Pedalling technique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Just about to go clipless and need to know how I should be pedalling and what technique to practice. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Ravenz

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-4-41-15647-1,00.html

a nice little summary that has a few ideas to carry out on and off the bike

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Ravenz
Thanks for the link. I think that I am going to have to practise for hours to get the hang of this. I did have a go at lunch today and found I was concentrating so hard on angling my foot and the zone 2 drag back that I was not pushing very much on zone 1. Oh and the backs of my legs hurt now so I must be doing it wrong!

jayce

if you get floating cleats your feet will go where they need to naturally . dont think about your feet locked in place . if they are wrong adjust the cleats on your shoes in or out for the best position for you.....

Ravenz

jayce said:
if you get floating cleats your feet will go where they need to naturally . dont think about your feet locked in place . if they are wrong adjust the cleats on your shoes in or out for the best position for you.....

yup to above... and I failed to mention that it can take a 'fair' :tongue: amount of practise to get that pedalling technique . . I use my spinning classes to hone the technique where you are able to fully concentrate without too many distractions!

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
I feel a weekend of riding coming on :smile:

I am just getting over a crash from the other week where I did my hand, elbow and knee. Wonder what I will have damaged by Monday? :tongue:

NickM

Veteran
Just pedal. Not in a stupid-low cadence (experienced cyclists generally pedal at between 80 and 105 rpm). That's all there is to it. There are more important things to worry about, like roadcraft and handling skill.

There is a lot of bollocks written about pedalling, and has been ever since the very early days of cycling. Highly practised cyclists do not pull up on the pedals; they may slightly reduce the load which has to be raised by the pushing leg, but that is all. Ride an ergometer which uses a very expensive strain-guage equipped laboratory power meter, plot the power measured vs. time, and you will see that this is so.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
NickM said:
Just pedal. Not in a stupid-low cadence (experienced cyclists generally pedal at between 80 and 105 rpm). That's all there is to it. There are more important things to worry about, like roadcraft and handling skill.

There is a lot of bollocks written about pedalling, and has been ever since the very early days of cycling. Highly practised cyclists do not pull up on the pedals; they may slightly reduce the load which has to be raised by the pushing leg, but that is all. Ride an ergometer which uses a very expensive strain-guage equipped laboratory power meter, plot the power measured vs. time, and you will see that this is so.

Yep I now agree. I did 50 miles at the weekend and came to the conclusion that just pedalling is the most efficient and least painful technique for me. :ohmy: Oh and I did not forget to unclip once, I know the time will come when I forget and topple over. Reminds me of when I was a lot younger, went to meet the girlfriend (now Wife) from her work on my motorbike. I pulled up all cool, went to put my foot down only for the kick start lever to go up my trouser leg and over I went much to the amusement of all her friends. :biggrin:

kyuss

Veteran
It's a myth that clipless moments are inevitable. I've been riding clipless for over 10 years now and I've yet to go down. A few scary moments but I've never failed to disengage and remained upright. Now that I've mentioned it though it's bound to happen (like the time I came on here boasting about how I'd never broken a spoke and within the week I'd broken 2:blush:)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
NickM said:

+1

Riding fixed is something that's worth doing though. It's a good excuse for an extra bike too.

jimboalee

NickM said:
Just pedal. Not in a stupid-low cadence (experienced cyclists generally pedal at between 80 and 105 rpm). That's all there is to it.

Have to dissagree. Experienced cyclists pedal at between 65 and 75 cadence.
'Spinning' is done by those with undeveloped muscles who can't muster the torque.
Some pros spin, but generally uphill.
Most pros, when in a group will give a few powerful 70 rpm pedals, then coast for a while and let the speed drop to the rest of the group, that's if there's some distance between riders. When the guy ahead does this, its your cue to do the same.
This can be fun and the time passes quicker "in the train".

Sorry Nick M, Pros DO power the entire rev. Leading into the final 10 km of a flat stage, the lead-out riders are doing upwards of 35 mph. They are generating over 750 Watts, even in the tuck. Do you think this is produced with ONLY down strokes?
Also, up the mountain climbs, sat down, they pull all the way round.

NickM

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Have to dissagree.
I knew somebody would :angry:

jimboalee said:
...Experienced cyclists pedal at between 65 and 75 cadence.
'Spinning' is done by those with undeveloped muscles who can't muster the torque.
The exercise physiology literature disagrees with you. There are many, many studies of cadence in experienced cyclists and non-cyclists.

jimboalee said:
...Sorry Nick M, Pros DO power the entire rev. Leading into the final 10 km of a flat stage, the lead-out riders are doing upwards of 35 mph. They are generating over 750 Watts, even in the tuck. Do you think this is produced with ONLY down strokes?
Momentary power output has very little if anything to do with "pedalling technique". Ever heard of the Wingate test? Big, healthy young male non-cyclists can produce close to 1000 Watts for a few seconds even if they haven't ridden a bike since childhood.

jimboalee said:
Also, up the mountain climbs, sat down, they pull all the way round.
I used to work in an exercise physiology research lab and, having run the tests myself, know that it is not so. Power vs time produces a sinusoidal plot. Riding fixed makes you pedal with constant angular velocity and might (I suppose) flatten that plot a little, but that's all it will do.

Top Bottom