Pedals are stuck...Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I stil cant remove the pedals from my cranks on my galaxy. They are STUCK.

I have a pedal spanner, I am aware of the reverse thread thing on the left pedal. I have tried standing on the spanner...all to no avail. Is there a secret?:wacko:

Joe

Über Member
You need more leverage!
A pipe over the pedal wrench handle will do it.
Triple check you're going the right way before though!

A sharp tap on the spanner with a big hammer, making sure the spanner is well held on, that is my favoured technique.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I have tried bashing it with a steel mallet! ..still it refuses to budge. I think i may have to take it back to the bloke who sold and fitted the pedals for me.

Oh, stop faffin' and go and get some pedals then. If you order a pair off e-bay now, they should be here tomorrow. Then you can stop messin' with your Galaxy and take your time in final pedal selection for the Bianchi.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have tried bashing it with a steel mallet! ..still it refuses to budge. I think i may have to take it back to the bloke who sold and fitted the pedals (without greasing the threads) for me.

Get some one or something to hold the bike, crank pointing to the front hub, spanner pointing to the rear hub, pedal in one hand and spanner in the other with the crank and spanner parallel. Ensuring that if there is any movement you wont catch any body parts.

Take a deep breath.

Exhale and push.

e-rider

crappy member
You really need to grease pedals well before installing them! Too late now. What I find works well is; get a mate to help, find a longish spanner but something that will not flex too much, so perhaps just a normal pedal wrench, get a large heavy wooden mallet with a large head. Angle the spanner so that you can take a good hard hit from above, get your mate to hold the bike (don't put it in a stand as it will all move too much). You should be able to apply so much force with a decent strike that you can rip the ceased thread out, but hopefully it will come undone!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes indeed - big hammers! You've reminded me I'm going to be having to remove a freewheel at the weekend. Joy. Why can't someone invent something that just sort of slots on...

mickle said:
Get some one or something to hold the bike, crank pointing to the front hub, spanner pointing to the rear hub, pedal in one hand and spanner in the other with the crank and spanner parallel. Ensuring that if there is any movement you wont catch any body parts.
Take a deep breath.

Exhale and push.

Or failing that, have a good look at your knuckles beforehand so you can remember how they looked before the accident.;) My hands are cobvered in scars gathered over the years by catching my knuckles on chainrings, etc, while removing pedals.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Result!

10+ heavy hits with a steel mallet and then I stood on the spanner and it eased up a touch...added some wd40 and repeated...now I'm free!;)

Have you noticed how all these problems you're having are melting away and everythings coming together...........put summat on the lottery quick.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...mostly they are working as a result of asking dumb questions:rolleyes: and getting good answers:becool:.

...got any ideas on my seatpost thread:wacko:?

Top Bottom