pedal recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've never been a total convert to clipless pedals and SPDs. I like being able to ride my bikes in my normal clothes and shoes for a start. However, I have Keo type road pedals on my racer and single sided (i.e. flat one side, SPD cleat the other) on my mountain bike. The Keo pedals are alright, except I sometimes struggle to clip myself in when the traffic lights turn green and there's a lot of impatient traffic behind you. It's the SPDs that always end up annoying me. I've tried the single sided pedals like the Shimano M324, double sided like Shimano M540, and double sided with big platforms like the Shimano M647.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=681

They always end up making a horrible grinding noise. I don't know whether it's my foot and leg action twisting the cleat, or the design of the pedal, inadequate maintenance, or whether they're too cheap. I'm tight and don't like spending over £30 on pedals. I get the impression it's a feature with the design anyway. Are there any designs of clipless pedals that are

1. not very expensive
  2. suitable for mountain bikes
  3. can be ridden on with flat shoes
  4. don't make horrible grinding noises

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ah.....so the horrible grinding noises are not just a feature of my 324's then. They drive me crackers. I can stop it for a while by applying a little chain lube on the contact points, but ten minutes later its back. Aaaaarghhh!

gf1959

I shall never know the merits of any clipless pedals,after breaking my femur in a low speed fall in 2008 i can't risk another tumble and getting used to clipless would probably result
in exactly that. Pity,they sound a far more efficient way to pedal but on the plus side i won't have to buy any special shoes.(Or pedals come to that).

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
HJ said:
I use Shimano A530, they don't make make horrible grinding noises...

Interesting, are they quite new? Do you get grinding noises with other pedals? Your feet and knees may not twist so much as mine appear to. The cleat mechanism seems similar to the other Shimano SPDs.

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a friend who uses the same pedals as HJ, a plenty of power rider, he's never complained about his, they've done a fair bit and if they weren't right he'd have got rid by now.

The extra £10 over the 520's put me off buying them, but the bigger platform appeals.

Top Bottom