pedals/shoes dilemma - what to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
point is though Danny, there seems to be quite a wide range of shoes available, e.g. wider than the range of pedals. I'm sure if you hunted around and were prepared to pay a bit more, you could get some for wider feet.

I'm sure I could (though I do have ultra wide feet :rolleyes:) and some advice was given on this in a separate thread a few weeks ago. But as I am personally not that bothered about achieving maximum pedalling efficiency, and life is too short to be endlessly hunting for shoes, I was happy to stick with my current arrangement.

Maybe I'll look around around again when my current pair wear out.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
however I do agree with your scepticism of 10% claims tbh, I too am sceptical of any definite quantitative claims as there are so many other variables.
But if it IS 10%, then on the journey to work that's 10 minutes.

Your commute is 1hr and 40 minutes each way? I'm impressed.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Abitrary said:
This is the problem with clipless pedals; it's just too much to think about.

Use straps and clips on the road bike, they feel better. Do what you need to do with the MTB.
No, never! they're dangerous. I've never understood how having to reach down and undo a strap whenever you need to stop can possibly be safe.
You don't mean to tell me you've got those old skool black pedals with a round metal bar down the middle have you?!;):ohmy:

Abitrary said:
Remember, the double bike / pedal matrix has blown the minds of many good men.

But Abitrary, it is only going to confuse you if you harbour the notion that you will some day need to take part in some weird bicycle relay which involves you hopping off your road bike and onto your MTB, without having your shoes ready to change.
There is an argument that you might wrestle with the question of 'is it worth having two separate pairs of shoes just so you can have different pedals on each bike', but having been cycling for quite a while I can see the merit in having rigid sole on a road bike, and it feels better to have non-rigid soles on my MTB, so there's not just one way to slice the cake.

Dannyg said:
Your commute is 1hr and 40 minutes each way? I'm impressed.

When I cycle, yes, although haven't been cycling this last couple of weeks as have been playing squash almost every night - I'm in the bottom league in one of the leagues I'm in so need to make sure I win and go up :blush: getting quite good at it actually and enjoying it.
The ideal is to play squash tuesday and thursday, and cycle mon wed and fri. But that isn't always possible for a variety of reasons.
'tis bang on the hour to drive, which is still over half the time to cycle. If I was to get the bus, it takes an hour and forty minutes actually travelling but that doesn't include time waiting for the bus and walking to the stop, so that's a no no!

bonj said:
So the reasoning behind your theory that "mtb pedals are more comfortable" stems from the fact that you tried some, and the road shoes were uncomfortable. Well I'm sorry but I don't think that's a very impartial test at all.

I don't think having road shoes and road pedals for commuting is going to cause me any significant problems, and it might give advantages which are significant enough for me to like, so I'm going to give it a try. I don't know what road shoes I want to get yet but don't want to spend a lot, I might have a look in decathlon, don't normally rate them but don't really see how they can go far wrong with shoes, as long as I can try them on and they're comfy.
FWIW the rest of the solution involves:
put the time atacs on the MTB and try and flog the PDM424s, M520s and probably also the V12s on ebay. I've contacted specialized to try and get a replacement cleat bolt plate and had an email back from them saying they don't keep them but he would 'keep an eye out' for one for me. If one doesn't come in a few weeks then I'll go to a metalwork fabricators with the other one and ask them to replicate it. Can't be hard, probably won't cost more than a fiver.
I thought road bike shoes were supposed to be more comfortable over a longer distance especially in the summer; mine seem so but I'm no expert.
PS I bought some cleats (spd) for my Lidl shoes (mtn) the other day from a lbs , they came also with the cleat plate/ cleat nut. The cleats and nuts cost me £9.95.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

HLaB said:
I thought road bike shoes were supposed to be more comfortable over a longer distance especially in the summer; mine seem so but I'm no expert.
PS I bought some cleats (spd) for my Lidl shoes (mtn) the other day from a lbs , they came also with the cleat plate/ cleat nut. The cleats and nuts cost me £9.95.

yes, thanks for that. I emailed CRC who replied saying that if I bought shimano cleats they would come with a sole plate.
However I'm thinking it might be cheaper to have one fabricated (not that I'm a cheapskate or anything).
I wonder if time cleats come with a sole plate as I actually do want another pair of time cleats?

For me it is all about Time RXS for the roadbike, and CF soled road specific shoes from Spesh (as I have wide feet and they have a roomy toebox).

It is one of those things in cycling that you cannot understand why people harp on about it unless you ride it - road pedals are just simply better for riding on road.

On my mtb I want a shoe that I can walk about in a bit, but most importantly, one that will disengage quickly and easily if I wipeout as it is much much more likely to happen than on the road.

On my roadie I want pedals that are totally secure, I don't want to accidentally disengage at 45mph on a descent, or when honking out of the saddle to climb a hard rise. I want a pedal that spreads the pedalling load so I don't get hot foot, and one that is comfortable to hold my foot at precisely how I want it held for 4,5,6, 7 hours straight.

A roadbike is a precision tool to do a specific job - equip it to do that job properly.

Also, similar to domtyler, commuting in road pedals is no harder than spd's and I actually feel safer as I know in the sprint away from the lights, both my feet will remain attached to the bike.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well, first verdict on them - rode to work and back with them today. They are much trickier to clip into, however they ARE comfier definitely, which is noticeable when riding out of the saddle a lot. Almost too good, I stood up too much and averaged about eighteen to and through chesterfield and knackered myself out and had to stop at sainsbury's to neck a chicken sarnie and a pair of yorkies.

While the right pedal normally rotates round so that when it is at the top, the front of the pedal is pointing either forwards or up or in between, I did have a few 'mis-clips' - and I am having to look down, but I think I am getting better with practice, hopefully I'll be able to do it 99% of the time without looking soon. I guess it's just a case of 'stroking' over the top of it from the back and only putting pressure when I'm sure it's the right way up and my cleat's in the right position. However despite the trickiness to clip in I'm going to stick with them, 'cos i like the postiive engagement with its loud click, the shoes are nice, and most importantly they are comfier.

Danny

Legendary Member
So do you now think you are going to cut your commute by 10 mins each way?

Top Bottom