Over powered bikes that are resticted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
well it has been an interesting thread so far but I must admit it has seemed to have got more heated than I expected.

I guess the big problem for me is I have never used an ebike so im uncertain of their capabilities.

I want to be able to get to work without arriving there hot, sweaty and in need of a change of clothes and a shower. A leagal ebike might be do that but I just dont know at this stage. if it cant then I need to use my car to get to work but being able to use the same mode of transport to get some exercise on the way home would be a advantage over the car. Aswell as the abillity to travel on the cycle path and avoide the traffic.

One of the problems is that illegal - or non EPAC - bikes are being advertised all over the place
and - like escooters - there is very little to tell prospective purchasers that these are actually motorbikes - and at least as fast as a small ICE motorbike
some even look like motorbikes and have a couple of useless pedals on them just to make them look OK
Trading Standards - foreign
They are advertised frequently (OK not though main stream channels) and people see them

I recently complained about an advert for one on Groupon - which also regularly advertises escooters - and couln't find anyone who was willing to enforce any regulations or make the "This is not legal to ride on the road" compulsory
The message did appear after a week or so but in very small print and not obvious in any manner

I tries talking direct to Groupon - not their problem as they just see it - talk to the manufacturer (OK - maybe I'll start selling extreme Nazi stuff and see if you are oK advertising that eh??)
Tried to find teh manufacturer - foreign and couldn't find any way to contact them easily
Tried Trading Standards - foreign - can;t do anything about it
Wrote to my MP - said he would forward it onto the relevant department - which appears to be a black hole
tried advertising standards - can;t do anything as it .......

Basically it seems that you can advertise them and sell them and there is no come back as there is no-one responsible for forcing them to take any responsibility for where and how they might be used

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
well it has been an interesting thread so far but I must admit it has seemed to have got more heated than I expected.

I guess the big problem for me is I have never used an ebike so im uncertain of their capabilities.

I want to be able to get to work without arriving there hot, sweaty and in need of a change of clothes and a shower. A leagal ebike might be do that but I just dont know at this stage. if it cant then I need to use my car to get to work but being able to use the same mode of transport to get some exercise on the way home would be a advantage over the car. Aswell as the abillity to travel on the cycle path and avoide the traffic.

Whats wrong getting sweaty. Change of clothes, wet wipes and deodorant. I work in an office in a trousers and shirt. Not a problem. It's good exercise.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
just over 6 miles. some climbes not that steep long. rest is fairly flat

Depending on your health/fitness, that’s an easily achievable commute on a standard bike. I‘m retired now but my commute sounds like it was similar at 7 miles with 300ft of elevation (uphill most of the way home!) and I did that leg comfortably in 35-40 minutes. The journey in was 30 minutes.

From what you describe, I think a legal EPAC would be ideal for you.

Mike_P

Guru
just over 6 miles. some climbes not that steep long. rest is fairly flat

My short commute is of U shape in elevation. To work there is a 0.27 mile long average 6.8% climb (max 10.9%) which on the maximum assist level is easilly tackled spinning gently in an appropriate gear, doesn't do much for the Strava sector time but does mean no change of clothes is needed. If it's really hot I will use two panniers but in cooler weather a rucksack and pannier is the norm. If the ebike is out of use the I take a longer route with a gentler climb.

Drago

Legendary Member
probably because too many people have been sold the idea that the electric car is the answer to future means of transport.

But if you peruse the results of this week's latest yougov survey, where they canvassed people for their opinions of the coming 2030 ICE new car sale ban, you'll see that about 2/3 of people haven't been sold on that idea.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't see it as heated in anyway, I feel as though you are trying to justify to us that you 'need' an illegal ebike (motorcycle) to be able to do your commute, you openly admit you have no experience of an legal ebike (not a motorcycle). What do you think the illegal ebike is going to give you that the legal one won't or are you looking for a bike with a throttle so you don't have to do any work?

I have a legal 250W ebike, a Cube Acid with a Bosch mid drive, for your 12 mile trip you could leave it in Turbo mode both ways your average speed would be 13(ish) miles an hour, so 30 minutes to work. You'd probably have to charge it every other day if you did, or you could go easily the whole week on Eco.

I am really struggling to understand what it is that is so fascinating about the illegal bikes that makes you want to desire one, if you want to use shared paths.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I am really struggling to understand what it is that is so fascinating about the illegal bikes that makes you want to desire one, if you want to use shared paths.
it just because almost all the youvideos I have seen demonstrating bikes have been using non EPAC bikes. they seem to as common or even more common as the leagal type. But i am willing to accept I may have just picked up on the wrong channels.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As for the lazy I think the world is missing a trick here. Why not get the lazy out of their cars and onto ebikes rather than into a Tesla. it will cut down congestion, use less energy ect ect

Nothing stopping the lazy from doing that right now, other than … remember 95% of car journeys are less than 5 miles, perfect distance on a bike, assisted or not.

it just because almost all the youvideos I have seen demonstrating bikes have been using non EPAC bikes. they seem to as common or even more common as the leagal type. But i am willing to accept I may have just picked up on the wrong channels.

I see very few obviously illegal ebikes out on the road. The one I have repeatedly seen is driven by a Muppet with a kid on the top tube and overtaking whilst breaking the speed limit around town. I don't see him as having much future the way he's riding.

I see plenty of normal ebikes topping out at 15mph or so.

As you say - I think you've just fallen on the wrong YouTube channels.

I had a look on YouTube for 'legal (note spelling😁) UK eBike review' but there's so many videos featuring emotorbikes I couldnt find anything useful.

I think if the OP wants one they are best asking for our recommendations, I'll go first lol

My Raleigh Motus Tour is good but I'd probably buy a different bike next time. It's perfectly capable as a on road general prupose bike but on anything rougher than light trails or towpath it would suffer. It's also got some design decisions I don't like such as awkward cable routing. Dont get me wrong it's a very good bike but not quite what I would buy again.

I have grown to like Haibikes, if I was to buy again I'd get a Hardtail MTB and add some commuter friendlier features like smoother (but not slick) tyres, mudguards and a rack.

Top Bottom