Pedestrian looking at phone hit by cyclist gets compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although apparently, instead of braking, he sounded his airhorn, which panicked her (unsurprisingly). Imagine if a driver had continued driving & sounding the horn; you'd probably condemn that as aggressive.
I'm not sure a "I say, do you mind awfully..." is liable to do the trick in the circumstances.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Reading all the blurb I can find. The cyclist turned out to be a bigger prat than the pedestrian.

I am not saying he got what he deserved, he didnt. They should both walked away with a reprimand and no cash.

It does highlight the need to be adequately insured if you ride a bike and thats the only positive thing I can find. Hopefully both cyclist and pedestrian have learnt something.

As an add on. Air horns such as Airzound are not fitted to warn people of your presence. They are there to frighten the crap out of people. I had one on my ICE trike to warn cars of my prescence as I was low down sharing the road with them. I would not use one on a bike amongst pedestrians though. It is total overkill.

classic33

Leg End Member
Reading all the blurb I can find. The cyclist turned out to be a bigger prat than the pedestrian.

I am not saying he got what he deserved, he didnt. They should both walked away with a reprimand and no cash.

It does highlight the need to be adequately insured if you ride a bike and thats the only positive thing I can find. Hopefully both cyclist and pedestrian have learnt something.

As an add on. Air horns such as Airzound are not fitted to warn people of your presence. They are there to frighten the crap out of people. I had one on my ICE trike to warn cars of my prescence as I was low down sharing the road with them. I would not use one on a bike amongst pedestrians though. It is total overkill.
Possibly at the time of the collision, afterwards I'd say she was the bigger idiot.

In the process of starting up a company, whilst delivering trail yoga classes at £300+ per person in her spare time. Then getting all traces of the spare time activity removed from anywhere it appeared, even the site on which it was offered.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Its a complete travesty that the cyclist can be found 50% responsible and have to pay compo, makes me wonder if the judge had a prejudice against cyclists.
Its also put out a great message to zombies..... Carry on in your self absorbed little world, the rest of us will just have to be responsible for your safety.

As a fellow biker, we've been doing that for decades..
Maybe a long spike bolted to the yoke will be a fair modification :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
By not causing panic with aggressive use of an airhorn; by riding sensibly in a congested area with pedestrians, who are predictably unpredictable (like a lot of cyclists).
When I look back at near misses I've had personally, near misses I've complained about in this forum feeling the avgrieved and been taken to task for because another persons eyes on the situation will see things differently...I've often changed my mind and accepted I was partly to blame, I failed to modify my course, failed to expect the unexpected etc etc...I concede its hard to look at yourself and criticise yourself but it sometimes needs doing, it makes you a safer,better cyclist.
TBF I feel for the cyclist, it's a no win situation but sounding an airhorn is more likely to cause an accident by distraction than simply slowing down (to a stop if neccessary) to allow the zombie pedestrian to go about their zombie way. That's what he should have done. 15 mph is still a fair lick considering he was approaching people still on the road, whether they had right of way or not.
Itd be interesting to see any footage of the actual incident, which of course we never will so we can only imagine the scenario. 50/50, I'd accept my part, then try to counterclaim.

classic33

Leg End Member
When the claim for £100,000 went in, she was in the process of setting a company up. As well as running the "trail yoga camps".

How far would that £100,000 have helped in setting her new company up?

We don't know if the cyclist could have safely slowed down, how close was following traffic? Would a motorist have had a similar claim for damages filed against them, in similar circumstances.

Top Bottom