Pedalling heavier over night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for replying. Very kind of you.

Yes, with my limited knowledge, I assume if can only be the pedal or cranks.

I took it back to Haldords and was treated appallingly. After riding it everyday for 6 weeks, I told the guy that I noticed a significant difference in its performance overnight and 2 days later my left knee problem started coming back. The cycle guy at Halfords said there was nothing wrong with it. I politely insisted that there was something not right. He picked up the bike, put it over the Barrier (2 meter virus Barrier) and said “I can’t do anything for you” and walked in, locking the side door behind him. Disgraceful attitude, especially after I was respectful, kind and cooperative throughout our conversation to try and find a solution. It will be my first complaint in many years against anyone. That was unacceptable.

Actually there is something you can check on your wife’s bike if you don’t mind. There is a bit, I’m not sure if it should be slightly bent onwards or not. It’s Sending photo now. Thanks again for your help

Hi - just seen your message
I have got my wife's bike out and looked around but I am a unclear where those photos are from on the bike
can you show me and I'll have another look

BTW - I wouldn't fiddle with it much as you may give Halford an excuse to reject the guarantee. If they still won't fix it I would be sending a recorded delivery letter to their Head Office as well as a copy to the store manager

I have to say that I don;t like Halfords but a while ago they cocked up a service on my 10 year old ebike (it was a special offer when we bought my wife's bike) and, although it took them 3 weeks to fix it, they did bend over backwards to find a solution.
You could potentially take the bike and the receipt to another Halfords store???

ANyway good luck with it

gbb

Legendary Member
Im lucky really that my health is in a really good place at 41. I had symptoms of Covid a few weeks ago, and I felt tired riding the bike for a couple of days. It passed and I was back to normal before I felt this pedal resistance thing started to happen.
Glad your better now. Be interesting to see if the bike problem persists, I may be wrong with my theory, equally.....

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
Hi - just seen your message
I have got my wife's bike out and looked around but I am a unclear where those photos are from on the bike
can you show me and I'll have another look

BTW - I wouldn't fiddle with it much as you may give Halford an excuse to reject the guarantee. If they still won't fix it I would be sending a recorded delivery letter to their Head Office as well as a copy to the store manager

I have to say that I don;t like Halfords but a while ago they cocked up a service on my 10 year old ebike (it was a special offer when we bought my wife's bike) and, although it took them 3 weeks to fix it, they did bend over backwards to find a solution.
You could potentially take the bike and the receipt to another Halfords store???

ANyway good luck with it

Yes I agree about not tampering with it. Even if that bit is bent, I won’t be touching it. As you rightly say, they could get out of replacing it. It surly must be the terms & conditions that you can’t work on the bike whilst it is under warranty.

Yes, there are good workers at Halfords. I left first class feedback on the guy who sold me the Bike. He was very easy to deal with and didn’t push me into buying anything. Another worker helped me a week later. This guy was a rouge on that day. Maybe he’s okay in general, just a bad day. But still unacceptable because he left me feeling angry. Which isn’t like me at all.

I actually did go to a different store that day, but there was no tech guy until the next day.

Thank you for you help 👍

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Halfords are changing the back wheel. They think that bent back wheel spokes might be causing drag
Sensible response - at last - by Halfords.

I reckon that may cure it, although I'm not certain where the controller is installed in the Suntour system.

It may be in the battery case or under it, so replacing that is the next step if the fault persists.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
Sensible response - at last - by Halfords.

I reckon that may cure it, although I'm not certain where the controller is installed in the Suntour system.

It may be in the battery case or under it, so replacing that is the next step if the fault persists.

I had asked if them and I could use their ebike which they used for 30 minutes testing before the covid-19 outbreak. Then compare them both. That would immediately let us know if I was right or wrong about the performance. But they said they wasn’t allowed to ride my back. But yes, we are getting somewhere .

I tried looking at where the is located. It must be small !!!.

Thanks for the tip on the Battery Case. I might need all the help that I could get.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had asked if them and I could use their ebike which they used for 30 minutes testing before the covid-19 outbreak. Then compare them both. That would immediately let us know if I was right or wrong about the performance. But they said they wasn’t allowed to ride my back. But yes, we are getting somewhere .

I tried looking at where the is located. It must be small !!!.

Thanks for the tip on the Battery Case. I might need all the help that I could get.

You may have grasped there are three main components to an ebike propulsion system - battery, controller, and motor.

Few people have the expertise to service these, so finding a fault is a matter of changing each one in turn.

The battery and motor is obvious, but the controller may be hidden in either the battery or the motor.

The other bit to consider is a magnetic sensor which may be on the cranks, or the chain stay where it picks up info from a spoke magnet.

I'm not familiar with the sensor arrangement on the Suntour system, but it might be worth carefully comparing the crank area of your bike with a new one.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
You may have grasped there are three main components to an ebike propulsion system - battery, controller, and motor.

Few people have the expertise to service these, so finding a fault is a matter of changing each one in turn.

The battery and motor is obvious, but the controller may be hidden in either the battery or the motor.

The other bit to consider is a magnetic sensor which may be on the cranks, or the chain stay where it picks up info from a spoke magnet.

I'm not familiar with the sensor arrangement on the Suntour system, but it might be worth carefully comparing the crank area of your bike with a new one.
Yes, the sensor, I'd not thought of that.
It's a bit of a faff but remove the drive side crank...carefully, and the sensor is attached by three mall pozi screws and it's only on a short loom, easily tugged if you allow the crank to pull away unsupported.. Apparently theres a lug that can break off. The sensor is actually optical I think. Definately worth considering as a reason for OPs problem.

Top Bottom