Pedestrian refuge islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No need to 'get into primary' as you approach. Find a position a metre or more out (just enough to command the pinch point) and hold that position. Ride straight. An assertive hand signal as you approach might further deter last minute passes.

D

Deleted member 26715

Rotherham council have been installing these for years, they normally add a bus stop at the same point for good measure

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In North Berwick they make it easier with signs and road markings.
Google street view

I appreciate that the council are trying to highlight the fact that a cyclist may try and pass through the narrowing - but FFS if they want to do it properly make the cycle lane 4 meters wide so the cyclist is not cajoled into cycling in the gutter.

The sign helps though, although I am of the opinion that 'if it needs a sign, it is a crap design'.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Google street view
Looks like they have just painted a car width lane straight through the island?

Around here drivers know the cycle lane paint provides an impenetrable barrier so they can pass as close as they like as long as they don't enter the cycle lane. I cycle outside the lane for part of my route to avoid it.

keithmac

Guru
Pedestrian Islands are the bane of my commute, go through 6 in the relatively short ride to work.

This one's nice on the way home, they come barrelling out of the side street and through the island regardless if you're there or not!.

Screenshot_2017-03-24-10-32-10.png

D

Deleted member 1258

Google street view

Thats atrocious.

Reactions: mjr
If they're new, it might take time for people to adjust. I go through a few wider ones and most people hang back even though I'm not bothered if they don't. I'll only intervene if it's a larger vehicle.

Will Spin

Über Member
Whenever encounter these things, I move into more than primary, I move right over to a position that is approximately where the right wheels of cars are running. It takes a bit of nerve to start with but seems to stop most of those who may attempt an overtake.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I come across loads of these on my local rides. Most of them make no sense. I ride straight down the middle of them and make vehicles wait. I always approach early with my arm stuck straight out indicating my intentions. As I exit and move to one side I acknowledge their patience with an upheld right hand. I never have any bother. Up to now of course. Probably change tomorrow.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
These two annoy me. I move into primary but there is usually some idiot who has to squeeze past me or hammer past me before I make it to the second. There are another five further along the road.
islands.jpg

Then I have to avoid this with a car glued to my right side.
island 2.jpg

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I don't think the majority of the planning meetings for these roads ever mention the words 'what about cyclists'?