and ENJOY the whole thinginess of being a cyclinge enthusiast! There are worse hobbies (train-spotting and viola-playing come to mind.)

All Best

and keep us updated

W

Last edited:
Top Bottom