Pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How long till someone mentions that you didn't use a bell and that you cycled on the pedestrian side.

What about the pedestrians that were walking on the bicycle side? Shouldn't someone say something to them? And shouldn't the parents have better control of their little ones?

When I'm riding through the parks on my usual ride, regardless of the side of the sidewalk that people or little kids (not to imply that kids aren't people) are on, I always slow down so as not to be a danger to them. Even if needed going into the grass to pass them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What about the pedestrians that were walking on the bicycle side? Shouldn't someone say something to them? And shouldn't the parents have better control of their little ones?

Surprisingly, they're walking there perfectly legally. They're allowed - this is a no jaywalking country.

I used to be horrified when I first came here, but now I realise that the UK is more enlightened. Jaywalking laws and pedestrian restrictions are the work of STAN.

How long till someone mentions that you didn't use a bell and that you cycled on the pedestrian side.

Wimp - this is what an AirZound is for.

Scare the child witless, send them running back to their paents in tears and know that the traumatic fear of bicycles will keep them out of the way of cyclists in future

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist

No, it's a path through a park. I don't want to live in a world where kids can't wander around as they like in a park.

When Gosport was trying to build the Light Rapid Transit scheme the planned route was down and excellent cycle route. THe press and LRT peole insisted it was a disused rail route, or a cycle path

We enlisted everyone to protect the facility we started campaigning about a "linear park", a phrase borrowed from the States

It was a successful campaign, but opened my eyes.

I think routes like this are exactly that "Linear parks" and used by dog walkers, walkers, parents children and are all the better for it.

Surprisingly, they're walking there perfectly legally. They're allowed - this is a no jaywalking country.

I used to be horrified when I first came here, but now I realise that the UK is more enlightened. Jaywalking laws and pedestrian restrictions are the work of STAN.

What about the parents not having a tighter "leash" on their little ones? If they get hit by some cyclist isn't more their parents fault for not having more control over their little ones?

No, it's a path through a park. I don't want to live in a world where kids can't wander around as they like in a park.

I agree that kids should be able to "wander" as they like in a park, but a bike path/multi use path running through the park isn't really someplace where a child should be "wandering" about. And in a case where someone's little one's are just "wandering" about wherever they like and if that happens to be on the bike path/MUP than it's the parents fault as much as it is the cyclists.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I agree that kids should be able to "wander" as they like in a park, but a bike path/multi use path running through the park isn't really someplace where a child should be "wandering" about. And in a case where someone's little one's are just "wandering" about wherever they like and if that happens to be on the bike path/MUP than it's the parents fault as much as it is the cyclists.

Only if you want kids to be treated in the same way that dogs need to be.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Parents should have a tag on small children. I would want to make sure my boys don't have collisions with moving cycles! We have a duty of care IMO to be mindful of pedestrians but they have to show common sense also. There are places where children should be left to roam and there are places where mum and dad should keep a short leash.

Stroppy teenagers sat in groups on cycles paths is a different issue all together
whistling.gif

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist

No, it's cyclists' responsibility to avoid pedestrians on paths, no matter how young they are or how erratically they are behaving.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
No, it's cyclists' responsibility to avoid pedestrians on paths, no matter how young they are or how erratically they are behaving.

It has to be both IMO. You can't just let kids run all over the place when they may be at risk. I agree cyclists must be extra vigilant but you can't lay it all with the cyclist. They wouldn't let their children run all over the main roads ................ or would they?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Parents should have a tag on small children. I would want to make sure my boys don't have collisions with moving cycles! We have a duty of care IMO to be mindful of pedestrians but they have to show common sense also. There are places where children should be left to roam and there are places where mum and dad should keep a short leash.

Stroppy teenagers sat in groups on cycles paths is a different issue all together
whistling.gif

i.e Able to roam if they're not in your way, kept on a short leash when they are in your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.