Over powered bikes that are resticted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Been googling the differences between a compliant and non compliant ebike and a bit confused.

Registering an ebike only costs £55 and is exempt from "road tax", so cost is minimal.

I already have third party insurance through Cycling UK whan riding normal bikes and wouldnt hesitate in checking and upgrading my insurance to cover more powerful bikes.

Number plates, I'm sure don't cost very much and would be a one off cost.

So what's the issue with just getting a non compliant ebike legalised? Especially as the outlay for an ebike must be £1k+.

Do you need to do a CBT course?

At my age, I think I have a few more years left on my normal bikes, but you never know in the future.

You forgot the £85 for the MSVA along with getting & taking it to the test.

classic33

Leg End Member
Been googling the differences between a compliant and non compliant ebike and a bit confused.

Registering an ebike only costs £55 and is exempt from "road tax", so cost is minimal.

I already have third party insurance through Cycling UK whan riding normal bikes and wouldnt hesitate in checking and upgrading my insurance to cover more powerful bikes.

Number plates, I'm sure don't cost very much and would be a one off cost.

So what's the issue with just getting a non compliant ebike legalised? Especially as the outlay for an ebike must be £1k+.

Do you need to do a CBT course?

At my age, I think I have a few more years left on my normal bikes, but you never know in the future.
Not surprised you're confused. When a bike manufacturer/importer gives out conflicting information about the legality of their bikes on different sites.

The rider is required to have passed the relevant test(s) or already have it marked on their licence. Insurance, for bike and rider are required.

To get the number plates, you first have to register it. Not as easy as it sounds.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member

I dont agree.

take for example an "engwe l20" for example. seems like a great flexable, eco friendly, conjestion friendly way to get around your local area. but if you are restricted to only been able it on roads competing with HGV's and other traffic and banned from cyle paths and off road trails I might aswell take my car.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think you just hit the nail on the head there. That is indeed the issue. People want a flexible middle ground that the current laws dont allow for
Some people want the freedom a bike gives, but not the responsibility that's required to ride something that's not legal on public land without extra requirements.
There's a thread in this section titled "Throttle" in which this was gone over, in detail.

This is something that's going to increase as time goes on.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Although several petitions to that effect have been raised and fallen flat, miserably so, which suggests those 'people' are few in number.
probably because too many people have been sold the idea that the electric car is the answer to future means of transport.

classic33

Leg End Member
I dont agree.

take for example an "engwe l20" for example. seems like a great flexable, eco friendly, conjestion friendly way to get around your local area. but if you are restricted to only been able it on roads competing with HGV's and other traffic and banned from cyle paths and off road trails I might aswell take my car.
That's the choice you make if you want to use that bike. Don't like the limits placed on its usage, don't buy it.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Some people want the freedom a bike gives, but not the responsibility that's required to ride something that's not legal on public land without extra requirements.
There's a thread in this section titled "Throttle" in which this was gone over, in detail.

This is something that's going to increase as time goes on.

I belive it is not a question of reponsibility more to do with the old problem of bikes being there own thing and dont fit in very well with road traffic or pedestrians whether assisted or not

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
That's the choice you make if you want to use that bike. Don't like the limits placed on its usage, don't buy it.
I am not going to buy it. I shall just continue to use my single
occupant family size petrol car to get to work. Like a majority of people offered the same choice

Mike_P

Guru
I am not going to buy it. I shall just continue to use my single
occupant family size petrol car to get to work. Like a majority of people offered the same choice

What's wrong with a legal ebike? I use mine to shop and commute there is often negligible time difference between using the ebike and driving due to the easy ability to avoid grid locked traffic that cycle routes even if its a short link between two roads allow for, and the ready availability of cycle stands saves on time looking for a parking place.The only reason I can see for using an illegal ebike is to be as lazy as if driving car exercise wise.

classic33

Leg End Member
I belive it is not a question of reponsibility more to do with the old problem of bikes being there own thing and dont fit in very well with road traffic or pedestrians whether assisted or not
Very little horse drawn traffic on the roads nowadays though, and bicycles predate motor vehicles on roads.

I've commuted on one, two and four wheels under pedal power. Always on the same roads as every other road vehicle headed in the same direction. And dislike being told that I'm "not supposed to be on the road", by whoever is shouting it at me. As for pedal cycles and pedestrians not mixing very well, it's one reason I'm not in favour of shared use footpaths. We moan about cars, another type of road vehicle parking on footpaths, but don't seem to mind our type of road vehicle being used on the same footpaths.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
What's wrong with a legal ebike? I use mine to shop and commute there is often negligible time difference between using the ebike and driving due to the easy ability to avoid grid locked traffic that cycle routes even if its a short link between two roads allow for, and the ready availability of cycle stands saves on time looking for a parking place.The only reason I can see for using an illegal ebike is to be as lazy as if driving car exercise wise.
If I do buy an ebike I will get a leagal one.

As for the lazy I think the world is missing a trick here. Why not get the lazy out of their cars and onto ebikes rather than into a Tesla. it will cut down congestion, use less energy ect ect

Top Bottom