Pedal problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been out on the Brompton. Did 20 miles.
My ankles ain't half sore.
I kept banging them on crank arms, or my feet just flew off the pedals.
I was wearing rubber(or similar composite) soled shoes. What am I doing wrong, or is this normal?
Wish there were folding SPD pedals😒

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Dunno, I used to ride my in brogues or trainers. no such issues

Mikashima make an assortment of quick release pedals, some models of which are clip-in. I've got a pair of their Time A-tac clones which I can interchange with a regular platform in a matter of a few seconds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not normal for me. I don't have any problem with standard Brompton pedals.

You could fit SPDs but instead of sore ankles you'd get sore shins from hitting yourself with the pedal when carrying the bike folded.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Trying to ride with ball of foot on pedal.
I wonder if it's the shoes being to hard? Maybe the soles just weren't biting onto the pedal teeth?
I don't envisage carrying the bike very much, so maybe SPD pedals won't be a problem. Or I could try soft soled trainers.

Good job I like a challenge.

What length crank and how tall?

I ditched my toe clips for everyday riding but still kept the habit of spinning in circles, not pumping up and down on the pedals.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
What length crank and how tall?
Crank is standard, no idea how long. I'm 6'2".
I'm going to try some SPDs when i find a pair in the For Sale section.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are removable SPD-compatible pedals. A mate has just got a pair of the Wellgo ones and they are nice. I struggle with the standard pedals too, but it's simply because I'm used to being attached to the bike. I just put small SPDs on - it's not as if there is a width limit on public transport.

12boy

Guru
I like my Shimano pedals with flats on one side and SPDs on the other. The extra width vs being able to wear pretty much whatever from flipflops to snowboots is an easy choice for me. They have lasted for years without any issues.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The usual flaw with those is that the effective saddle height is different for each side (unless you wear DMs or something for the flat side) but it's not as bad on a Brompton since the seatpost can just be put down 1/4" from normal.

Top Bottom