Pedals and shoes for duff knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
evening all,

I'm looking to replace my Road pedals and shoes after a successful test of clipping in.
I've got planet-x shoes and Time Racer pedals now and got this setup after reading about Time pedals having float which helps people with bad knees.
I have no anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee from an old basketball injury and took up cycling to strengthen my legs and stop knee dislocations, and I'm pleased to say I don't remember dislocating in the last 6 months.

So, that's the background, thanks for bearing with me so far.

I'm now looking for stiffer (or do I mean n+1) shoes and updated pedals because the Racer are no longer available.
I'm reading up in Speedplay pedals but I THINK I've read they have a 4 bolt securing mechanism and I'm confused how this works with all the shoes I've seen which have 2 bolt (e.g. SPD) or 3 bolt (e.g. SPD SL)

Im worried about the cleat attachment because I have wedge spacers under my cleats after a bike fit. Sorry about the crap description there, I'm sure there is a technical term for the wedges and what they correct but I don't know either.

Would anyone using speedplay advise on their reason for selecting speedplay and the shoes you have and how the cleats attach.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

S-Express

You can get three-bolt shoes to work with speedplay cleats through the use of an adaptor plate. Using wedge spacers might negate this, or alternatively you may end up with an un-workable amount of stack.

Time Xen, RXS or the newer models also offer similar amounts of float.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Speedplays cleats are fine with 3 hole shoes. There is a thin adapter plate but it maybe adds about around 5mm to stack. Speedplays have quite a low stack height to begin with, so I'd be surprised if this became a problem. 2 hole Mtn bike style SPDs won't work though.

Speedplays are sold on the promise happy knees due to large and free float, but I've no idea how much evidence there is for easing knackered knees. People new to speedplays sometimes find the free float feeling a little disconcerting and there's a knack of clipping in, but once you've got it the action is very consistent and the ability to clip in either side makes life a bit easier. I honestly don't think about it now.

The biggest downside to speedplays is the price. The pedals aren't cheap and replacement cleats are eye watering. Clear covers are essential otherwise you'll reduce the lifetime considerably and end up using an angle-grinder to remove them (been there). Walking, even with cleat covers, is for emergencies and cafe stops only. The only other downside I can think of is that, if you dab a cleat in some muck, it can make clipping back in difficult. Worse, if you do clip in and the mud hardens, it effectively locks you into the pedal. This is the only time they've caused clipless moments for me.

NeilM

Pretty much this ^^^^^^^

I have a weak left knee, a leftover from a motorcycle crash and subsequent surgery, so I use Speedplay on my road bikes a Time pedals on my mtbs.

Two things to add. A number of shoe manufacturers are now offering Speedplay compatible shoes, I have some Lake's, both my kids wear Bont's and there are others. Plus, the amount of float can be adjusted on some Speedplay models. Last, s/h is always an option, as the pedals can be completely rebuilt using pretty cheap kits of bearings. I have many pairs of Speedplay's (N+1 and all that) and I think I only bought one set new.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
oooh - @NeilM's post reminded me of something else you need to consider. The pedals ARE NOT maintenance free. Depending on your mileage, the bearings need to be regreased maybe once or twice a year. It's easy enough, but the grease port is covered by a small grub screw that can get a bit mangled, which can then make regreasing more difficult on older pedals, Forget to regrease though and there's a danger that your pedal may seize and unscrew, leaving you doing a one-legged pedalling drill from, say, Hannington to Basingstoke. :blush:

No need to buy speedplay's branded grease gun though; any needle-type gun will work. There's also something satisfying about squeezing the old grease out.

I second everything @Bollo and @NeilM have said above. There is some variance across the different pedals in Speedplay's range. I use Light Action, recommended by my bike fitter who had consulted with my physio after my knee surgery. I don't think these are the most popular pedals in their range though.

I have the "Aero" version with the clip-on rubber covers with a centre cut out so you just fit-n-forget. Much smaller platform with these than with traditional Speedplay cleats and the big coffee covers, which means easier to walk in (less stack and hence less drop for the heel and resulting calf strain) and absolutely no fuss finding/fear of losing the covers. An absolute God-send for negotiating ferry gangways.

My own experience - no problems clipping in or out. Remember the mechanism is in the sole of your shoe so you've got to keep them clean. The pedals do need regular regreasing. Any needle-type gun will do. Use a different coloured grease each time so you can clearly see when the old has completely fed through when you re-grease.

Expensive, yes. But for me, that 15 degrees of non-centred free float is worth every penny. My personal proviso though is that I need that float due to biomechanics. Many people with knee pain still have fairly straight tracking so in all reality may not need that much float.

ETA: I did try the Speedplay-specific Lake shoes but the sizing wasn't right. I've been using Speedplay Light Action and Light Action Aero pedals & cleats since July 2013 across 3 different models of Shimano shoes and 1 pair of Northwave boots.

Last edited:

NeilM

Cycle shoe sizes in general are all over the place, it drives me nuts. I like Fizik shoes and have several pairs in my usual size 42, my Lakes are bigger, and I have several other different brands and all differ from one another... I have no idea why.

As for greasing Speedplays; once the tiny screw is removed and the grease gun is inserted into the little countersunk hole, be aware that a tiny, high pressure jet of grease can escape from between the little black plastic cover and the main body of the pedal. You can obviously guess how I know this.

Keep on Kovers are what you want. I have bought mine direct from the US a few times but there are also UK suppliers on the fleabay.

MissyR

evening all,

I'm looking to replace my Road pedals and shoes after a successful test of clipping in.
I've got planet-x shoes and Time Racer pedals now and got this setup after reading about Time pedals having float which helps people with bad knees.
I have no anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee from an old basketball injury and took up cycling to strengthen my legs and stop knee dislocations, and I'm pleased to say I don't remember dislocating in the last 6 months.

So, that's the background, thanks for bearing with me so far.

I'm now looking for stiffer (or do I mean n+1) shoes and updated pedals because the Racer are no longer available.
I'm reading up in Speedplay pedals but I THINK I've read they have a 4 bolt securing mechanism and I'm confused how this works with all the shoes I've seen which have 2 bolt (e.g. SPD) or 3 bolt (e.g. SPD SL)

Im worried about the cleat attachment because I have wedge spacers under my cleats after a bike fit. Sorry about the crap description there, I'm sure there is a technical term for the wedges and what they correct but I don't know either.

Would anyone using speedplay advise on their reason for selecting speedplay and the shoes you have and how the cleats attach.

I will get my partner to reply later when she is home. she also has the same knee problems (waiting to get older for 2 new ones) but she has also had a hip replacement just to mix it up a bit! She wears speedplays and has had shims made etc. She can advise better than me and she will probably stick a pic or two up to let you see her shoes and setup.

boydj

Legendary Member
You could think about using MTB shoes and Speedplay Frogs. For somebody with knackered knees these could be good as there are no springs involved - slide in and out - and they have plenty of float. I have them on 3 bikes and I don't walk like a duck when I go into the cafe on the club ride. The Frogs, like all Speedplays, require regular greasing. Apart from that, they are small light and secure with a low stack height.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
The more I read about speedplay the more I think I'm making life difficult going down this route.
Expensive shoes apart there is the small matter of the shims which I've got spares of and they are distinctly 3 bolt fixing.
Since S-express mentioned the Time alternatives I've been exploring them.
My Time Racer are RXS by all account with Iclic fittings and I haven't had issues with them which haven't been sorted out with a quick clean and rubbing round with a file.
The new Xpresso look a good possible alternative.

Here is a turn up for the books too. I tried on a pair of Spesh S-works 6 shoes today and they fit like a glove. Way above what I was planning to spend on shoes but it's put yet another spin on my thoughts now.

Top Bottom