Pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Oh if only the old crystal ball worked
whistling.gif

Are you sure you are not on the wind up?
So I take it you run into kids all the time then?

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I've never liked all these shared-use paths, whether with marked separation or not - they just transfer the car-driver/cyclist antagonism to one of cyclist/pedestrian. They'll only work if they're legally made proper cycle paths on which pedestrians may walk 'permissively' - ie at their own risk. After all, with the network of public footpaths and pavements in this country, pedestrians are the best served of all users (and I write as a keen walker as well as cyclist). If you've ever accidentally walked on marked cycle lanes in Germany without looking you'll know it - if they can work there...

+1

France are pretty strict on it also

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
[QUOTE 1484194"]
...and we as cyclists must ride according to the conditions of where we are riding.

The reason that young children are allowed to roam as they please around a park is (as Alexandra the Meerkat would say) simples.

It's a park, where peds have ultimate priority. Young motheres can let their young brood run free for them to explore and learn new lands. This is ultimately how we learn and evolve. Not to be put on some sort of lease just so cyclists can ride through.

And no, we should not slow down at the sight of every pedestrian - only those who potentially we come into conflict with. Please don't confuse the two.

And when the child is old enough to wander alone, they will be aware of the hazards involved. Culture will dictate this because we know how to behave in a park and how to behave when on a main road. Cyclists and peds alike.
[/quote]

Isn't it funny how the point is often missed? I never said we cannot share paths, though I don't like them. I said parents should exercise control as well as us. It cannot just be down to us because a child on the ruin is too unpredictable.
Yes we also know how to behave in a park. I don't quite see what you are getting at there? Should I get off my bike and play on the swings or something? The play area is the park itself. The path ways in and around the park are there to get us all safely too and from or through the park.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
'reigns' is not intended as a literal thing so it is a valid point. You learn hazard awareness from parents because children seldom see the obvious dangers. Whether that is from a word of warning or tug back makes no odds. The control principle stands IMO
Children learn more from mistakes than anything else. You get hurt, you don't want to get hurt so you don't repeat that mistake (too often)

tongskie01

Isn't it funny how the point is often missed? I never said we cannot share paths, though I don't like them. I said parents should exercise control as well as us. It cannot just be down to us because a child on the ruin is too unpredictable.
Yes we also know how to behave in a park. I don't quite see what you are getting at there? Should I get off my bike and play on the swings or something? The play area is the park itself. The path ways in and around the park are there to get us all safely too and from or through the park.

have you got a warning device like cycle bell? maybe u should use one. and by the way, learn to anticipate, hazard perception perhaps....
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What kind of a comment is that? wtf!
I started by saying that parents need to be responsible for a childs safety as much as cyclists do. At what point did I become some sort of hit and run cyclist?
Well if children are running ammock as you describe and you feel they need to be reigned in then surely you have hit some of them?

tongskie01

Well if children are running ammock as you describe and you feel they need to be reigned in then surely you have hit some of them?
if he never hit anybody, he must be safe cyclist then. so what is he complaining about?

Dan B

Disengaged member
How often do you run into children when you're walking? I see no reason that it should be any more common just because you're riding a bike

(Minor point of spelling: "reining in" is what you do with an errant child (or, I assume, horse). "reigning in" is what the Queen does with reference to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

tongskie01

[QUOTE 1484191"]
No. Children learning to ride are unpredictable and wobbly. As I've already said, if you want to ride somewhere where children won't impede you, stay on the road.
[/quote]
no. he wants to time trial around the park.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
have you got a warning device like cycle bell? maybe u should use one. and by the way, learn to anticipate, hazard perception perhaps....
thumbsup.png

Since when did I say I do not anticipate hazards? I merely stated that children are unpredictable and parents should take the lead.
PS I would suggest that even at the lowest of speeds a grown adult on a cycle would come off better

I'm having a Charlie Brown moment!

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I can't believe so many posters don't actually listen to a point of view!!!!!!

Talk about insular and cliquey

I never said I wanted to TT the park although the dreamers can make up whatever you want to put across your point of view, simple as they are

Status
Not open for further replies.