Over powered bikes that are resticted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
Im looking for an ebike for the commute to work.

I have seen some 500w and even 1000w bikes advertised and they are restricted to limit the assisted speed to 15.9mph

does this restriction make them leagal to use on UK roads?

Drago

Legendary Member
No.

Any bike without the necessary plate/decal confirming EAPC regulation compliance is illegal to use in public. Even the densest of coppers need only look for this decal (or absence thereof) to confirm legality, and that's what they've been instructed to do here in Poshshire.

It's no more legal than modifying a 500cc motorbike to top out at 30 and trying to ride it as a moped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Any bike without the necessary plate/decal confirming EAPC regulation compliance is illegal to use in public.

so does that mean any of thoes conversion kits that motorise a standard bike are illegal aswell even if the specs are within the legal limit?

Last edited:
Good morning,

If you are buying new then to be an EAPC a ebike must
  • Be fitted with pedals that can pedal it, i.e not hidden away so that it practice they can never be used.
  • The continuous rated power ofelectric motor must not exceed 250 W.
    • If you are trying to nitpick then continousis not defined,
      • Does it mean a surge for say 0.1 seconds which seems reasonable to me as this is something that on a cheap nd cheerfull ebike cant avoid?
      • Or does it mean a surge for say 5 seconds, 10 seconds or even more? This seems to be an interpretation that produces a much nicer to ride ebike.
  • Motor must cut off when the cycle reaches 15.5 m/h.
Again the legal position is quite simple, all ebikes are by default motor bikes or mopeds requiring tax, type/individual approval, an MOT after a while and the rider to have a licence and insurance.

If the certain criteria are met then the motorcycle/moped become an Electically Assisted Pedal Cycle and all the tax, licence, insurance etc requirements dissapper. The moment that one of the critera cease to be met then the ebike simply drops out of the EPAC exemptions and becomes motorbike.

An ebike that doesn't meet the EAPC criteria not an illegal ebike it is simple a motorbike/moped.

If you are riding a non EPAC ebike then the insurance issue becomes the same as with a car etc. If the public are being invited onto the land then for the purposes requiring insurance then that land is regarded as public. A great example is a church car park, if a service is being run and a sign says "All Invited" then the vicar needs insurance when drinving a car in the car park. If that car park later has a sign saying "no public allowed" then the vicar no longer needs insurance, until the next service with the "All Invited" sign.

For some reason, riding non EPAC ebikes under EPAC exemptions has become socially acceptable by many who would actively criticise driving a car or "real" motor cylce with insurance etc.

Like all things involving the law there will be someone, sometime comming along with a work around but the intention of the law is quite clear. I get that 1kw ebike would be much better for my commute, but it is no different from saying I want to ride a 125cc motor bike without a licene etc.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
so does that mean amy of thoes conversion kits that motorise a standard bike are illegal aswell even if the specs are within the legal limit?

Worth bearing in mind selling and therefore possessing these kits is not illegal.

The illegal bit is the use you put it to.

It's rather like a kitchen knife.

Owning one is legal, as is using it to chop your vegetables, but plunging it into someone's chest is illegal.

Good morning,

Just to be clear I am not anti ebike.

I would support a change to the law creating an EPAC 2 category

This would have
  • A power limit of around 500w
  • A speed based cut off at 20mph
  • A requirement for the rider to have completed a two part CBT type test,
    • Part one before riding in public
    • Part two a month(ish) later when bad habbits could be addressed
    • The implication of this is that some form of badge needs to be displayed on this type of ebike
However we have the laws that we have and even though they keep me off an ebike I can't simply ignore them because I would be a safe rider on a more powerful bike.

Bye

Ian

Drago

Legendary Member
so does that mean any of thoes conversion kits that motorise a standard bike are illegal aswell even if the specs are within the legal limit?

That's a grey area.

Technically even the 250W/15.5 MPH kits are not legal either without the EAPC compliance plate/decal, which will usually be found on the motor on legal kits. Without this plate/decwl it can never be a legal licence-free ebike regardless of its performance.

However, kits that are genuinely 250W/15.5MPH without the plate tend to have a blind eye turned in the basis thwt they at least comply with the spirit of the regulations, but that's not a guarantee of inaction by the dibble if you should be stopped.

As aforementioned, here in Poshshire the dibble have been instructed to seek out the compliance plate/decal, which is a simple check and the results fairly cut and dried.

If you want a speed pedelec or an electric moped then buy a speed pedelec or an electric moped, and jump through the licencing and insurance hoops accordingly. If you want to keep it legal then buy one of the gazillions of legal ebikes or legal conversion kits. I can't see why this is at all difficult.

The other thing to consider is recent news coverage about ebike and scooter batteries going off with the energy of dozens of hand grenades and burning peoples houses down. These are almost always illegal items (in the sense its illegal to ride them in public, not merely own them) of budget chinese manufacture. Why would you want anything that risky anywhere near you or your house?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Been googling the differences between a compliant and non compliant ebike and a bit confused.

Registering an ebike only costs £55 and is exempt from "road tax", so cost is minimal.

I already have third party insurance through Cycling UK whan riding normal bikes and wouldnt hesitate in checking and upgrading my insurance to cover more powerful bikes.

Number plates, I'm sure don't cost very much and would be a one off cost.

So what's the issue with just getting a non compliant ebike legalised? Especially as the outlay for an ebike must be £1k+.

Do you need to do a CBT course?

At my age, I think I have a few more years left on my normal bikes, but you never know in the future.

Mike_P

Guru
Again the legal position is quite simple, all ebikes are by default motor bikes or mopeds requiring tax, type/individual approval, an MOT after a while and the rider to have a licence and insurance.

Think that paragraph needs rephrasing as not all ebikes require such, just those that do not meet the requlations for exemption from the requirements.

Mike_P

Guru
Been googling the differences between a compliant and non compliant ebike and a bit confused.

Registering an ebike only costs £55 and is exempt from "road tax", so cost is minimal.

I already have third party insurance through Cycling UK whan riding normal bikes and wouldnt hesitate in checking and upgrading my insurance to cover more powerful bikes.

Number plates, I'm sure don't cost very much and would be a one off cost.

So what's the issue with just getting a non compliant ebike legalised? Especially as the outlay for an ebike must be £1k+.

Do you need to do a CBT course?

At my age, I think I have a few more years left on my normal bikes, but you never know in the future.

I suspect the issue why riders of illegal ebikes do not get the legalised is that they are barred from cyclepaths.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I'm struggling to understand your apparent obsession with illegal ebikes. Surely there are more than enough legal options from trusted suppliers that you could choose from, unless of course you just want to get a thinly disguised electric motorbike but without the hassle and expense of registering, taxing and insuring it?

the first thing i did was to watch some youtube reviews on bikes. The two bikes I liked seemed to fall outside of uk laws on ebikes. The one i liked the most was bought buy a guy in the uk in good faith and it was not untill after he posted his review he learned from the comment section he was breaking the law. He then removed the throttle in an attempt to make it more compliant but after buying it he is not likley to discard the bike and I am sure there are many owners in the uk in a similar position. we all know ignorance of the law is no defence but we all live in the real world an nobody will through away a £1500 bike because of a technicality.
budget is a big factor for me and a cost effective solution for me would be to convert my existing bike. there are many 250w conversion kits available that I thought were leagal untill I posted on this forum.
I am not obsessed with illegal ebikes. I am obsessed with getting value for money. With the vast amount of products available going to a UK high street retailer and paying top money for a low spec bike because it has a stamp on it at first glimps does not seem to offer that. however having your bike confiscated by the police and possibly risking points on my driving licence does not seem like a great idea either.
I am just trying to educate myself before I go spending money. I am perfectly willing to register a bike with the DVLA if that what it takes. But that might make it cost prohibitive for my needs

Top Bottom