Peloton advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not keen on advertising gin nor celebrity vanity projects, but this is a magnificent takedown of peloton's BS marketing:

View: https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

bianchi1

Guru
lets not forget the poor actor that misjudged his 5 second of career :wacko:

Sean Hunter, the actor who played ‘Peloton Husband’, says he has also endured a backlash.

“My five seconds of air time created an array of malicious feedback that is all associated with my face, My friend texted me today declaring that I’m ‘a symbol of the patriarchy.’”

Hunter also works as a teacher in Vancouver.

“As my face continues to be screen shot online, I wonder what repercussions will come back to me,” he said. “I pride myself on being a great teacher and developing actor, and I can only hope that this affects neither.”

keithmac

Guru
It's just a painfully cheesy advert, if anyone wants to spend that kind of money on a bike that doesn't go anywhere then good luck to them!.

Drago

Legendary Member
I believe Peloton are either stupid, or think their customers are, if that's the tack they persistently take with their advertising. Even Americans, a hundred thousand of whom are admitted to hospital with toothpick injuries every year, aren't completely dense.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
And they have put their lawyers onto a guy because a segment on his cycling-related YouTube show is called "Digital Peloton News".
IP lawyers bringing frivolous nonsense like this are contemptible scum.

This smacks of the Specialized Roubaix farce, setting the lawyers on to someone using the name before them, that just happens to be a word associated with cycling, and has been forever, that blew up spectacularly in their greedy bully boy lawyers faces, and I hope this does too, perhaps the French language bods could counter sue peleton and get rid of them once and for all.

mustang1

Guru
That advert is excellent. It hits the target audience who consider buying it, and those who cannot afford it just talk about it, and those who are on the fence will probably get it.

I don't like the advert, i dont like any of those exercise-related adverts (own the road, it's yours to own, it's 6AM and you've got this, Helen you are doing great etc). But its better than the typical american advert that has a bunch of dancing (wanna buy a sofa, we got dancers dancing on and off the sofa. Wanna buy some furniture, ditto. Need a holiday? You'll have cabin crew dancing on the wings of an airplane and so on).

Yes, all the actors are fit and good looking. But honestly, did anyone think there would be anyone else? What do you want, quasimodo jumping around on a hump-bike sweating his ass off within the first 30 seconds coz he's so unfit who then turns into a masculine muscly 6'5" dark and handsome (or whatever the cliche is these days) fella who can pump 500W average over 20 minutes?

Nah, that $4bn company hired a good PR firm and made an advert that hit's a home run.

mustang1

Guru
This smacks of the Specialized Roubaix farce, setting the lawyers on to someone using the name before them, that just happens to be a word associated with cycling, and has been forever, that blew up spectacularly in their greedy bully boy lawyers faces, and I hope this does too, perhaps the French language bods could counter sue peleton and get rid of them once and for all.
iDK much about the law but some rich company probably does not care about what's morally correct. If the rich company can burden the poorer one with a whole bunch of paper work which needs to be looked at within a month, that poorer company will go bust. Unless they can have the internet folk back up the poorer company and it becomes a PR disaster, only then will the richer company back down.

mustang1

Guru
It's just a painfully cheesy advert, if anyone wants to spend that kind of money on a bike that doesn't go anywhere then good luck to them!.
I would rather get a KickR and all the gubbins (that elevation gadget, the fan and so on). Still wouldn't go anywhere though so it's a good thing I'm not into stationery training bikes (although sometimes when the weather is bad out there, I wouldn't mind having a go or hooking up with Zwift/similar).

Ste T.

Guru
"And they have put their lawyers onto a guy because a segment on his cycling-related YouTube show is called "Digital Peloton News".
IP lawyers bringing frivolous nonsense like this are contemptible scum."

Years ago I was a camera shop in Dale Street Liverpool called Universal Studios and asked the chap behind the counter do people ever get him mixed up with Universal Studios in Hollywood. He said funny enough they had received a letter from Universal Studios in the US demanding they cease trading under that name. His reply was, as we've been trading here since 1890, I think we'll have to see you in court. He never heard back.

I am blessed with older age. If its raining I don't get on a bike, motorised or meorised.
I can see why competition cyclists have to put the grunt in. I don't eat enough pies or race with a number on my shirt to bother coating my floor with sweat while watching the TV or listening to Vine.
It rains all winter here, I take the dogs for a walk knowing that the pain of putting the legs into action will cost me in the spring.

Top Bottom