pedals/shoes dilemma - what to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

sorry for the length of this post - ... medal to anyone who gets to the end of it!

It's not that I can't solve this myself, but at the moment I haven't decided upon a solution that's ideal. I can see a number of solutions that are less than ideal, but it's just a matter of deciding which is the most ideal, so therefore I'd be glad to hear of recomemndations. I'll probably end up arguing with some recommendations, but then again that doesn't mean I won't listen to them and take on board the advice anyway. If someone could design me an all-encompassing strategy that I haven't thought of before, that would be great, no matter how hare-braned it is.

So the situation: I have got two bikes. Two pairs of shoes. And four (soon to be 5) sets of pedals.

The pedals I have got are: DMR V12s, Shimano PD-M424s, Shimano PD-M540s, and eggbeaters.

Bikes I have got are: road bike, which I want to end up with clipless pedals on. Only criteria, not unnecessarily heavy/bulky (thus ruling out the PD-M424s).
MTB: like clipless (have done for a while, hence the redundancy of the V12s), but DON'T like them getting clogged up with mud (thus ruling out the PD-M424s). I haven't tried them yet, but I am probably going to want to end up with the Time Atacs on the MTB, as they look the best for what I want out of an MTB pedal.

Shoes: some specialized BG sonoma (MTB shoes), about a year old, really like them apart from the fact they're not particularly winter-friendly, and one of the metal plates which the cleat bolts screw into is buggered.
Also got some northwave celsius GTXs, again MTB cleat compatible, they are fantastic. Got them mainly for road riding, haven't had wet or cold feet yet, and like the rigid sole. So good I've used them for winter MTB rides aswell, and I appreciate them for that aswell, even if the rigid sole isn't quite as good for MTBing as a semi-rigid.

The dilemma: What pedals to have on what bike, basically, and thus what cleats to have on what shoes....
I have sacked the PD-M424s as they disgraced themselves on the absolute quagmire of cack that is mam tor, and they are no better for the road bike than the M520s but are heavier.
So I got the egg-beaters (for the MTB) because I liked the look of the mud shedding design (with the vague intention to get another set for the roadie), but trying them out in the hall they don't feel quite as easy to clip in to as I'd like, and there's a bit too much float for my liking for MTBing. So i've ordered some time atacs for the MTB and have high hopes for them, as they look like just what I want out of a MTB pedal.*

With me so far? :girl:

I thought of sending the egg -beaters back, as they are still unused, but I thought i could use them on the road bike. But then what shoes would I use...

I could feasibly keep the crank bros cleats on the northwaves for the roadie, and the time cleats on the spesh's for the mtb, that would be ok till next winter when I'd want something good with cold and wet for the MTB, but still got the dilemma of the fooked cleat bolt plates in the spesh's, and the northwaves a bit hot and bulky in the summer.

The other option I thought of was to get some new road pedals and road shoes, that'd be great for the road bike, and would free up the northwaves for use on the MTB, quite a lot of small problems with that as opposed to any major big ones: would probably need some specific winter road shoes come next winter (but that's months off), still wouldn't have any non-rigid summer MTB shoes (unless i got some new cleat bolt plates of spesh?), the slight problem of the fact I don't agree with road shoes/pedals, but the other one is the expense - can afford it, but am just quite proud of having had a whole two months without spending much at all on bike gear, and was trying to keep it up....

Aarrrgh! what to do...

* I should have learned by my foray into using spesh armadillo tyres that when something annoys me, not to get the product that's the absolute best at solving that problem, but to get one that's quite good at it but with other qualities aswell.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
i got to.... "It's not that I can't solve this myself...."

Glad you posted.

thanks for your contribution

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well what a bastion of excellent cycling knowledge we all are. Not. Is this called 'cycle' chat for any particular reason, or was that just a name plucked out the air?

bianco

I'd go for some road specific shoes and pedals for the road bike - ribble have some r540's for £19.?? The SPD-SL is fnatastic because they have rubber grips on the cleats to walk in.

For mtb I'd stike to your existing mtb shoes and use some overshoes fo r colder months.

EDIT: Sorry - don't bother with overshoes on the mtb, use the northwaves

Landslide

Rare Migrant
bonj said:
well what a bastion of excellent cycling knowledge we all are. Not. Is this called 'cycle' chat for any particular reason, or was that just a name plucked out the air?

Sheesh! It took me most of today to read your OP! :biggrin:

bonj said:
...but still got the dilemma of the fooked cleat bolt plates in the spesh's, and the northwaves a bit hot and bulky in the summer.

So, sounds like you need (at least) one pair of new shoes anyway.

Were you to get some road shoes, then they'd probably do you all year round in conjunction with overshoes for the winter.

However, this then leaves you with the problem of MTB shoes as the Northwaves may be too hot in the summer.

So, how about a new pair of MTB shoes and another set of PD-M540s to go on the road bike? You end up with identical pedals on both bikes so can use either set of shoes depending on the weather etc.

Depends on what kind of riding you're likely to do on the road, but (FWIW) I get on fine with MTB pedals and shoes on the road as I do audaxes/pottering about the Peak, rather than racing.

GruB

Speedplay Zero - can't beat them. Easy to get your cleats just right in my experience. Started off with SPD's - didn't like the small platform.
Changed to Look - okay until I wore the cleat out and then I couldn't ever get it back the way I liked it.
Changed to Speedplay and have them on both bikes.
Only regret - I didn't splurge on the titanium ones for the TCR

gavintc

Guru
I would recommend a road cleat system for your road bike. I have used SPD SL and more recently Look Keo. I prefer the Look system as the cleat covers make the shoe much more usable to walk in. I must walk about 800m a day in my cleat covers, around the station concourse, up and down the tenement stair and from the bike park. The cleat is completely protected.

GruB

I walk about 400m in my cleats each day and use cafe covers for them also.

wafflycat

GruB said:
Speedplay Zero - can't beat them. Easy to get your cleats just right in my experience.

The offspring has variously used spds, spd-sl, Look and Speedplay Zero. He prefers the Speedplay Zero best of all.

Personally, I like Look and am happy with them.

domtyler

Über Member
Just wake up, be a man and buy some road pedals and shoes for your road bike. When you are using road cycling as either a serious means of transport and/or sport/hobby then it just doesn't make sense to stick with a mtb system as you have so pig-headedly been doing.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

domtyler said:
Just wake up, be a man and buy some road pedals and shoes for your road bike. When you are using road cycling as either a serious means of transport and/or sport/hobby then it just doesn't make sense to stick with a mtb system as you have so pig-headedly been doing.

But what's the main advantage of them? And don't say power, 'cos I know that that isn't true. You see, as yet I remain unconvinced, but I am prepared to BE convinced.

Hokay. I don't mtb (I have a mud allergy) but I do have a mtb (slicked up commuter/load hauler). I also have two road bikes.

I use Crank Bros pedals on all of them. Unless you are very precise about which bike you use and when, oh and can afford a different pedal/shoe system, then I would very seriously stick with one system. It makes life so much easier. Eggies for the roadie and perhaps Candys for the mtb. I believe that the Candys have different degrees of float and are designed for mtbing, so no worries there.

I'll stick my neck out and say that unless you are particularly keen and timetrial/race (or are precious about how you look) then leisure shoes like the Sonomas will be perfectly adequate on the road bike. Road shoes will gain you maybe 5%-10% but your CTX shoes will give you that already (although they'll be a bit warm in summer).

bonj said:
But what's the main advantage of them? And don't say power, 'cos I know that that isn't true. You see, as yet I remain unconvinced, but I am prepared to BE convinced.
That is the main advantage. How can a flexible sole be as efficient in transferring power than a rigid sole? HOWEVER, as I said above, it's not really worth fussing over unless you absolutely need that extra 5%-10%.

Top Bottom