Pedestrian refuge islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
This one is always a PITA not helped by the fact there is a series of chicanes and humped zebra crossing before it so people get into the "I must overtake" mentality even though you aren travelling faster then they possibly can.

PVa1h7.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think the majority of the planning meetings for these roads ever mention the words 'what about cyclists'?
We get a mention in the "community contribution" section - as the "volunteer speed-bumps (cheap and disposable)".

OP
OP
Guyincognito76

Guyincognito76

The council have replied to say that these works are not yet complete. I'm a little worried that they stated that 'resurfacing works and new markings are proposed...' surely they mean 'are already agreed?!'

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think the majority of the planning meetings for these roads ever mention the words 'what about cyclists'?
Road designs don't normally go to planning meetings. Even when they're included in a major development, the road layouts can be changed after approval without much review. That's part of the problem.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Brother In Law (poor bloke, married to my Sister) is a Civil Engineer. All proper, been to Uni, all qualified, knows what he's on about.

So having made his recommendations, he tells me the designers and planners then usually ignore him. Its the Luton area if any of our brethren are unfortunate to live there.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
For those that know Leicester, I had a car come by me on Saffron Road only for them to hit an island with their back wheel, it burst and I rode by smiling, Karma.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember one from when I was working, at the time I was working in the Binley area of Coventry. Riding down Hipswell Highway about seven in the morning I had a small hatchback come up behind me and pull out to overtake then realize there wasn't enough room to overtake with the little island coming up so he went the wrong side of the bollards and almost caused a three car crash with the oncoming traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/mZk4SvprKn82

keithmac

Guru
For those that know Leicester, I had a car come by me on Saffron Road only for them to hit an island with their back wheel, it burst and I rode by smiling, Karma.

I've often imagined cars hitting the central kerbing and flipping over, in reality they're far more likely to just take the cyclist out instead.

Amazing how small a gap they think is an opportunity to pass..

Drago

Legendary Member
I remember one from when I was working, at the time I was working in the Binley area of Coventry. Riding down Hipswell Highway about seven in the morning I had a small hatchback come up behind me and pull out to overtake then realize there wasn't enough room to overtake with the little island coming up so he went the wrong side of the bollards and almost caused a three car crash with the oncoming traffic.

https://goo.gl/maps/mZk4SvprKn82

A chap did that recently in our Ccounty. Unfortunately for him, another driver caught it on dash can and he got a ban for dangerous. First dashcam prosecution in the County doncherknow?

GlenBen

Über Member
A few weeks ago I had a car overtake me, realise he didnt have room so went on the wrong side of the bollards, towards an oncoming bus. He was then sat face to face with the bus who refused to move and had to reverse around the bollards and rejoin the queue futher back from when he started.