pedal spindle lengths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
recently bought some new shoes and was looking for new pedals well that went on the back burner financially. i was replacing some duraace spd pedals.

i fitted some old look delta pedals i have, despite pushing the cleat as near to the inside of the shoe, looking from above, the inside of my foot rubs on the cranks arm, so it would seem i need longers spindles. are newer pedal fitted with longer spindles.

I am still interested in speedplays.

Weird. They shouldn't rub. Double check that you've fitted the cleat towrds the inside of the shoe, it can be a bit confusing.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
yh yh i can see the corner of the cleat poking out under the shoe it is that far over! i am worried that i will end up putting to much weight on the outside of my foot

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i will go check on my turbo trainer again, but i am sure it was at the widest part along the ball of the feet, i dont know the anatomical name, but the bone at the base of the big toe, as i said the widest part of the foot. it was my first fitting and wearing so i will try again, yt to ride on the road which i know can be different from riding on a turbo trainer

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i have just had a look and there is around 1-2mm i can still move the cleat. i will have to see how that feels but i am worried about the outside of my foot being so out away from the support of the pedal i hope it doesnt add to knee problems.

Which shoes?

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
these with the stiff sole it shouldnt be too much of an issue?, i have had trouble with shoes in the past so i dug deep and spent time and money on these so hopefully these will solve sore feet problems.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
ok we will see how we get on, thank for input , appreciated,
any suggestions for new pedal, speedplay have been suggested due to good float.

any words of wisdom?

I don't use road cleats at all any more but I used to perfectly happy with the original LOOK pedals on a carbon sole. Speedplay are very highly rated. I don't know what I'd go for if I were in the market, Keos I spect. Dunno

Top Bottom