Pedals banging against frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gouldina

Started recently. Tightened them up which seemed to fix the problem for a while but it happened again this morning. I did them up again and tried to angle them away from the frame a bit but by the time I got to work, it had started again. Have I got a problem with the bottom bracket here? It's a fairly new bike (Jan) but there seems to be a little bit of play down there. How much is acceptable?

Edit: it's only one pedal actually - the left one.

tyred

Legendary Member
Sort this ASAP as you risk damaging the frame.

There should be no play in the BB and it should spin freely. As the bike's pretty new, I would take it back to the shop.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

tyred said:
Sort this ASAP as you risk damaging the frame.

There should be no play in the BB and it should spin freely. As the bike's pretty new, I would take it back to the shop.

It does spin freely. I'm wondering if the problem is the BB or the crank though. I guess I'd better get it looked at as you say.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Not quite sure what you mean when you say you tried to angle the pedal away from the frame, the crank should be at only one angles, at 90deg to the bottom bracket. If the pedal (when you say pedal, do you actually mean crank, the crank must hit the frame before the pedal does) is hitting the frame, then either the right hand crank is coming lose on the bottom bracket spindle, or the crank is too close to start with, this is unlikely if it worked okay originally, my concern would be that the right hand crank is coming lose, you tighten it up and it's okay for a while, then it comes lose again, this could be because the inside of crank where it locates on the spindle is worn, this could be because it has been ridden with the crank lose. I hope this makes some sense.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

GilesM said:
Not quite sure what you mean when you say you tried to angle the pedal away from the frame, the crank should be at only one angles, at 90deg to the bottom bracket. If the pedal (when you say pedal, do you actually mean crank, the crank must hit the frame before the pedal does) is hitting the frame, then either the right hand crank is coming lose on the bottom bracket spindle, or the crank is too close to start with, this is unlikely if it worked okay originally, my concern would be that the right hand crank is coming lose, you tighten it up and it's okay for a while, then it comes lose again, this could be because the inside of crank where it locates on the spindle is worn, this could be because it has been ridden with the crank lose. I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I mean crank. I tried tightening up the crank with an Allen key but it was pretty bloody tight already - in fact, I couldn't move it.

GilesM

Legendary Member
gouldina said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I mean crank. I tried tightening up the crank with an Allen key but it was pretty bloody tight already - in fact, I couldn't move it.

Is the crank bent?

Where does it hit the frame?

Is there alot of play in the Bottom bracket?

Davidc

Guru
On a bike which was new in January I'd leave it alone and take or send the bike to the seller, uttering the words "Fix it, replace it or refund it NOW".

What you're describing should never happen.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
On a bike which was new in January I'd leave it alone and take or send the bike to the seller, uttering the words "Fix it, replace it or refund it NOW".

What you're describing should never happen.

I agree, this should definately be fixed by the seller, unless it is due to a bent crank as a result of an accident.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

OK found the problem. Have taken it to the LBS rather than the original seller which is 150 miles away. Turns out that the screw/bolt/plug thing (yes I don't know the word) that screws the crank against the bottom bracket was cross-threaded and consequently although it felt tight when trying to do it up, it wasn't at all and the spindle could move back and forth. Needs a new screw/bolt/plug thing which should only cost a few quid so I'm happy. Although I'd be happier if I had a working bike.

Thanks for all your help.

Edit: And a big thumbs up for London Fields Cycles who've once again provided me with loads of information and good service. Recommended based on the three or four visits I've paid there. They've always been great.

02GF74

Über Member
a crank bolt yesterday.
Allen-Key-Crank-Bolts.png

check thatthe thread inside the bottom bracket is not knackered.

both of these should be hardened steel so I am surprised the bolt thread has been damaged - must take some pretty hamfited effort to do.

Did the bike cost around £ 200 per chance?

OP
OP
G

gouldina

02GF74 said:
a crank bolt yesterday.
Allen-Key-Crank-Bolts.png

check thatthe thread inside the bottom bracket is not knackered.

both of these should be hardened steel so I am surprised the bolt thread has been damaged - must take some pretty hamfited effort to do.

Did the bike cost around £ 200 per chance?

Ha ha! No I got it massively reduced to £400 but it retails normally for £900/1000 - Shimano 105 kit, scandium frame etc. The BB and crankset though are FSA and I'm just reading the other thread on that - hmmm.
The bolt seemed not to be particularly hard at all which in some ways I guess is good as it probably hasn't damaged the thread in the BB.

Top Bottom