Pedestrian question time.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

Why do you (often) stop and wait for a car/van/truck/bus to pass before crossing the road, but (often) don't when a bike is hutling along. My 15 stone at 15 mph represents a huge amount of kinetic energy: if I ran into you, we'd both know about it! ;)

bonj2

Why do you constantly feel the need to push buggies two abreast on a narrow shopping street so no-one can get past?
Why when on a path and a cyclist is coming towards you do you stand frozen in the middle of the path, dodging left and right unable to decide which way to move in order to make way and then become so flustered and indecisive that you just stand there while the cyclist has to almost stop to get round you?
Why do you constantly push pushchairs into people expecting them to get out of the way?
Why when on a pelican crossing and YOUR light is on green and a cyclist pulls up and hovers do you hesitate as if expecting the cyclist to go straight on through, but when the lights for the traffic have just gone amber and a cyclist is batting along at a good pace do you then decide to step out into the road?

In fact all the questions could be summed up by "Why don't you just get out the sodding way?!"

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
JamesAC said:
Why do you (often) stop and wait for a car/van/truck/bus to pass before crossing the road, but (often) don't when a bike is hutling along. My 15 stone at 15 mph represents a huge amount of kinetic energy: if I ran into you, we'd both know about it! ;)

'cause its just a bike and therefore travelling quite slowly.

Also, we have a policy not to give way to anyone who thinks its acceptable to travel the streets wearing spandex

;)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
bonj said:
Why do you constantly feel the need to push buggies two abreast on a narrow shopping street so no-one can get past?
Why when on a path and a cyclist is coming towards you do you stand frozen in the middle of the path, dodging left and right unable to decide which way to move in order to make way and then become so flustered and indecisive that you just stand there while the cyclist has to almost stop to get round you?
Why do you constantly push pushchairs into people expecting them to get out of the way?
Why when on a pelican crossing and YOUR light is on green and a cyclist pulls up and hovers do you hesitate as if expecting the cyclist to go straight on through, but when the lights for the traffic have just gone amber and a cyclist is batting along at a good pace do you then decide to step out into the road?

In fact all the questions could be summed up by "Why don't you just get out the sodding way?!"

See point 2 above

;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Why do you (not you, Panter, of course) and your fat friend walk straight out of the shop without looking, veer in front of me without noticing, then proceed to walk at 0.2 mph, blocking the pavement completely on your way to the doughnut shop, as I'm trying to hurry to the bus station, eh? eh? and get a job, while you're at it! and those tracky bottoms just don't go with your general image of sloth and sugar-fuelled bleaurgh-ness. ;)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fnaar said:
Why do you (not you, Panter, of course) and your fat friend walk straight out of the shop without looking, veer in front of me without noticing, then proceed to walk at 0.2 mph, blocking the pavement completely on your way to the doughnut shop, as I'm trying to hurry to the bus station, eh? eh? and get a job, while you're at it! and those tracky bottoms just don't go with your general image of sloth and sugar-fuelled bleaurgh-ness. ;)

because we are going about far more important business of course !!

These giro's don't cash themselves you know...........

and get a job while you're at it
Hah, no need :smile: we get some of your cash out of your tax instead ;)

Oh, and don't miss that bus, we need our puff money, innit

ChrisKH

Guru
Why in the City of London, do pedestrian's freely cross on a red man, some with their head down not even looking and then looked surprised and curse when I have to brake heavily and swerve round you? The light's green for me goddammit!

Cab

If you're walking in a group right down the middle of a road, and you hear a cycle bell, why would you assume that there is no reason it applies to you. When you finally look over your shoulder, why woluld you still not make some space to share the road with the cyclist?

If you're walking four aside down a shared use path, when a cyclist rings his bell or asks politely to be past, what do you believe you have to gain from shouting abuse?

If you have stepped out into the street, boldly dashing forwards while yabbering on your mobile phone, do you think perhaps that the cyclist ringing his bell and coming at you (while braking) would rather you didn't try to jump backwards, then move forwards, maybe you he might like you to go one way or the other, stay where you are or whatever just as long as you make up your ****ing mind?

When a tourist in a strange town, do you think its a good idea never looking where you're going and only seeing the sites through the view finder of a video camera?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
ChrisKH said:
Why in the City of London, do pedestrian's freely cross on a red man, some with their head down not even looking and then looked surprised and curse when I have to brake heavily and swerve round you? The light's green for me goddammit!

It's our god-given right, as peds ;)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
If you're walking in a group right down the middle of a road, and you hear a cycle bell, why would you assume that there is no reason it applies to you. When you finally look over your shoulder, why woluld you still not make some space to share the road with the cyclist?

The bell applies to us?? Ha-Ha good one, kept me chuckling for hours...............

If you're walking four aside down a shared use path, when a cyclist rings his bell or asks politely to be past, what do you believe you have to gain from shouting abuse?
A sense of deep fulfillment, it also alleviates some of the guilt felt by our "wobberbottoms" clogging the pathways.

If you have stepped out into the street, boldly dashing forwards while yabbering on your mobile phone, do you think perhaps that the cyclist ringing his bell and coming at you (while braking) would rather you didn't try to jump backwards, then move forwards, maybe you he might like you to go one way or the other, stay where you are or whatever just as long as you make up your ****ing mind?
It breaks the monotony. One step forward, 2 steps back, a quick twirl...and...dash for it ;)

When a tourist in a strange town, do you think its a good idea never looking where you're going and only seeing the sites through the view finder of a video camera?Today 10:47
Only in the abscence of a ridiculously long telephoto stills camera.

And, just to re-elaborate on a point from earlier.......

some with their head down not even looking and then looked surprised and curse when I have to brake
You obviously haven't read "pedcraft."

Page 23674, third paragraph down, and I quote:

Whilst waiting to cross the road, ensure that any fast moving traffic has passed before blundering across. Do not worry if a cyclist is approaching, they're not proper traffic.
Simply adopt the head down position, hands thrust deeply into pockets, and march across. In the event of a likely collision with said cyclist, simply adopt the "One step forward, 2 steps back, a quick twirl then dash for it" routine we practiced on page 749.

HTH

Top Bottom