Pedal problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Not sure that 1/4 of an inch saddle height difference will make much difference to me. My existing bikes have that degree of variation despite my best efforts.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I did look at some pedals with a flat side, but they were going ,used, for more than a pair of new normal ones.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm pretty sure I don't consistently set my Brompton saddle height to within 1/4 inch of the same setting each time I unfold it.

I'm lucky that with the long post I'm right with it fully extended.

I think you can set a height somehow if you don't need the full extension ?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is a fairly cheap insert you can buy to set the height at maximum extension, assuming you don't get lucky with one of the standard posts and moving the Pentaclip up or down.

A frequent cyclist can usually feel a 5mm difference in seat height.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm lucky that with the long post I'm right with it fully extended.

I think you can set a height somehow if you don't need the full extension ?
Probably.

I use a telescopic post so I have two clamps that I can open and close. I always choose the wrong one. As it is I manage to land it to within a few cm at the first go. Then heel on pedal ... adust it a bit ... faff a bit. I'm probably plus or minus a cm or two each time.

If I was super efficient I could probably have marks on the seatpost to get it to within a few mm each time. But I'm not. Faffing to within a cm or so is good enough for me. Others are more efficient and demanding I guess.

Kell

Veteran
I found the telescopic post the best in terms of setting the correct height (before getting the plastic insert).

Extend the bottom part fully, then extend the top part to give the correct riding height. Then, when folding, only collapse down the bottom part. After that, every time you fully extend it, it's correctly set.

When I got my own bike, I ordered the extended post, not the telescopic one and it came with the plastic insert. Took a while to get right, but that does a similar job of only allowing the post to come up to a certain height. So you pull it all the way up till it won't extend any further.

However, last time I used my Brompton (not ridden it much over the last year and a bit) I forgot that I'd followed a new idea about cleat positioning and had moved my cleats back. It was massively obvious that my seat is now too high compared to my old position and my hips were rocking and legs overstretching. So I had to adjust it down, but it was on the fly, and not very scientific.

I do need to buy another insert and re-measure everything.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Extend the bottom part fully, then extend the top part to give the correct riding height. Then, when folding, only collapse down the bottom part. After that, every time you fully extend it, it's correctly set.
That's kind of what I do in theory. But in practice I'm forever undoing the telescopic clip by mistake. Because I'm an idiot. :smile:

Kell

Veteran
Interestingly, I used to carry my bike in the back of our Mini, so using the method of setting the height on the telescopic post and still only collapsing the bottom part, resulted in a smaller package than the the extended post going all the way down.

I know this because my bike currently only just fits in the back of our car, whereas it went in a lot easier on the hire bike I had with the telescopic post.

I ended up cutting away a considerable amount off the rubber bung on the bottom of the post to enable my current bike to go in the boot.

12boy

Guru
My system is simple...my saddle is high enough so that when my pedal is down all the I can barely reach it with my heel. 1/8 of an inch is noticeable to me. That height is kindest to the old arthritic knees.

ExBrit

Über Member
Just been out on the Brompton. Did 20 miles.
My ankles ain't half sore.
I kept banging them on crank arms, or my feet just flew off the pedals.
I was wearing rubber(or similar composite) soled shoes. What am I doing wrong, or is this normal?
Wish there were folding SPD pedals😒
There are QR SPD pedals. They were the second thing I upgraded after slapping a Brooks saddle on. I got them on Amazon at a reasonable price.
Slide the pedal in, slide the metal ring sideways, push the rubber towards the bike. Go ride. Great theft deterrent too, just pop one off before you go in the store and put it in your pocket.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z1DX3HJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
There are QR SPD pedals. They were the second thing I upgraded after slapping a Brooks saddle on. I got them on Amazon at a reasonable price.
Slide the pedal in, slide the metal ring sideways, push the rubber towards the bike. Go ride. Great theft deterrent too, just pop one off before you go in the store and put it in your pocket.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z1DX3HJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks but Amazon says out of stock.
I've put a pair of bog standard 520 SPD pedals on. I use these on all my bikes so know what to expect.
They don't seem to stick out very much further than the folding standard version. As I'll never be a Lunnun commuter and won't be carrying the thing up escalators etc. I'm prepared to give it a try.

ExBrit

Über Member
Thanks but Amazon says out of stock.
I've put a pair of bog standard 520 SPD pedals on. I use these on all my bikes so know what to expect.
They don't seem to stick out very much further than the folding standard version. As I'll never be a Lunnun commuter and won't be carrying the thing up escalators etc. I'm prepared to give it a try.
That's odd - I'm looking at it right now and it says in-stock delivered in a week.

Top Bottom