Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
After some advice,

Currently got some speedplay pedals that came with a 2nd hand bike. Previous bike I had spd sl pedals. Are speedplay an upgrade on the spd pedals? Only because I dont feel as connected to the bike with speedplay, so thinking of selling them.and buy the spd sl.

If so which do you reccomend?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Speedplay give more float as I understand it. I have a new set to fit once my ancient Time cleats finally die. Time give more than usual float as well. I have fewer knee issues with Time than I did Look and I'm hoping that is a pattern that will continue with Speedplay.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Speedplay give more float as I understand it. I have a new set to fit once my ancient Time cleats finally die. Time give more than usual float as well. I have fewer knee issues with Time than I did Look and I'm hoping that is a pattern that will continue with Speedplay.

Oh ok that's interesting. I will get myself a bike fit with these speedplay and then see how it goes.

Oh ok that's interesting. I will get myself a bike fit with these speedplay and then see how it goes.
Speed play are ‘arse about face’ in terms of binding. The big bit goes on the shoe, and the little bit goes on the pedal axle. It’s a very good way of doing it, but they are pricey-er than more standard SPD-SL set ups ( generally).

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Speed play are ‘arse about face’ in terms of binding. The big bit goes on the shoe, and the little bit goes on the pedal axle. It’s a very good way of doing it, but they are pricey-er than more standard SPD-SL set ups ( generally).

I've bought a bike recently and it came with 2 sets of speed plays.

Speedplay zero.
Speedplay light action.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
The light actions are better, IMO.

Ok great. I will have to have a read up on them to see the differences between them.

If you find that you don’t get on with the Speedplay, drop me a line, old time cleats, and inassume you mean the 4 point 2 piece ones, appear from time to time (!) on local auction sites and I will keep an eye open.

Top Bottom